IGNORED

Sudden No Start - 2007 R1200ST - 22,000 Miles

bmurphypdx

Bike started right off this morning, as it consistently has for the past two years. Drove to ferry (5 miles) shut down. Restarted instantly 15 minutes later, rode onto boat. 35 minute ferry ride later, bike started right up. Drove three miles. Stopped bike for 15 minutes. BC lit up but bike would not turn over. Put on centerstand, in neutral, put up kickstand and wiggled it around. Still no joy. EWS was replaced months ago. Now at the dealer (still under warranty). Will update when diagnosis/solution is available.

Essentially the same thing happened to a friend with a 2007 GSA. He stopped for gas and the bike would not start. Turned out to be a failed battery -- replaced under warranty.

Had the same thing happen to me; Bike was running fine, I was running errands for work, then it just wouldn't start. No warning, no slow starting just all of a sudden nothing.

I tried to bump start it myself, but got pissed after hitting my shins on those protruding cylinder heads. (Those R1200 motors have some serious compression!) I got my boss, and made him push me up and down the road 'til it started.

I replaced the battery later that day, and now all is well.

Good luck,

If not the battery,then possibly fuel pump controller.

JR356

A bad fuel pump controller won't cause a no crank condition, will it?

Jay

No.

I vote bad battery. Pretty comon!

The only other possibility that is somewhat comon is a loose battery cable.

Jim :Cool:

If not the battery,then possibly fuel pump controller.

JR356

A bad fuel pump controller won't cause a no crank condition, will it?

Jay

No.

I vote bad battery. Pretty comon!

The only other possibility that is somewhat comon is a loose battery cable.

A few other possible causes: My bike has already crapped out 2 starters in 4 years, so I wouldn't rule that out. And, I once had a no-start that I thought might be another bad starter but was due to corrosion at the battery lead's connection to the starter. Maybe a ST has some tupperware there for protection, but it might be worth a look anyway.

OK. The dealer tells me its the battery. They want about $250 because BMW batteries only have a two year warranty. I asked about the cost breakdown - $147 for the battery and the rest is diagnostics and sales tax. I suspect I can get a battery quite a bit cheaper than that. If it fails, then the charging system is covered by warranty. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jim. I don't have the bike (it's at the dealer) or the manual with me (it's in the top case with the bike at the dealer). I don't see a listing for the 07 R1200ST when I try to find an alternative. Do you have a part number or can you tell me that it is the same as the R, RT or GS? Thanks again.

Thanks, Jim. I don't have the bike (it's at the dealer) or the manual with me (it's in the top case with the bike at the dealer). I don't see a listing for the 07 R1200ST when I try to find an alternative. Do you have a part number or can you tell me that it is the same as the R, RT or GS? Thanks again.

ST part number: 01 BATTERY AGM 1 61-21-7-705-652 $121.66

RT Part Number: 01 BATTERY, MAINTENANCE-FREE 12V 19AH 1 61-21-2-346-800 $141.94

R part number: 01 BATTERY AGM 1 61-21-7-705-652 $121.66

GS Part number: 01 BATTERY AGM 1 61-21-7-705-652 $121.66

Based on this, the Odyssey PC-535 will work, as will the Yousa, though I can't remember the part number.

OK. The dealer tells me its the battery. They want about $250 because BMW batteries only have a two year warranty.

:eek: In a rational world, this would be an argument for paying less, not more. Since it's at the dealer already, you're in a bit of a bind.

Jim,

Thanks for the numbers. On principal alone, I'm getting an alternative and letting the dealer keep their $247 battery.

Selden,

I agree. I told the dealer I was not happy with their approach to this problem (it must take them all of 5 minutes to run diagnostics on the charging system and they did not bother); that they will hold the bike until I get there and I will replace the battery myself and that there will be no charge. They said "Uh, OK."

Thanks everyone,

Bill

Jim,

Thanks for the numbers. On principal alone, I'm getting an alternative and letting the dealer keep their $247 battery.

Selden,

I agree. I told the dealer I was not happy with their approach to this problem (it must take them all of 5 minutes to run diagnostics on the charging system and they did not bother); that they will hold the bike until I get there and I will replace the battery myself and that there will be no charge. They said "Uh, OK."

Thanks everyone,

Bill

I'm impressed that the dealer caved. You must have used just the right balance of firmness and tact.

Well, practicing law for 20 years does have its benefits. FWIW, I picked up a Yuasa battery (YTX-14BS) for $95.00 locally (had to pay sales tax but no shipping).

Bill,

Pacific Power Batteries in Everett has the Odyssey 535 for $127.50.

I've had good luck with them in the past.

3729 Broadway

Everett, WA 98292

Sat. 9-5.

I would have picked it up for you had I known before leaving work. Sorry mate.

Thanks, Kitsap. I actually got one closer to home - Burton Motorsports in Suquamish. Yuasa YTX14-BS. Took it over to Ride West and dropped it in. Works like a champ. Thanks everyone!

Same thing happened to me, did you ever get the matter rectified and/or do you know what the fault was/is?

Craig

I replaced the battery. My understanding is that once these gel batteries go bad, they go bad quickly/instantly. Mine was two and a half years old - battery warranty is two years so that stands to reason. I've ridden the bike several hundred miles since with no problems so I do not think it is the charging system which would have been the next suspect.

Archived