IGNORED

Looking for a wire...

Pat St. Jean

Hi everyone,

Hoping to tap in to the collective wisdom to get a HAM radio related project done this winter. I'm looking for a switched wire, only powered when the bike's on, that I can tap in to for relay control for an APRS tracker I'm going to mount under the luggage rack on my '04 R1150RT. I'll be powering the radio, GPS, and CPU off of the battery, I just want to make sure it's only running when the engine's turning over. :)

Thanks!

Pat

Pat, If you only want the relay triggered with the engine running you can use the Blue wire coming out of the top of the alternator (only has power with the engine actually running)..

Of you can just add a (2 post) oil pressure switch (used for fuel pump control on some cars) using a TEE at the lower oil pressure light switch crankcase tap.. That way your relay will only trigger when the engine has oil pressure (running)..

Twisty

Thanks for the great ideas. Once I get the house remodel under control and have cash I'll be putting this together. Since I've got to replace the battery this fall it's the perfect time to do some wiring as well!

Pat

Archived