IGNORED

How do I disconnect the shifter ajuster?

patof

Actually, I *need* to ajust the lever, the top of the shifter bangs on the chassis when I shift up...

I presume this would help my shift to 2nd, because I am having some difficulty upshifting to 2nd.

I did take the foot rest back plate off to find out the shifter is bolted to it. I loosened up the nut, but how to twist the bolt?

From a similar post, a "C" clamp is mentionned...

I checked for "C" clap but can not locate it?

Could you point this to me? (need an "RT shop manual for dummys" )

BTW what is the black residue on the top of the shifter? (the bike has been running fine for 20kmiles)

Thank you... images enclosed

From post '04 RT shift lever adjust? (what is #2?)

612gear_shift-med.jpg

DSCN2030-3050.JPG

The "c clamp" is that little thin chrome wire thingy that is staring at me in your photo. It is between the round "ball" area and the round "cylinder" part of the linkage. I used a dental pick to pull it away.

If you want to adjust the clevis , you'll have to take one end loose. I think.(never been there on my bike) Take it loose from shifter and adjust...

Make sure the #1 bolt in picture ,is tight and aligned properly. (been there)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all!

Actually, just to follow up:

Yes I did locate the little pin! quite easy to get out but what a pain to put it back in!

if you keep the shift lever in place...

So, this was before I set the shift lever free from the metal case (foot rest panel).

Once the shift lever is free, the pin goes in without any trouble, actually, quite easily.

I beleive I could not set the ball thing all the way in the receiving part...

Before the fix, I had problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd (occasionnally grinding noise) and sometimes

the bike fell from 2nd to neutral by itself.

Not to mention the bike felt buzzy at speed; the buzzy thing disappeared...

Could it really be the gears were not all the way in? I believe so...

Now the shifting goes with a nice/clean clunk and the ride is nice again... clap.gif

Archived