IGNORED

progressive or bifocals

yabadabapal

For those of you who wear eyeglasses. I was wondering if you prefer to wear progressive lenses or bifocal lenses when your riding. What are the reasons for your choice.

Whats safer etc.

I have two pairs of glasses. One regular for distance, small scrip and one progressive. I hate driving or riding with my progressive. Things don't stay in focus when moving my head around or rolling my eyes down to see the instruments.

I only wear the progressive for work or like now on the computer or reading.

Never had bi-focal lenses. I have been using progressive for the last 7 or 8 years. No problems with either the instruments or the GPS (mounted above instruments on shelf). Now the map on top of tank bag, does take a little longer to adjust to read it, but that I normally do when not moving.

I did try the GPS first mounted on top of the ignition switch area (center of handle bar), using the factory mount for the R1200RT, but it was too distracting having to look down all the time.

I think if you mount it high enough had have your frames adjusted to stay high enough on top of your nose, you should be OK.

I couldn't deal with the hour-glass shape of the early progressives as it really messed up my peripheral vision... exacerbated since I have a small face and wear small lenses.

So, I've been wearing bi-focals for about 6 years now and am just now starting to get where I have a mid-range problem, i.e., my distance prescription and reading prescriptions continue to diverge leaving a 'gap' in the mid-range. Fortunately, the only time the mid-range is an issue is when I'm working on a computer and I can simply remove my glasses... presto, mid-range. GPS on the bike is starting to be a bit of an issue and my Dr. has once again suggested progressives. Ugggg. I may try them again next year. We'll see (no pun intended).

When my close vision deteriorated to the point where I needed bifocals, I started with a pair of lined bifocals. I hated them for every month of the year that I wore them. The next year, I switched to progressives, which I adjusted to immediately. Other people have reported different results; you can't tell until you try both options.

My doctor said that some times if the lenses are to small, then there is not enough room to provide a good or smooth transition between the two areas.

I do notice, that if my lenses sit to far down (away from the eyes), a large useless area. I go back to the guy several times a year and have him reshape and adjust the frames, to make them sit in the proper ratio to the eyes, this has eliminated lots of problems.

Of course you still get all those funny and unexpected shadows in the back ground, but a full face helmet eliminates those problems.

It will be a decision based on what you want and are comfortable with. I have worn progressives from day one some years back. I am fortunate that I can have a few pairs to experiment with on my plan. I tried the bi's and don't like them while driving. so I know they will be a really big distraction while riding. the big thing with me and bi's is that my eyes have to refocus and be trained in the bottom of the glass to read a gauge/dash. with me and pros, the whole viewing area is pretty much in focus and no need to refocus. It takes some time to get use to any change in glasses- especially your first pair. A good optician is essential help in your choices- find an experienced one that has worked for a long time. It does make a difference.

Hope this helps

Bob

I've used progressive lenses for the last 10+ years. The first generation had a fairly narrow field of acceptable coverage but the newer Nikon or Essilor lenses work just fine for me. I never notice the change from close to far viewing when riding. The smaller the glasses the better the lens has to be. I tried bifocals but I always felt I was looking over something and could never get used to them.

Jeff

I wear progressives and don't notice anything off putting about them while riding. No problem with the GPS, etc.

Progressives only bother me if I am looking at things in a tight space and I am turning my head alot; as in group conversation. It is then that I take them off.

Initialy tried the progressive lenses for a few months, no joy for me. Then 10 years with lined bifocals, and the last 6 or so years with trifocals.

It took me at least several months of wearing the bifocals and trifocals before they became 'comfortable' for me while riding. Now wearing them while riding is second nature.

For me, no safety concerns related to wearing these glasses while riding.

Good luck!

I wear bifocals for normal life, but can't use them on the bike. The mirrors on the RT fall into the reading lens range and get fuzzed up. I just have single vision sunglasses for daytime and single vision photosensitive (that don't darken inside the faceshield) for cloudy and night riding. The dash is far enough away and big enough for me to read it and I stop to read the mappocket on the tankbag.

