IGNORED

K12GT2 - squeeling brakes and warped rotors

hcmiller92

I'm about ready to take my '08 in for its 6K service soon. I'm a little less than perfectly happy with the bike because of a few issues:

1) brake pad sensor warning light on 90 percent of the time (except when I ride by my dealer's shop)

2) shuddering in the clutch when launching in 1st gear (I guesss they all do this so I won't worry about it)

3) terrible squeel in front brakes whenever coming to a stop (drivers of Hyundais and Kias look at me funny whenever I pull up next to them at a light and they seee the BMW roundel)

4) Pulsing from the front rotors when brake is applied

My frustration lies with the latter two items. I have discussed this problem with the service manager of my dealership since the bike was delivered new, a year ago. I'm pretty sure the pads are glazed and now that the pulsing is pronounced, I'm convinced that there are problems with the brakes, probably a caliper sticking or something similar. The service manager just kind of sloughs it off. This is a $20,000 motorcycle and shouldn't sound like some cheap bike. I've had 10 or 12 BMWs and never had any brake problems.

My question is: what can I expect under warrantee for this stuff? I believe that a sticky caliper causing heat and warping of the rotor is a defect. What do any others believe?

Thanks for any input!

Curt

1) Pad warning light wire is probably broken by the first wire tie, warranty.

2) Change to a good synthetic oil, cured mine.

3&4) Dealer should warranty these.

Good luck and let use know how it works out.

I'm about ready to take my '08 in for its 6K service soon. I'm a little less than perfectly happy with the bike because of a few issues:

1) brake pad sensor warning light on 90 percent of the time (except when I ride by my dealer's shop)

2) shuddering in the clutch when launching in 1st gear (I guesss they all do this so I won't worry about it)

3) terrible squeel in front brakes whenever coming to a stop (drivers of Hyundais and Kias look at me funny whenever I pull up next to them at a light and they seee the BMW roundel)

4) Pulsing from the front rotors when brake is applied

My frustration lies with the latter two items. I have discussed this problem with the service manager of my dealership since the bike was delivered new, a year ago. I'm pretty sure the pads are glazed and now that the pulsing is pronounced, I'm convinced that there are problems with the brakes, probably a caliper sticking or something similar. The service manager just kind of sloughs it off. This is a $20,000 motorcycle and shouldn't sound like some cheap bike. I've had 10 or 12 BMWs and never had any brake problems.

My question is: what can I expect under warrantee for this stuff? I believe that a sticky caliper causing heat and warping of the rotor is a defect. What do any others believe?

Thanks for any input!

Curt

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Before you condem the rotors, I would try scrubbing them inside and outside with a scotch-brite pad and some solvent, like Brake Solvent, or Carburetor Cleaner. You can even scrub them with a steel-wool pad. Clean all the old transfered brake pad residue from your disks and it should clear-up your shuddering problem--it worked with my RT.

As far as brake-pad screeching, you can go to any auto parts store and get some Anti-screech goop you apply to the back of the pads and that will cure your problem. You have to remove the pads (or your dealer does. Spread the goop over the back of each pad and re-install.

Thank you, Fergie, for your response. I happen to agree with you, point-by-point. My service writer shoots flames from his ears at the very sound of "synthetic oil." I have heard that others have had success in reducing the clutch judder by switching over and as a believer in synthetics myself, I think that's what I'm going to do.

Curt

Before you condem the rotors, I would try scrubbing them inside and outside with a scotch-brite pad and some solvent, like Brake Solvent, or Carburetor Cleaner. You can even scrub them with a steel-wool pad. Clean all the old transfered brake pad residue from your disks and it should clear-up your shuddering problem--it worked with my RT.

As far as brake-pad screeching, you can go to any auto parts store and get some Anti-screech goop you apply to the back of the pads and that will cure your problem. You have to remove the pads (or your dealer does. Spread the goop over the back of each pad and re-install.

Wow, this is a new bike! This isn't anythig I've ever done on any other new vehicle I've ever owned, and it's done it sice delivery. You may be correct in the solution, however, what a pain in the a$$ to need to do this with a new motorcycle.

Archived