IGNORED

Smokies In October

Lockguy

I will be visiting relatives in Maryville, Tn in Oct. I decided to rent a bike and the Honda ST was the closest thing to my RT that I could come up with. Now, where to ride. I have the bike for 3 days and was planning on doing day rides out of Maryville. I generally ride for the sake of riding and not so much the sites. Could anyone offer suggestions? My normal day is 300 to 500 miles on the RT. I have never ridden an ST, so my bottom side may dictate fewer miles than on the RT. The exact dates I will have the bike is the 19th thru 21st.

Thanks

Curtis

300-500 miles can be a long day in the Smokies.

2 lanes, lower speed limits, lots of curves, will make the miles per hour average lower than many places.

Be prepared for that when you plan the days.

Enjoy, beautiful country.

Hope you like BarBQue.

If it's Maryville Tennesse, then Deals Gap is in your backyard.

Check this site out for roads to ride: http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html

Stay away from Gatlinburg, tourist trap.

If you get a chance during the week, visit Cades Cove near Townsend, TN as early as you can.

A good days ride would be south on US 129, over the Dragon, to Deals Gap and the Deals Gap Store http://www.dealsgap.com/store.htm

Stay on US 129 South to NC 143 west, just north of Robbinsville, NC. Soon 143 becomes Cherohala Parkway. It ends in Telico Plains, TN, about 50 miles to the west. On your right just before Telico Plains is TN 360. Take it until it runs into US 411 just outside of Maryville.

Another option going south from Deals Gap is NC 28. Take 28 south until it intersects with US 19 North. Take 19 North to US 441, then north over The Smokey Mountains and Clingman's Dome, the highest point in Tennessee. Before you get into Gatlinburg, turn left on TN 337, also called the Little River Road. You'll see the entrance to Cades Cove a few miles before you get to Townsend TN and US 321 which goes back to Maryville. Before you get to Maryville, look for the Foothills Parkway. It's off US 321, just west of Townsend. It runs south to US 129. When it deadends into US 129, Deals Gap is to your left, and Maryville is to your right.

Your problem is too little time...

Archived