IGNORED

Auxillary Fuel Tank

Boxerdad

Hmmm...Personally I don't need any more range. I can easily go 300 miles before my low fuel light comes on as it stands now. The 1150RT will go far longer than my bladder. :) I suppose you want to be able to ride 500 miles non-stop? :S

By passenger seat frame do you mean the seat pan its self? If so I'm curious as to whether you have found somewhere those could bought as a stand alone part? I'm thinking of a similar mod for a luggage set up....

Mine is similar to EB's (Hi EB!!!!)but is built onto a bracket that bolts to the four bolts that sit UNDER the passenger seat. I wouldn't trust the passenger pan.

FWIW, a good friend of mine just finished the IBR with a tourtech (?) aluminum fuel cell mounted to the rear luggage rack. Weight is well within what can be safely mounted back there and still gives you the pillion spot for a roll bag or the like.

HTH...

Hmmm...Personally I don't need any more range. I can easily go 300 miles before my low fuel light comes on as it stands now. The 1150RT will go far longer than my bladder. :) I suppose you want to be able to ride 500 miles non-stop? :S

Would love to have a 500 mile fuel range.... and just cus I had it doesn't mean I can't stop for uh, whatever... restroom, walkabout, ect.

Only 350. IBA says I have to stop at 350. :grin:

By passenger seat frame do you mean the seat pan its self? If so I'm curious as to whether you have found somewhere those could bought as a stand alone part? I'm thinking of a similar mod for a luggage set up....

I'm considering tearing the upholstery off of a passenger seat and using the pan as a base for a platform. That way my aux tank will snap onto the bike and come off with the twist of a key.

Figuring a way to carry and deliver several extra gallons of fuel sounds like an adventure in itself. I would rather hide a gas can or two with stabilizer inside on a frequented route then tug around 3-5 extra gallons of fuel.

Again, I'd shy away from the pan idea. It's been done, especially on the RS, but I doubt it'd pass the "wiggle" test from the IBA. Then again...there's no need to worry about that for these purposes.

I never felt that the passenger seat on my bike was held down well enough to support a fuel cell. It's really only attached at the front tab and the latch in the rear, and in curves the aux tank will want to rotate around that axis and there's nothing much to prevent it (as compared to a passenger who has legs wrapped around the sides of the bike).

I doubt it'd pass the "wiggle" test from the IBA.

I never felt that the passenger seat on my bike was held down well enough to support a fuel cell.

Mine is attached to an extra rear saddle on my RT. I prefer it there vs on the luggage rack. I can use the rear trunk, and more important; the extra fuel weight is not hung over the rear wheel. It passed IBR wiggle test, although I carry a ratchet strap just in case I need to reinforce the attachment for a nit-picky inspector.

Archived