IGNORED

R1200R

pbbeck

I have always been in love with the R1200R - conceptually, aesthetically, ergonomically. I'm thinking about makes a change and picking up an R. I just don't anticipate doing any epic tours in the foreseen future, so a lighter, simpler, and more agile bike is appealing to me. I like that the same side bags from the RT/GT can be mounted, so I wouldn't give up too much tourability. I think the R would be more tractable in the city conditions where I find myself most often. Lastly, as I posted in a recent thread, my desire to ride has been somewhat low of late, and I'm considering the possibility that a new/different bike might stoke the fires a bit.

Why does the R1200R get such little mention around here?

It's a great bike, but the lack of fairing limits its touring ability and high speed comfort. If you don't care and are looking for a little variety it could be great.

I don't agree that the touring ability is limited and certainly not the high speed comfort. I hve both an RT and and RR currently. With the right windshield, the RR is quite comfortable and certainly a lot easier to handle in the mountains. I've owned quite a few of both bikes as well as some K's thrown in the mix, and I think it is the best all-around bike I've had. I suggest an extended test ride.

My first BWM was an 1150R. I toured with it all the time. Lots and lots of day trips, numerous overnight multi day trips. I did severl 12+ hours a day on the bike with no complaints. The 1150 had several different windscreens available and I opted for the middle height screen. That with full bags, I was set to go where ever I wanted. You will get more wind on you, but just dress for it or plug in.

Go for it.

I don't agree that the touring ability is limited and certainly not the high speed comfort. I hve both an RT and and RR currently. With the right windshield, the RR is quite comfortable and certainly a lot easier to handle in the mountains. I've owned quite a few of both bikes as well as some K's thrown in the mix, and I think it is the best all-around bike I've had. I suggest an extended test ride.

Decorbin, which windshield works best for you on the R? Have been thinking about one also. Also, does the R already have the mounting points for the sidecases or is that something you have to add?

The R1200R might be the best all-around bike I have owned. If I succeed in getting down to one bike, as I keep saying I am going to do, the R will be the keeper. Lighter and less cumbersome, with good handling and adequate power, is hard to beat.

I think the concept of touring ability is somewhat distorted. I'm guilty of that too, but lately I've been reconsidering what makes a bike tour-capable. Is it the fairing alone? Displacement? Storage? Gizmos? Sure, the GT and RT, the LT and the Wing are übercomfy for long distances, but any bike can do the job if you are willing to take it the distance. A friend of mine just completed a 5000 miles tour of the western states on a Ninja 500! A couple of throw-over sport panniers, a compression sack and some straps and he was good to go. That's exciting, and in some respects it was a lot more hardcore than doing the same on a full-on touring bike. I also remember bumping into a rider in Danmark that had ridden all the way from the UK on a Buell something-or-other (I had to take a picture. See below). Think about Ted Simon on his old Triumph!

buell.jpg

If I make the switch to the RR I would definitely get a windscreen for it, and currently several dealers are offering the sidecases free.

I'd guess with the available top case in addition to the side-bags you should be able to get away for some time on the R. Add a windshield and you're good to go. Handguards are nice to have (I have the GS1100 guards on my R1100R). The R1200R will be by next bike, though its gonna be a while, I still LOVE what I've got.

I'm like you! I really love that bike and am surprised that there is not more conversations about it on this SPORTTOURING site. I'm currently on a Triumph Sprint ST which I am very happy with, but I've had my eye on an R for awhile.

Which top case fits on the 1200R? Does the 49L fit, or just the smaller one?

I've read the 49L will fit. It is ALOT of money but I'm sure its nice.. I would look into Givi for a top case personally, I know somebody that has a Givi top on his 919 (Honda) and it is nice, not a 49L size, it fits 1 helmet, rather inexpensive for what it is.

Which top case fits on the 1200R? Does the 49L fit, or just the smaller one?

I've read the 49L will fit. It is ALOT of money but I'm sure its nice.. I would look into Givi for a top case personally, I know somebody that has a Givi top on his 919 (Honda) and it is nice, not a 49L size, it fits 1 helmet, rather inexpensive for what it is.

I only asked because I already own a 49L. I'd like to keep using that big old goiter if I do wind up getting a new bike.

