IGNORED

RT brake servo failure

Albion

Pulled up for gas today, but when I restarted the RT1150 engine, there was no brake servo action. Jeez, you have to squeeze that lever hard to stop!

This was after a 120 mile run, where everything behaved normally.

Stopped, then started the engine again, and all was fine for the rest of the ride.

Should I panic, or is this just one of those quirky BMW things?

Only considerations are that I had bled the control circuits around a month ago. All seemed to go smoothly with that.

Also, this failure happened after replacing the tired BMW battery with a new Odyssey yesterday. Coincidence no doubt…

Thoughts and wisdom will be much appreciated!

ShovelStrokeEd

Did you have the hand or foot brake engaged when you started the bike?

Did you give the system time to cycle and complete its boot sequence?

If you can't remember doing either of those, you might want to pass by the dealer and see if any fault codes are stored in the ABS computer.

It could be something as simple as a lightly sticking brake light swtich.

Ed, thanks for the fast answer. All of those things you mention are a possibility.

Truly, I cannot remember, just started bike on mental autopilot as usual.

Guess the answer is to pay complete heed to what I am doing for the next week or so, see if it happens again, and in what circumstance.

Kindest regards, Alan

Blue Beemer Dude

My experience with these things echoes what Ed suggested. If you even look at the brake lever the wrong while whilst starting the bike, the self-test may not pass. I've also experienced ABS faults on a weak battery, but that doesn't seem to be your issue.

I'd say be careful everytime you start off, do your own self-test of the brakes. Otherwise, it's just one of those "quirks" that we love so much about BMW!

Michael

This also happened to me last week on my '04RT. Before I took the bike to my dealer he told me to make sure that the rear brake lever wasn't impeded in any way. Sure enough, upon close inspection, there was an itty-bitty piece of rock between the lever and the outer bracket preventing the lever from returning all the way up to engage the switch. Rock removed and super-power brakes back to working fine. Hope this also works for you as it is very disconcerting!

563521-DCP_2084BroadusMT-small.JPG.3c7ab5aeafcbd251af4941030c4656c0.JPG

Archived