--

Thanks for all the input everyone. I just got progressives and I cant stand em, but Ill give it some time. Might also try bifocal for a comparison. They seem ok when Im on my bicycle but Im not going 60 mph like I would on a MC. Just a bit concerned about visual accuracy of depth and such important things.

Ride safe

I'm not liking progressives. Mine are rather small and it just doesn't work for me, especially when reading. Maybe if I got frames like Charles Nelson Riley.....

I've worn progressives since I had the need for glasses (7 years).

My first pair of progressives were in a relatively small lens and

I had trouble with the location of the progressive section of the lens distorting my side vision.

I tried next to use just a distance lens and found I could no longer read the map/GPS/gauges, which was unacceptable to me.

My current pair is in a much larger lense with the progressive section slightly lower in the lens. I have had no issues with these.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I just got progressives and I cant stand em, but Ill give it some time. Might also try bifocal for a comparison. They seem ok when Im on my bicycle but Im not going 60 mph like I would on a MC. Just a bit concerned about visual accuracy of depth and such important things.

Ride safe

I had that problem with my first pair of progressives. Went back to the eye doc and they checked the lenses and found they were made wrong!

I've been wearing, and riding with, progressives for years. The only issue I had was with a GPS shelf that put the GPS both high and close, which meant I had to tilt my head back to bring it into focus. Got one that set it right at the base of the windscreen and it's been fine.

The only time progressives give me a problem is when backing up a car, or especially when hooking up my truck to the trailer. I can't turn my head far enough to get a full view through the lens, I get a half-in/half-out view that's useless. So I just take 'em off for that (my distance vision is fine).

I can't see distance in the mirrors with my progressives while riding the RT. I have to cock my head way down to see behind. The Harley mirrors are way up and fine to see back.

Progressives are fine once you've acclimated to them and that didn't take to long in my space. What sucked was peering left/right. With progressives I understand that curvature is limited so goes left/right viewing clarity without turning the head. Seeing the GPS and instruments, no problem. Now put on sunglasses that are polorized and some weird viewing is on tap. It has something to do with the stresses in the plastics of the facesheild.

Now I'm looking at going back to contacts. I looked into laser but even with advances it's a trade off. Excellent far distance, good luck on close. Once they close the gap and can do both consistently I'm going for the knife.

Definitely single script lens for me since distance is my issue and not the short range. However, I do like the progressives over the split line bifocals in all other scenarios.

I'm in the progressives camp. Tried progressives first, hated them. Tried bifocals; hated them. Tried trifocals; hated them. Suffered for another year or so with single vision lenses til I got to the point that I couldn't see even when squinting and having them on the tip of my nose. So tried progressives again. Wore them everyday, had them readjusted a couple of times to be sure they sat right, and all of a sudden they were fine. Next prescription also was fine, and these frames are pretty small.

I need glasses all the time. Distance vision is terrible. If I take off my glasses, I can read things about 6-8 inches from my eyes. When riding with progressives I have no problem with distance, the gauges, or reading a map while riding (no GPS). I'm used to making small adjustments with my head to keep things in the correct part of the lens, and don't even realize that I'm doing it.

Give yourself some time with the progressives; you may find that you adjust well over time. If not, after a few weeks go back to your doctor and make sure they are adjusted correctly, and the correct prescription. I'm very satisfied with mine.

John Ranalletta

I wear progressive trifocals in clear and sunnies. No problem. Doesn't seem to matter which lab grinds them either. The clears are plastic from a high end (Zeiss?) lab and the sunnies are from WalMart.

I wore glasses for years... but fortunately never graduated to bifocals... instead, I graduated to cataract surgery and reading glasses, so I don't have to wear lenses anymore while driving...

You might look into contacts for distance and reading glasses for up close when you aren't out riding...

Regards -

-Bob

I have progressives and have had for about 7 years.

The latest pair are high end lenses, there are about 4 generations of lens design and this last pair are absolutely the best. I don't wear them when I sleep but otherwise they are on my face.

I picked them up at Costco with anti scratch anti glare and they have a 2 year warranty have replaced the lens in one pair free of charge, funny how they scratch when dropped on asphalt.

I've mentioned before that in Canada at least pilots cannot wear progressives because depth perception can be confusing, not a good thing in landing.

