IGNORED

How about XM subscription in Canada?

Hermes

I went thru Denver last week and picked me up a Roady II for the total of $49, and a $49 set of home and car asseccories. Good deal at Best Buy, me thought.

Now that I am home in Canada, where the tight asses at the CRTC (Communication watchdogs) are insisting that XM must have x percentage of Canadian content b4 it is allowed here, How can I cheat the system and get a subscription anyhow thru U.S. sources, or otherwise.

Anyone out there in Cold Country got experience with that?

Thanks Jurgen

I've been wondering about that myself - my new car has an XM radio in it and I'm wondering if it will work up north. I'll be traveling to my cottage in Muskoka for Canadian Thanksgiving so I can tell you after that if the radio even works up there. Sure hope so - its nice to have on those long drives.

Jim

(misplaced canadian)

You can try www.xm411.com for information, but the consensus seems to be that XM works OK in the southern parts of Canada and that you have to go pretty far north before it becomes unusable. Subscription? You just need a cooperative individual with a US address.

As far as official service in Canada goes it seems to be a pretty controversial topic among XM-heads due to the amount of bandwidth that would need to be dedicated to Canadian broadcasting (to make the regulators happy) relative to the number of potential subscribers. I think XM would be thrilled to introduce Canadian service tomorrow if there weren't so many strings attached.

I wish all you northern folk well with XM - I have it, love it, and think everyone should be able to enjoy it. I do wonder how strong the signal will be that far north. From the XM FAQ's:

Is XM Service available in Canada and Mexico?

XM is only licensed to provide service to the US (All states except Alaska and Hawaii), its territories and adjacent waters. XM's satellite signal reaches into portions of Canada and Mexico near the U.S. borders however, XM's service is not currently sold in Canada, Mexico or any other region outside of the continental United States.

With the satellites so low on the horizon, I'd expect the signal to be marginal, with more dropouts from interferences from buildings and terrain, especially when on the move. However, I am not in a position - literally - to do more than suppose. tongue.gif

One other thing: Can you receive XM Online? It comes with a standard subscription now.

Hi Jurgen:

Sat. radio is coming to Canada soon. I was at a track day with the 1200RT and stayed in Belleville. There was a store right across from the Comfort Inn advertising Sat Radio "coming soon"

I know two friends that use a US$ credit card to get XM in London, Ont. I can tell you it works great, especially with the antenna on the roof. Still works with the antenna on the dash but with some dropouts.

Good Luck.

What can I say.........

ask a silly question and our enlightened DB members do come thru with the answers.

Thanks to all.

I have a relative (daughter) in Seattle and I think I can list her then as the billing address, and, oh yes, I also have a credit card. thumbsup.gif

Jurgen

I have a relative (daughter) in Seattle and I think I can list her then as the billing address...

Well, then... as long as your daughter will vouch for your good credit!! smile.gif

FYI: XM bills my card in 3 month chunks. Also, great customer service, etc. I don't mean to sound like a shill for XM, but I do think it is a great "OTHER" source of programming. I hope it comes to Canada soon.

XM does die in the not so far north of Canada. I rode the AlCan last year, and when in AK I asked about XM there. The fellow I asked said "yes, it works". Mine didn't, so there must be another subscription required.

The fellow I asked said "yes, it works".

I think he must have meant "yes, it works... if you have nothing between you and the southern horizon". There's no special subscription for Alaska but in Anchorage one XM satellite is at 12 degrees elevation and the other is less than one degree. I would guess that a fixed location (like a home) where you had a clear sight and could aim the antenna precisely might get some signal, but reception in a vehicle would have to be pretty poor.

OTOH in Toronto the elevation of the two satellites is 27 and 37 degrees so performance should be reasonable.

Sirius sat radio has been approved by the CRTC for broadcasting in canada, with an increased canadian content. No idea what it will cost.. I'm sure Ted Rogers who's in bed with every politician of every stripe will have his finger in the sat radio pie too. Why not, he owns everything else from radio stations, tv stations, cable tv, internet, home and wireless phone.. it's the only thing he "dudn't" have.. dopeslap.gif

XM in London, Ont ... works with the antenna on the dash but with some dropouts

In addition to the benefit of being closer to the birds, many US cities have repeaters for signal augmentation beneath high buildings ... these obviously are not installed in Canada.

Actually I would be quite happy if they added the CBC to the news lineup on XM as I watch that on satellite TV and prefer it to many other options. Unfortunately I think the CRTC requirements went well beyond that. But I guess if Sirius can cut a deal then XM should be able to as well. Seems like kind of a bad deal, though... we get cheaper prescription drugs and what does Canada get in return? Howard Stern.

Well said Gadget Boy, I just found out that Rogers took over Sprint Canada as my ISP.

Beware of negative Billing Options when Sat Radio opens up in Canada wink.gif

Jurgen

XM dies in the states too, Anywhere with hills and trees. Not just the Great White North. Works great in the flat center of the US where they have not invented mountains or trees yet. Also works great in big cities that have ground based transmissions. Where I live in Maryland, I am not too impressed with the reception frown.gif

Pay for a full year with a credit card and get a discount. That way you do not have to annoy your friend from the states every 3 months.

Archived