IGNORED

K1200GT - Mysterious Noise

Rogue_Trader

I am about to have my 36,000 mile service, and need to steer the BMW dealer concerning a noise which is actually long-standing, but now more noticeable.

When I am going 60-65 in sixth gear, and am going totally straight, all I have is the wind and engine noise. However, if I slightly tilt the bike, for instance, to respond to a very gradual turn or switch from one track within a lane to another, I hear a high-pitched noise/vibration. It goes away upon straightening up.

Any ideas on this? I'm sure my dealer would LOVE to help me, but I'd like to get some idea going in as to what this might be. (I really don't like mysterious noises). Thanks all.

This seems to happen, new tires or old. I have new at the moment, when the seemingly louder noise was heard. Michlelins PR2 front and rear. Thanks for the idea, keep 'em coming!

Any possibility it is from your riding gear?

Changing attitude of the bike putting airflow on new places?

Helmets, jackets can produce whines.

I'll try these out as I ride over to the dealer. It did seem to me, however, that the noise was from the bike itself. The airflow IS different, in that I put on my Aeroflow vice the stock windshield...I can hear more now, and that may be a part of why it sounds "louder" now.

Could it be your front tire. I've had some tires sound like that.

Exactly my thought. And I always had it worst with Pilot Roads, even with <1000 miles on them (though I've never run PR2's). I now run Metezler's and all is quiet.

Could it be your front tire. I've had some tires sound like that.

Exactly my thought. And I always had it worst with Pilot Roads, even with <1000 miles on them (though I've never run PR2's). I now run Metezler's and all is quiet.

I run the PR2's and so far they are quiet. The tread is different than the PR's. As the miles pile up we'll see if they stay quiet.

Went to dealer today and voiced my concern. The service manager concluded it is the PR2's making the noise, due to slight cupping on the sides. I'll keep a watchful eye/hear on the noise. In the meantime, case closed. Thanks all!

Archived