IGNORED

R1200RT standard Tool kit??

VinnyR11

Ummmm, is my dealer playing a trick on me, or does BMW now think that a "tool kit" consists of a 25 cent screwdriver, and a hex key?

I was very impressed with my R11's set of tools. It thought it was much better than any other I had on other bikes.

I went to do some minor work on my new bike, and thought I'd check the toolkit, and there is just about nuthin' in the pack. I mean it's almost silly how little is there. Is this right, or did they forget to pack it?

Vinny, that is what you get.. Not even many screws on the bike so whey the screwdriver?

You know that big weight savings on the 1200RT that BMW heavily advertises? It has to come from somewhere.. Tool kit is good place to start & it even saves BMW some money to use to buy the advertising to tell you about the weight savings..

You can’t even remove a front wheel with the bike’s as-sold tool kit..

Twisty

I, too, got the Fisher Price "tool kit" on my 2009 R12RT. At first I laughed... then I remembered how much I payed for the thing, and I felt kind of insulted.

Vinny,

Go to Harbor Freight, get:

Star/trx bit set

and/or

more torx bits

I usually carry the first item (compact and lightweight), and the 45 and 50 from the second item. Most of the time it's 27, 30, 45 and 50 that you use.

and

hex bits (you really only need the 8mm one mostly, for engine oil drain, tranny fill)

Don't know if you really need to carry this on the bike, but you need it for tune-ups.

and

Extended spark plug socket for remove/replace plugs.

Same, carry or not?

Get or pick from you existing tools a 3/8" drive stubby ratchet wrench, a standard ratchet wrench, a short extender and a standard extender.

I also carry a deep/long 15mm socket for the muffler clamp.

Get a Marc Parnes or other quality spark plug coil puller.

Get a set of 0.15 and 0.30 mm feeler gauges, two each for valve adjustments, also if you want to do the rocker end play adjustment you need a wider range of gauges.

See several threads on tools for removing the front wheel... A spark plug socket can do it if you get the right one, or buy something from BMW, basically a 22 mm hex.

Low range and medium range torque wrenches... I don't carry these onthe bike, they are stay at home items.

Two 10 mm open end box end wrenches for throttle body adjustment, and a homemade differential manometer or a twinmax.... see many threads on this (don't use mercury for a homemade device). (Carry only the wrenches)

An 8mm open end box end wrench. (at home I keep a full set of metric wrenches)

17, 19 and 22mm sockets (22 mm if needed to use your 22mm hex tool for front wheel removal.

If you want get:

E sockets

But we have never used ours. I think just the shift lever needs one.

Also you need an allen/hex for valve adjustment, but I can't tell you the size.

Edit: T-20 for the alternator belt cover. A sticky rope tire repair kit, slime pump, repair tape, wire, a set of various needle nose pliers, a tire pressure gauge, flashlight, etc....

Here is how I created my tool kit... I did my 6k service using only my tool kit tools. Every time I was missing something, I added it to the kit! By the end of the service I had a complete, yet compact, set of tools, each with a demonstrated purpose.

Here is how I created my tool kit... I did my 6k service using only my tool kit tools. Every time I was missing something, I added it to the kit! By the end of the service I had a complete, yet compact, set of tools, each with a demonstrated purpose.

That is how I created my above referenced kit!

Jim :Cool:

I don't usually do my own service, primarily because I don't enjoy it at all, but I at least want to carry and own enough stuff to remove tires, put on the random farkle here and there, make adjustments, and get going with simple repairs on the road.

The above info is really helpful, especially for getting an on board kit together.

I never ordered from harbor Freight before. Per Jan's recommendation (thanks), I checked out their website and their prices seem great. How do their tools hold up?

How do their tools hold up?

If I were making my living with them they would not be my first choice.

However I bought a basic metric set from them, and have since added some more "specialty" tools (torx bits and wrenches,extended spark-plug socket etc).

In my experience they seem more than adequate for a home mechanic. :thumbsup:

I have no Stake in the company. Just a satisfied customer.

I don't usually do my own service, primarily because I don't enjoy it at all, but I at least want to carry and own enough stuff to remove tires, put on the random farkle here and there, make adjustments, and get going with simple repairs on the road.

The above info is really helpful, especially for getting an on board kit together.

I never ordered from harbor Freight before. Per Jan's recommendation (thanks), I checked out their website and their prices seem great. How do their tools hold up?

You may not enjoy it. But I am sure you would enjoy saving all that money, right?

How do their tools hold up?

If I were making my living with them they would not be my first choice.

However I bought a basic metric set from them, and have since added some more "specialty" tools (torx bits and wrenches,extended spark-plug socket etc).

In my experience they seem more than adequate for a home mechanic.

Another option is to look at the Evolv line of tools at Sears. I have purchased a few sets of that line and while they don't say craftsman on them, they seem nearly as good at a fraction of the price. If you can wait, just keep checking the Sears flyers. They seem to put certain Craftsman tools on sale on occasions, but you have to watch and wait for the sales.

Wayne

I've used the HF tools a fair amount, mostly the Torx and Alen sockets, plus some of the screwdrivers and extensions, and nearly all of my speciality low use tools. I have only once broken a HF socket. In general they are fine for the occasional user, though all of my regular sockets and wrenches are Craftsman!

Jim :Cool:

+1 For Adventure Designs. A little pricey, but everything is there specific for your bike. I did my 24K service with this kit and only had to get the feeler gauges for the valve adjustment.

I took a long look at this, and think it's the way I'm going to go. The one stop shopping is a real plus for me, and it looks like pretty much everything I'll need.

I like that idea! All that is needed and nothing extra. I'm sitting at 3500 so I've got time to plan this one out. Appreciate the heads up info.

• 4 weeks later...
Paul Szilard - Australia

I bought my R12RT '07, second hand. the previous owner had an L1 Berner Tool, which he kindly included in the sale. I then added a multi Allen Key set and a puncture repair kit. So that's my kit at the moment. Oh, and an LED torch clipped to the CD player's flip up lid.

Here is the Berner:

BernerTool.jpg

It has Torx and hex and Allen bits. in the handle and on an extra pod.

Archived