IGNORED

help a bonehead

phoenixtexas

Help! I was installing a stainless steel bolt kit and accidentally pulled out the camshaft drive chain guide rail bearing bolt at the base of the left cylinder. It won't go back in. Is there a technique to get it back in (like removing the plugs/alternator cover and carefully turning the engine over to get slack on that side), or will the head have to be pulled off? Any assistance appreciated.

Alien_Hitchhiker

Dear Bonehead - man, you got me on that one. confused.gif Know what I'd do? I'd call my local BMW service dept for advice. Sometimes (if they're good guys) they'll be happy to give a little free advice.

Steve

From one bonehead to another. dopeslap.gif Are you talkn about the camshaft chain tensioner? Sounds like it. It's a three piece assembly consisting of the bolt, spring and plunger. It should be assembled with the piston on TDC, compression stroke. Not sure if you now can rotate the motor to find TDC without jumping a tooth???? It's worth trying. If you can get it reassembled be sure to hand crank the motor through several revolutions to make sure that you have not jumped a tooth. A jumped tooth will likely result in a valve making contact with the piston causing lots of bad things. Hope this helps.

ShovelStrokeEd

He's not talking about the tensioner but rather the chain guide pivot bolt.

To the OP, you may be able to fish around through the bolt hole with an alignment punch and pull it back if things haven't progressed too far. Do not attempt to rotate the motor. If you can't get it lined back up, your gonna have to pull a head.

I think that this is what's called a "sticky wicket".

You may have to remove the chain tensioner to get enough slack to do as Shovelhead suggests. Unfortunately, the left side is the most difficult to do this on. At this stage, not turning the engine is good advice. Hopefully, the chain has not slipped a tooth.

Pat

You may have to remove the chain tensioner to get enough slack to do as Shovelhead suggests. Unfortunately, the left side is the most difficult to do this on. At this stage, not turning the engine is good advice. Hopefully, the chain has not slipped a tooth.

Pat

On second thought, the tensioner may be the only thing keeping the guide from falling into the bowels of the engine, so don't loosen it until you have the guide secured somehow...

Pat

Archived