IGNORED

Connecting Batteries

R1150RT_MLC_Response

R1150RT_MLC_Response

I have an R1150RTP, dual battery version. Is it possible to connect the batteries to give the electrics more oomph, especially for cranking it over?

Yes it is. You need to connect both terminals of each battery, +ve to +ve. -ve to -ve with equal length cables - do not rely on the bikes ground connection for the -ve leads. The other very important thing is that both batteries must be the same capacity and type, I would only parallel off new identical batteries - a pair of AGM batteries would work - do a search on here for Universal Battery or Panasonic for suitable low cost alternatives to the overpriced OEM Gel battery - BTW, I would avoid Gel batteries like the plague for motorcycle use...

Andy

Is it possible to connect the batteries to give the electrics more oomph, especially for cranking it over?

Why would you need that? The standard setup has been cranking these bike in an admirable fashion since production. If you were an authority rider with the bike not running - but still needing electrical loads to be fed, then the second battery makes sense, but to lug that extra weight around for no particular reason seems odd to me?

Andy

The other thing to consider is to make sure that although the batteries could be connected in parallel, just make sure that you have a system in place that will prevent the draining of both batteries should one of them fail. At least that way you will still be able to start the bike.

Talk to you local auto sparky or perhaps someone here has a solution.

Steve

Archived