IGNORED

Front Strut Replacement?

Limecreek

I have a set of Wilbers on the way for my '08KGT. Has anyone changed the front strut? If so, any warnings, advice, pictures or tips you'd like to offer?

A little invasive but if interested and according to the rep rom you need to:

Remove the front and rear seat

Remove the complete engine spoiler

Remove the left and right side panel

Install engine lifter

Disengage ZFE control unit

Remove the air intake pipe

Remove nut from leading link

K43HV_R31023d_small.jpg

Disengage bracket

K44_R34083b_small.jpg

Disconnect plug and cables

K43HV_R31003b_small.jpg

Lift the wheel up until you touch the oil cooler

K44_R31010b_small.jpg

Push link down until strut is free

K43HV_R31024b_small.jpg

Repeat in reverse to assemble and as always you will need some special tools

K43HV_R31028c_small.jpg

Thank you. I do have the ROM...just hoping someone else blazed this trail and can offer some advice.

I am building a engine stand to support the bike and will document the front strut replacement and post it right here.

Willers are 10 days away. I need to get my butt in gear on engine stand.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished installing a new rear Wilber strut in my K12GT. Removing the rear ESA shock was a royal pain in the hind quarters. I worked on it for 2.5 hours and still have some assembly left over for tomorrow evening.

All this time I was worried about swapping out the front strut and just assumed the rear would be the easy part. Man, was I wrong.

I'll have a write up with pics out next week.

Thanks Ed. Front shock goes on tomorrow night. I'll let you know if I need help.

Seth, honestly, if I had to do it all over again I would have taken a plasma cutter to the ESA shock and thrown it in the trash.

To get to the ESA rear, I had to remove the entire rear subframe, wiring harness, pry back the oil tank and so on.

Part 1

Gather your tools; Plasma cutter. :grin:

...Seth, honestly, if I had to do it all over again I would have taken a plasma cutter to the ESA shock and thrown it in the trash.

To get to the ESA rear, I had to remove the entire rear subframe, wiring harness, pry back the oil tank and so on.

Part 1

Gather your tools; Plasma cutter. :grin:

Yikes! :eek:

I like my bike more every time I read something like this.

I like my bike more every time I read something like this.

The ESA strut, because of its size can only be removed from above. The Wilbers strut will be much easier to remove; it is removed from below--about a 30 minute job.

Whip, I have to admit this version of the ESA is better than the ESA on my RT, but it still comes up short in the performance department.

ESA Rear Strut

118342948.jpg

Wilbers Rear Strut

118342959.jpg

Engine Fixture (I had to design and build this--it holds the bike up when replacing the front strut.)

118342969.jpg

Assembly

118343028.jpg

Not having done it, so I could be way off, but wouldn't it be easier to remove the FD and swing arm to replace the ESA rear strut?

Jim :Cool:

Not having done it, so I could be way off, but wouldn't it be easier to remove the FD and swing arm to replace the ESA rear strut?

Good suggestion Jim. Unfortunately the oil tank is still in the way of pulling the strut out the bottom. The subframe has to move back out of the way to provide enough clearance to move the tank back.

I'll post a picture with the instructions.

Good suggestion Jim. Unfortunately the oil tank is still in the way of pulling the strut out the bottom. The subframe has to move back out of the way to provide enough clearance to move the tank back.

I'll post a picture with the instructions.

Looking at the pic, the oil tank is directly behind the strut, correct?

118343028.jpg

If the swing arm is removed, what is keeping the strut from dropping straight down?

Not argueing at all, just trying to get it in my head. Probably 20 seconds of crawling under it would reveal my ignorance.

ESA Rear Strut

118342948.jpg

Wilbers Rear Strut

118342959.jpg

Engine Fixture (I had to design and build this--it holds the bike up when replacing the front strut.)

118342969.jpg

Assembly

118343028.jpg

Man, this makes me sick. I cannot BELIEVE you didn't get the engine support powder coated!!! And no roundel on it? Gah.

Good question.

The top of the oil tank has two tabs, one on either side. The tabs slide into metal slots on either side of the sub frame, so there is not a way to move the oil tank back with without the subframe moving with it--the cross member butts up against the back of the oil tank.

