IGNORED

Oops!

Rob L

Changed the oil in the RT this evening. When I removed the oil filter, 2 gaskets dropped out :eek:

I am truly amazed that over 6500 miles I experienced NO leaks :) When I think about where I've ridden the bike, I am truly thankful that a massive oil leak didn't occur while riding in heavy traffic :thumbsup:

Just a heads up..........always look/feel the seating surface for the oil filter to be sure that there isn't an "extra" gasket stuck to the motor :wave:

Thanks for the reminder. I check most of the time, but after 100s of oil changes have never found a retained filter gasket. Apparently the risk is not just theoretical.

Jay

A good way to prevent this from happening is to put a thin layer of oil on the gasket before you screw it back in. It will prevent it from sticking when you remove it.

Somebody really pressed hard when that filter was put on given the two oil gaskets. My experience is the filter won't even start threading when there's an additional gasket, let alone tighten enough to seem secure.

Alas, not true -- I had one stick on a Ford Explorer one time after being well oiled when installed. The reason to oil the gasket (which still is a good idea) is to prevent a dry gasket from twisting itself out of its groove in the filter when the o-ring comes into contact with a dry mounting flange as filter is spun into place.

Somebody really pressed hard when that filter was put on given the two oil gaskets. My experience is the filter won't even start threading when there's an additional gasket, let alone tighten enough to seem secure.

That's been my experiences as well. I don't use the $$$ BMW filters, but I wonder if this sticking gasket is endemic of the non OEM parts?

You do not have to press hard at all to get an OEM filter to go on with 2 rubber gaskets. The stock one will compress slightly on installation, and if it sticks the second one will go right on. I've seen it at least three times, once I did it.

It makes for a good lesson to always check your old filter when installing the new one. I found a filter without a gasket on a tech day once. It took a while to figure out which bike it was from. Not easy to see, but easy to fix.

Jim :Cool:

You do not have to press hard at all to get an OEM filter to go on with 2 rubber gaskets. The stock one will compress slightly on installation, and if it sticks the second one will go right on. I've seen it at least three times, once I did it.

It makes for a good lesson to always check your old filter when installing the new one. I found a filter without a gasket on a tech day once. It took a while to figure out which bike it was from. Not easy to see, but easy to fix.

Jim :Cool:

That's contrary to my experience. The last time I changed oil, I wondered why I couldn't get the oil filter to screw on. After looking, I discovered the old gasket was still stuck on the engine.

Me too. Recently did a quick oil/filter change and was having a devil of a time screwing the new filter in. Normally it just screws right on, snugs up and I'm done. This time it was not taking the threads at all. I was pushing pretty good on it before I finally said "Well, DUH, something's not right here."

Went back and looked at the old filter and I'll be darned if the old filter was missing the gasket. Went and looked up underneath the bike and there it was. Pulled the old one off and the new filter went right on like it was supposed to.

AD

malcolmblalock

It's hard to imagine this happening to me. One of the important steps in changing ANY oil filter is to wipe the mating surface for the filter to make sure there is no grime on the surface that might prevent the new one from sealing properly. I wipe and look to be sure it's clean.

The other thing, and I've changed a lot of oil filters in my 62 years, I always lube the new gasket with clean oil so it will not stick to the mating surface.

Not trying to be a know-it-all, because I've made my share of mistakes, but these steps are mandatory for me.

Archived