I have one pair of reading for working on the bike, looking up close at a part with progressives is obviously a non-starter.

For me the bi-focals work. I tried the progressives, but didn't like them. Oh, and I wear polorized bi-focals with my full-face Shoei. Don't have any problems. To each his own. :wave:

I tried the progressives, but didn't like them.

My first week with progressives was rough. But I understand that it takes a while to get used to them and that "while" is different for each person. Mine were fine after that first week and I use progressives with the "Transitions" (change to sunglasses) option. Wear them all the time. Reading, on the motorcycle, on the golf course.

thanks for all the informative posts. Now of course I must do what I always do which is say something completely ridiculous.

Aftr reading the posts, I was just thinkin how cool it would be if you could get your face shield made into some sort of lense. Progressive face shield, bifocal face shield. How about a semi partial night vision optimizer face shield that slightly helps define things at night. I said it was ridiculous. Thanks for all the great posts.

ShovelStrokeEd

I just pulled the plug and got Lasik. Solved all my vision problems except for some mild halo at night.

To be fair, it was over 10 years ago now and I'm starting to need readers except in the best of light. Still no problem reading the GPS or road signs.

thanks for all the informative posts. Now of course I must do what I always do which is say something completely ridiculous.

Aftr reading the posts, I was just thinkin how cool it would be if you could get your face shield made into some sort of lense. Progressive face shield, bifocal face shield. How about a semi partial night vision optimizer face shield that slightly helps define things at night. I said it was ridiculous. Thanks for all the great posts.

Don't forget those when times you ride with your visor up a bit.

Your readers would be up around your brow. :grin:

I wonder if progressives work best if you don't have a large correction for distance? I too had lasik over 10 years ago and so my prescription on top is light...just a tweek.

How about a semi partial night vision optimizer face shield that slightly helps define things at night. I said it was ridiculous. Thanks for all the great posts.

The EXO-1000 Scorpion helmet has that internal lens that you can flip down... I have had mine replaced with amber for better night vision... course... that does make it a little difficult in bright sunlight...

Regards -

-Bob

Tried progressives two years ago and hated the problems with edge distortion and depth perception -

Got a new very high end pair with '360' lenses a couple of months ago and they are terrific -

I'm using progressives for over a year now but I think my next pair are back to plain lined. I never had a problem with lined and I really still dislike the limited field of focused vision with progressives.

I think it would really be a pain to have to move my head around with progressives to get a good focus. Especially while wearing a helmet in a 70 mile an hour wind. Just doing a head check with the windshield down can catch me by suprise at times.

• 4 weeks later...

I have progressives and lined bifocals in sunglasses, photograys, and clear. I didn't think I could get used to the progs at first attempt (10 yrs ago) and after 1 week took them back for lined. Second attempt worked out better. Now I use them all the time. I like the lined bi sunglasses because they're darker than any other sunglasses I've ever seen and have ear pieces that fit well under a helmet... those are the only reasons. If it's your first time with progressives I'd recommend going with the largest lens that fits your face (aviator glasses come to mind) as the larger the lens, the greater the lateral correction. My progressive photograys are like medium to small rectangles and do OK, but the prog aviator sunglasses I have provide a much better field of view, they're just not quite as dark as the bi sunglasses.

It's easier to transition view between the road and the dash with progs. With the bi's invariably there's a point I want to focus on that the lenses don't cover.

As has been mentioned, I agree that you probably want to stay away from polarized lenses. Good luck

BTW-

Polarized glasses in a helmet does not work so well- things look as if you are in a 3-D movie.

Bob

You say that like it's a bad thing. :rofl:

Oh yea, progressive for me. Never a problem. Mine are weak too though.

I bought a pair of "cheater" 1.50 lined bifocal, non polarized sunglasses, with uv protection for $20. They are awesome, good wrap around fit, can see great and just a little tilt of the head to see the gps.

Progressives require re-training the brain to interpret the input to the eye. Naturally, this varies by individual.

I never did get used to progressives. Every time I moved my head, the image zoomed toward me and away from me. Yo-yo vision. I was nauseous most of the time.

Now I'm back to my lined trifocals. They just work.

Yes the answer to the question is: personal preference.

Archived