The oil tank is obstructing the strut. It is right up against the strut and prevents it from moving out of the mount.

Oil Tank Front (note the tabs)

118366024.jpg

Oil Tank Rear (note the cross member of the subframe)

118366032.jpg

Greg, regarding the engine fixture stand... when I need to remove the front wheel I place a 2x6 piece of wood under the exhaust pipes and use a small floor jack. The result is pretty stable and doesn't seem to place any undue stress on the exhaust system since it doesn't take that much force to lift the front end of the bike. Since all of the operations involved with removing the front strut involve lifting parts of the front suspension (even further reducing the weight on the front of the bike), is the engine stand mandatory or could the above technique work as well?

I don't know Seth. You are probably asking the wrong guy. I have a tendancy to play it safe; at least when it comes down to this kind of stuff.

I have the entire weight of the bike sitting on the fixture. It is flat and stable. As I was tugging and pulling on the lower link tonight, I didn't have to worry about the bike falling over or the exhast giving way.

As a local Texan, this is something you need not worry about--just come borrow mine. :thumbsup:

It is only a prototype. The production version will be plated.

118366042.jpg

Sweet - did you do your own welding or did you have someone else do it.

Great pictures!

I built a model and then created a set of plans based on the model. After that, Russ, my daughter's hubby, welded it up for me for the cost of a few beers and a Craftsman can opener.

BMW sells their version of the engine fixture for $350. :eek:

One thing I couldn't make or source was this...

medium.jpg

This is a must have cut out socket, used to remove and install the quick release axle. BMW is the only source and it cost me $140. :(

This is a must have cut out socket, used to remove and install the quick release axle. BMW is the only source and it cost me $140. :(

Boy it just keeps getting better and better. BTW where is this used? I can't seem to find it in the front or rear strut R&R procedure in the RepROM...

It is the tool used to remove and install the collared nut from the quick release axle---lower link. It is a two man job when you install it. One man to torque to 145Nm and the other to hold the 12mm Hex key and keep the axle from spinning.

So, when are you going to be ready to pull your ESA? :grin:

medium.jpg 30mm

Compared to the RT, extracting the ESA from a GT is at least 3X as difficult in terms of tools, disassembly and time.

But....it was worth it.

So it looks like the entry fee to replace your shocks is $500 in speacial unobtanium tools made by BMW, and the does nto count the shocks

I am glad i like my ESA - this may be somethig the dealer does, maybe not.

Excellent thread!

Current list price for a set of ESA struts is $4,415. Chicago BMW will sell a set for $3,679. Nuts, eh?

My guess for shop time to replace the ESA is 4 hours, maybe more?

So, an owner of a K12GT that likes the ESA and decides to replace them when they wear out is confronted with a minimum cost of $4K.

I do know of one individual that had his ESA rebuilt and of course you can have Works Performance take the BMW ESA pieces and build a set of Works ESA. So there are lower cost alternatives out there.

Current list price for a set of ESA struts is $4,415. Chicago BMW will sell a set for $3,679. Nuts, eh?

You can say that again. A normal wear item for which BMW provides no (reasonable) service option. :(

Hey Greg, I'm following the procedure through and I can see where the rear subframe and oil tank must be removed and the shock drawn out from above, but I'm not seeing why you have to remove the rear quick release axle (the RepROM doesn't mention this either.) I'm sure you didn't do it just for fun so I assume there's a reason, wondering what hung you up there and why it had to come out?

Gotcha, I see it now. So how difficult did the front strut R/R end up being, looks pretty hairy. Did the whole front fairing have to come off for access?

I will say one thing... if you need to get those shocks rebuilt every 30k miles or so then by comparison the much-feared valve check won't even register on your PITA meter... :grin:

won't even register on your PITA meter...

Checking the valves is going to be a cake walk. :grin:

Both fairings had to come off, but I am telling you the front was much easier than getting the rear ESA out.

I checked for proper sag last night and front and rear were spot on. I took a about a 150 mile ride today and love the way the bike feels.

118342969.jpg

Man, this makes me sick. I cannot BELIEVE you didn't get the engine support powder coated!!! And no roundel on it? Gah.

Yep, Greg is definitely getting slopy. I am so embarassed! Just look at the welding! he didn't grind it down, oh, the horror!

Archived