IGNORED

R1200RT Valve Clatter

tchap

I have a 2007 R12RT, 19000 miles. I get substantial valve train noise on hot or cold engine start. It's intermittment, about 30-40% of the time. I believe it's primarily the right hand side. This being my first Beemer I haven't studuied BMW's valve train and lubrication systems......yet. In my broader experience it acts like a loss of oil pressure due to a leaky check valve or something along those lines. The clatter lasts a second, goes away as soon as oil pressure builds.

Any thoughts or sharing similar experience would be appreciated!

since you said it's mostly on the right side, i have to ask if you park the bike on the side stand or centerstand?

Thanks Dave, I forgot to mention that part. I use the center stand probably 99% of the time.

I was advised that it was hydraulic tappets that had simply lost their fluid, but 'recharge' with a few turns of the engine. All three of mine have done this and I've noticed most of the boxers at the dealer doing this too, with no issue or raised concerns from any of the mechanics.

Just like the rattle off the dry clutch dukes, not exactly a 'design feature' but a characteristic of the machine that does no harm.

I was advised that it was hydraulic tappets that had simply lost their fluid, but 'recharge' with a few turns of the engine. All three of mine have done this and I've noticed most of the boxers at the dealer doing this too, with no issue or raised concerns from any of the mechanics.

Just like the rattle off the dry clutch dukes, not exactly a 'design feature' but a characteristic of the machine that does no harm.

The R12 doesn't have hydraulic lifters. It does have a hydraulic cam chain tensioner on each side which can bleed down (in fact, the R1150's had their left tensioner redesigned to eliminate a cold start-up rattle). Sounds like the OP needs to look at replacing the right side tensioner.

Don_Eilenberger

It's pretty much "they all do that" - especially if left on the sidestand overnight. Mine is nice and quiet if I start it in the garage without taking it off the centerstand. If I wheel it out of the garage, leaving it on the sidestand for 2-3 minutes, I often get a bit of clatter from the right side for 2-3 seconds. If I park it with a warm engine on the sidestand for 20-30 minutes, it's about guaranteed I'll have clatter for 3-4 seconds on startup.

Asked a non-interested BMW mechanic to listen to it.. (non-interested in I wasn't going to have them do any work if it needed it..) He said most R12 engines make the noise, some will even clatter a bit if really hot and you're stuck in traffic. He felt it was nothing to be concerned about.

I'd be curious if anyone has replaced the chain tensioner on the right side and seen any change in the behavior.. it's not a terribly expensive part, and takes about 30 seconds to install a new one.

Archived