IGNORED

Clutch oil weeping at reservoir cover.

epmyers

I installed a RAM reservoir cover mount on my '09 R12RT and now I'm weeping (seeping) clutch oil between the reservoir and the cover. This isn't running out. It's not like I'm losing oil or there's a puddle or anything. It's just an oily wetness that develops at the seal, if you will. I clean it off and then it's back the next day.

This has been going on for about 4 days now.

The instructions that came with the RAM mount said, in big bold letters: "DO NOT REMOVE RESERVOIR COVER." Is there something super sensitive about this? Any reason why I shouldn't just pop off the cover and wipe down the seal?

Any suggestions?

Nice n Easy Rider

If you didn't remove the clutch reservoir cover (per the instructions) then my guess would be that you tightened the RAM mount too much and have distorted the gasket/seal. You might be able to back off the fastening screws a tad to see if that helps. Did they suggest a specific torque for the fasteners? If that doesn't work you can try resetting the seal (but I'd probably have a replacement handy, just in case).

I assume I can just take the reservoir cover off and inspect it, right? I mean this isn't any more difficult that filling a brake reservoir, is it?

It's BMW's reputation for over engineering that has me second guessing myself on everything...

Nice n Easy Rider
I assume I can just take the reservoir cover off and inspect it, right? I mean this isn't any more difficult that filling a brake reservoir, is it?

It's BMW's reputation for over engineering that has me second guessing myself on everything...

I have never taken mine off so I can't advise you on this. I'm sure the manufacturer of the reservoir mount is just CTA by suggesting that users of the mount don't screw up their reservoir seal by removing the cover. In my previous post I had suggested that perhaps you tightened the replacement screws too tight and compressed the seal. But after, I thought the opposite could be true as well - perhaps one (or more) of the screws is not tight enough. Can I assume you've checked the screws to make sure one hasn't loosened? Did the kit you used recommend loctite on the screws? I guess you would have nothing to lose by loosening the screws again to "free up" the seal and then torquing the screws down again using a diagonal pattern. I think I'd try that before I remove the cover.

Surely someone else who does a lot of wrenching can weigh in on this.

No problem with taking the cover off. Just make sure that the handlebars are in a position that keeps the reservoir level. If you some how nixed the gasket/seal you may not be able to see it even with an exam. You might want to just replace the gasket/seal and and carefully retighten the cover using a cross pattern as George suggested.

Archived