We have done this before but having owned an 06 1200 RT I went to the 08 1200 R and love it for it's lower center of gravity, balance, nimbleness in the mountains and it's just plain fun. I'm off to Kentucky next weekend and I'm sure I'll put in another 1,000 mile weekend and will enjoy this bike every minute. However, just from an aethestics point of view I couldn't see putting on hard panniers on this bike. I went with the Tourmaster tri-bag system which is a nicer look IMHO than the hard bags. This is a naked bike and I like keeping that way.

Bruce

Didn't we jsut do this?

Heres's some feedback from previous thread.

I'm a fan of the Parabellum Scout on the 1200R.

Sorry. I scanned the forum, but didn't catch the less-than-clear subject line of the other thread. I guess I was being to literal. Now I am being repetitive and redundant.

We have done this before but having owned an 06 1200 RT I went to the 08 1200 R and love it for it's lower center of gravity, balance, nimbleness in the mountains and it's just plain fun. I'm off to Kentucky next weekend and I'm sure I'll put in another 1,000 mile weekend and will enjoy this bike every minute. However, just from an aethestics point of view I couldn't see putting on hard panniers on this bike. I went with the Tourmaster tri-bag system which is a nicer look IMHO than the hard bags. This is a naked bike and I like keeping that way.

Bruce

Got pictures?

Hi All: I have one of the first R1200R bikes released. Mine is actually the release day demo bike delivered to Hebert BMW in Baton Rouge.

My full report/blog from day one is here, with lots of photos:

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2378

We RR Owners hang out over here, with lots of answers to most all questions:

http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=20

Think of the RR as a R1200RT "Lite". It is the same driveline and power plant as the RT, without the fairings, and with a smaller fuel tank. Range is about 250 miles and you probably need to be at the pump for 230 as a general rule.

I am actually kind of waiting to see what the 2010 RT looks like and probably will get one as the "cold, or wet weather bike".

The RR carries the identical side and top cases (large and small) as the RT and the K1300GT. The luggage is cavernous and makes for good touring. Weight difference is that the RR starts out about 80 pounds lighter.

Judy (the Boss) prefers the backrest on the large top case, and from a drivers perspective, I prefer the RT seating when 2-up. The standard RR seat sucks. From the girl perspective, both bikes (RR and RT) are "cute", which is good. The GS is "Ugly" which is bad and causes veto votes.

The RR is much better for riding in heat and humidity that we have in south Louisiana (95 degrees and 90 percent are brutal). Fully fairing bikes are generally miserable without wind deflectors to bring air onto the riders.

I have only one real gripe with the RT, and that is the fairing behind the cylinders interferes with foot placement because of the chin armor in my Motoport Air Mesh II Kevlar pants. I think a lot of the problem is that the stock seat slides me forward.

I have a test ride route that contains a number of really tight turns and some wide sweepers, and both bikes ride almost identically, especially when the RT's ESA is set for sport mode. The ability to adjust the suspension and the windscreen are really nice features, and the nice soft ride of comfort mode is great for the bad roads we have in the Pelican State.

There is a complete discussion of some of the windscreens I have played with, and the RR discussion board contains many more also. I currently have the CalSci tall screen modified to tilt back about 1" or a little more by placing a spacer at the bottom mount points, and it makes a nice quiet spot to hide while doing high speed cruising at 75-80mph. The RR is a fine machine, and probably the most versatile bike BMW makes right now. Cruiser, Crotch Rocket, Street Fighter, all great.

Thanks for the feedback. I will do an extended test ride later this fall. If I'm giggling at the end if the ride, I'll probably go for it. Another option is to get a smaller (and way less expensive) bike like a Kawi Er-6n or Ninja 650 and keep the GT.

Common misconception. This site is actually SPORTTALKTOURING, not SPORTTOURING.

No need to apologize, we all understand.

But the R12R is a great bike. If I get rid of my R11S, the R12R will be my first serious consideration.

I'm like you! I really love that bike and am surprised that there is not more conversations about it on this SPORTTOURING site. I'm currently on a Triumph Sprint ST which I am very happy with, but I've had my eye on an R for awhile.

Bob, sorry for the late answer, but I've been out and about a lot the last couple of days.

I have had several RR's over the last 15 years and have tried all the windscreens. The performance differs widely rider-to-rider. On my current RR, I have a Parabellum Scout. I don't think the wind protection is much better than a Parabellum touring screen, but I like the looks on the RR. I had one on another RR a few years back.

You are close enough to me to take a look at the bike. I also have a BMW touring screen and the Parabellum touring screen in the garage somewhere. If you decide on an RR, you are welcome to try them both out.

If you want to meet somewhere, just drop me a PM and we can work it out.

Archived