IGNORED

Semper Ride!!! "You're an idiot if you don't wear all your gear!"

Firefight911

Here's a new video (this is the extended trailer)geared to our service men and women to try and curb the unfortunate but very real statistics with regard to motorcycling after returning from their deployments, etc.

Semper Ride!!

Here's the information listed alongside the video -

A fast paced, action packed film containing an overall responsible riding theme, instructional material, and mentoring from some of the motorcycle industrys most talented riders.

In 2008, 25 Marines were killed in motorcycle accidents. The majority of these Marines were younger and had little experience on the bikes they were riding.

The film was developed to supplement and enhance the Marine Corps motorcycle training program with a thrilling instructional film intended to create excitement and simultaneously give each viewer an appreciation of the risks involved in motorcycling. It will also provide each viewer with the steps and techniques involved in becoming a more skilled and safer rider.

Semper Ride explores and educates riders on a wide variety of motorcycle riding disciplines, from motocross to sport bikes, street bikes, and dual-sport machines. Different riding styles and terrains are reviewed in-depth with an emphasis on those who pursue riding motorcycles for sport and thrills; the high risk population. First-class instructors, riders, and consultants from the professional motorcycle industry explain what each bike is intended to do, and how to improve riding skills. The tone of the film is a peer-to-peer, rider-to-rider style of instruction in an effort to break away from the traditionally dry instructional style often associated with training videos. The latest hi-definition technology was used in the production of the film to capture the riders in some of the sports most scenic and challenging settings. This film also includes the use of gyro-stabilized cameras similar to those used on award-winning shows such as Discovery Channels Planet Earth. To get a riders eye view, the production team incorporated the latest point-of-view cameras in several shots to put the viewer right in the riders seat.

For some perspective, I was the base motorcycle MSF instructor for El Toro and Tustin Marine Corps bases in the late 80s/early 90s. I have first hand knowledge and experience concerning this topic. This is so needed and I am glad to see something of this nature come out.

The Marines have worked extensively with Keith Code and have a program where the CSS brings training to the Marine Corps Bases. They use the airfields and conduct some very realistic training at road speed. All of the data is collected and it is impressive to see the progress of the riders from start to finish. Direct reflection of the quality instruction provided by the CSS in my opinion.

We are finally getting some interest from the Army in this type of program; the Garrison in Hawaii just had Dylan Code out last month to teach a class on the airfield at Wheeler.

MSF training is great, but IMHO you just can’t develop the skills to ride a sport bike at speed in a parking lot at 25 MPH. I’m investigating an accident right now where a rider on a GSXR 1000 ran wide in a curve and a SUV head on.

For some perspective, I was the base motorcycle MSF instructor for El Toro and Tustin Marine Corps bases in the late 80s/early 90s.

Neat. I was at El Toro in '85 before checking out.

The Marines have worked extensively with Keith Code and have a program where the CSS brings training to the Marine Corps Bases. They use the airfields and conduct some very realistic training at road speed. All of the data is collected and it is impressive to see the progress of the riders from start to finish. Direct reflection of the quality instruction provided by the CSS in my opinion.

I have an acquaintance who told me he recently returned from Camp Pendleton where he went to be certified as a Lee Parks ARC instructor. Apparently the ARC will be offered (or is being offered) at Camp Pen.

---John.

I attended a Lee Parks "Total Control" Level 1 last Saturday. Very educational and some good tips I did not pick up in the book.

Some times when I read these books, I miss the important stuff.

Motorcycling is a very mental activity and you better have your head on straight.

Can't wait to take Level 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very good video!

I can't remember how I ended up on MX racing in the early 70s, had a trailer and went to all the local area tracks, someone was racing every weekend, But I am so glad I did, set the basics for all of my future MC riding.

I had a ball at Torrey on the little dirt bike (wr250r), but would have been lost if not for my early MX years of competitive riding on the dirt.

Tried to start Jean on a little dirt bike, but was very challenged to make one low enough for her, plus she hates the dirt, ha.

Cool video. Reminded me of my younger days in the local sand pits and dirt trails. Very cool and nice to hear the logic of pro's and street riding. Well done.

CoarsegoldKid

Phil, and all, I think it's good that there was emphasis on wearing proper gear on this video. This was a trailer so I suspect the full length video would go into more detail as to what constitutes proper gear. Safe motorcycling ain't cheap by any means. Newbees should take notice of this very important aspect. However, I couldn't help but notice the a theme that to be a good road rider one must first cut their teeth on dirt. I disagree with this premise. I've never thrown a leg over a dirt bike in my life and I consider myself and several other riders of similar motorcycle riding experience very knowledgeable and capable road riders. I've heard the mantra before about road racers do better when coming from dirt. To this I say more specifically flat track dirt may teach you how to slide the bike at 90 mph, but if you're sliding a road bike you are going very fast and there ain't no trophy check at the end of the ride so you better know what your doing out there.

If a fresh motorcyclist enjoys riding and wants to be riding 50 years from their first ride they better check their egos at the garage work bench, never ride while intoxicated, grow eyes in the back of their heads, ride like every other person on the road is out to get them, wear the proper gear, know when their equipment is past its prime, keep the machine in top condition, see where you want the motorcycle to go before you commit, practice, practice, practice skills each ride of their bike, ride your own ride, don't worry about what others can do and concentrate on staying alive. That's a lot to expect of strong, seemingly invincible, courageous, young men and women.

If any road riding motorcyclist wants to ride fast, start out slow, speed comes with patience and practice and learn from those who have come before you whether it's from a school or someone to be trusted. And a track just may be your best friend. You can't do it alone.

Semper Ride

Archived