IGNORED

How to adjust gear lever height R12RT

VinnyR11

I've done a search, but I can't get it to select down to what I'm looking for, so sorry if this has already been asked/answered.

I think you can adjust the height of the R1200RT gear lever. I want to raise mine slightly.

Can you do this? If so, please let me know the procedure or provide a link if this has already been covered.

Thanks.

Easy... remove the silver peg carrier on the lower left hand side. This gives you access to the shift lever and the locking bolt. the had of the bolt is a Torx or Star and you will need a matching socket. You must remove the bolt, not just loosen it.

then pull the lever off and move it.

Thanks. I'm giving this a shot before spending $ for a peg lowering kit. The (in my case) low gear lever is really straining my leg and ankle in order to dip under it.

If you have the correct star socket the entire process will take, maybe, 15 minutes... that is if you stop for a beverage halfway.

the brake side is adjusted via the connecting link.

The shifting rod itself is adjustable. There is no reason to pull the shifter lever off the spline. Just loosen the lock nut of the threaded rod (shifter to transmission), remove the lower nut, pull back on bolt (removes rod from back of shifter lever) and turn either clock or counter clock to lower or raise the shifter. Retighten.

• 5 weeks later...
Paul Szilard - Australia
Yes, that is certainly true for fine adjustments, but if you need a big change, moving the shifter is the way to go...

I wanted to move the lever forward, so I bought a Touratech Gear Lever:

01-047-0140-01.jpg

Only problem is that the spline hole doesn't fit! I think that the powder coating had covered some of the groves. Unfortunately it seems impossible to get this off, as it is bonded to the metal. I am contemplating returning it.

Grumpy-ol-Fart

The touratech shifter is damn tight because of the powder coating, however it really isn't that big a deal. I took a medium sized flat blade screwdriver and drove it into the split in the shifter, opening it up a bit, slid the shifter on where I thought I wanted it, got on the bike and slid my foot under it, took it off and moved it one slpine down and tried it again, then pulled the screwdriver out and torqued the retainer bolt down. No problemo...

+1. Same issue with mine. I did the exact same trick with a flat blade screwdriver. I think you will find if you return it, you'll have the same issue with a new one if it's replaced.

Paul Szilard - Australia

I did do the screw driver trick, but still no joy, but I might try a fine triangular file to see if I can clear the splines, before returning it it.

It is ridiculous that after charging over $100 (AU) I have to spend ages making the part fit!

Archived