IGNORED

rear drive fluid

jmf

I'm changing the gear oil in the rear drive of my 06 GS. I emptied out 12 ounces. I'm figuring that to be 354 ml. Is my math off or was my final drive waaaay over filled. Dealer changed the drive oil at 24000 miles.

So is 180 ml a tick over 6 ounces?

Thanks Matt

Matt, not sure where you got the 354 ml from but that is W-A-Y too much.. It should have had about 22 ml in it (about 7.5 ounces)..

Yes, 180 ml is about 6 ounces..

Twisty

Yes, if you pulled out 12 ounces, it was definitely way over filled. Why not take what you pulled out and go speak, nicely, with the service manager from where it was done.

Yes, 180ml is the correct fill quantity, which is right around 6 ounces (fl, US).

My first clue was when i removed the drain plug before dropping the drive. The fluid flowed out pretty steady for about 15 seconds.

Back together with 180 ml. At 180 the fluid was just starting to flow out the drain hole.

Matt

Ive learned if you want it done correct do it yourself. I probably would not have done the fluid change if not for the new fill level. I believe for the most part dealers are pretty good. I'm lucky that i have always done and enjoyed maintenance on all my vehicles.

Matt

Matt, not sure where you got the 354 ml from but that is W-A-Y too much.. It should have had about 22 ml in it (about 7.5 ounces)..

Yes, 180 ml is about 6 ounces..

Twisty

Look at any Pepsi/Coke/etc. can for this conversion, 12 fl. oz. = 354 ml.

Yet another example of why I service my own bike when I can.

Jay

Good advice. My bike's tires were over-inflated when I picked it up, over 50 PSI in the front, 60 in the rear! Rides a lot better with 38-42 lbs.

Yet another example of why I service my own bike when I can.

Jay

+1 :thumbsup:

Servicing your own bike not only saves money, but the dealer is not nearly as a.r. as I am.

Archived