IGNORED

Remus Exhaust Leak - Help! R1200ST

jaytee

So I sourced a full remus from a member and it looks to be in great condition. I have had a couple of fitment issues on the ST (it came from an RT) that I'm a bit of a loss over.

First, all the parts matched up nicely on my bench, but when I assembled them on the bike I could not get the can to line up. The mounting location on the can is about 1 inch off (the can wants to be closer to the tire). This is even with all the parts not tightened down and tryign to get the can close. I was able to get the can to mount but it took tweakign the whole exhaust a bit as I torqued down on the mounting bolt.

Second, and more worrisome, is that I have a significant exhaust leak at the point where the left header pipe goes into the collector. The original owner said he did not notive an exhaust leak although some of the discoloration indicates that he had a slight leak at that joint as well. It looks to me like this is not a very tight fit to begin with, and the single-screw clamp that holds it will not tighten that joint. I mean, I tighten the crap out of the clamp, but it does not seal the joint.

Any ideas?

JT

Can't help with the fit issues.

Did you check with Remus to see if the RT and ST were the same?

Any auto parts store sells exhaust sealant,which may help

with the leak.

JR356

Yes, I called Remus' US distributor first. They said it was the same part number. I was hoping that some of the members who have put the full Remus system on their ST's would chime in and tell how theirs fitted and how much tweakign they had to do.

Exhaust sealant. Is that what you would use in between two pipes that were fitted with a sleaved joint?

JT

High temp silicone should work. I've used this before with good results as long as the gap is not too large. If it's really large you might need teflon based exhaust tape.

200771193016284.jpg

So can I squirt/smear the gasket maker inbetween the two pipes? will it hold the pressure of the exhaust?

The gap is probably .5mm-1mm about half way around the pipe.

JT

Jaytee,

Can you post a pic of the situation. I remember having one hell of a time matching it up, but wound up with a complete fit. A pic would helop in comparing it to mine or others.

So can I squirt/smear the gasket maker inbetween the two pipes? will it hold the pressure of the exhaust?

The gap is probably .5mm-1mm about half way around the pipe.

JT

I've used the same stuff. I just put a bead around the inner pipe joint and slide them together. Wait 24 hrs for it to cure, and it's sealed.

Archived