IGNORED

Triumph 1050 Sprint ST

OH Bob

Has anyone had any experience with this bike? I searched all kinds of variables to this question, but to no avail. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanx much, Bob

I rode ShovelStrokeEd's Sprint ST for a while today (thanks, Ed!), and I really, really liked it. I could listen to the engine (with stock pipes) all day long, it sounds so good. And it gets up and goes. With the suspension he's got on it, cornering was telepathic. My RT felt like a tractor afterwards. I was looking for a whip (not a Whip!) to try to make it go when I twisted the throttle.

ShovelStrokeEd
Has anyone had any experience with this bike? I searched all kinds of variables to this question, but to no avail. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanx much, Bob

Bob,

I'm at 22,000 miles and building on my leftover '08, purchased in March of this year.

I don't know what information you are looking for but can offer some comments.

The bike offers the very significant benefit of lightness. Dry weight is around 462 lbs. Lightness does a number of good things like letting me get >14K miles out of a set of tires and 22K miles on the factory chain. It also helps with fuel economy although that is probably more a function of the aerodynamics than anything.

I have averaged >46 mpg over the life of the bike so far with most of my riding being 70-80 mph cruising.

The bike has a great motor with good torque everywhere. Ultimate HP is not all that high at 125 HP crank, about 114 RWHP. Let me tell you though, those are some Clydesdale type ponies. Numbers alone don't describe the way the engine makes power.

Maintenance has been minimal. Similar to a BMW here, minor service every 6K miles, major service every other.

I have experienced zero problems with the bike to date. Start it up, ride 500 miles adding gas as needed, stop for the night. Rinse and repeat, taking 5 minutes to lube the chain at the end of the day. The bike uses less than 5 ounces of oil between changes at 6K mile intervals, I don't even bother checking.

The factory panniers (included in the price) are adequate for week long trips solo, but just barely so. I changed to a Givi setup but I have to carry lots of stuff.

The aerodynamics and ergonomics of this bike are wonderful. You get a bunch of air on the upper body but that helps with maintaining riding position at speed.

The factory seat sucks, plain and simple. It is OK for 200 miles or so but the foam packs down and you are sitting on the seat pan. "No, no, no", said my buttocks. A sheepskin helped but I wound up going with the factory gel seat ($237) and worth every penny. Combine that with the sheepskin and I'm good for 10-12 hour days in the saddle.

Riding position is pretty sporty and, if you are looking to sit straight up, this is not the bike for you. In its natural forward lean position though, the thing is very comfy. I have actually lowered the bars on mine and moved them back a bit and zero issues with back or arm/wrist fatigue. I'm 67 years old and have both a bad back and bad knees. No issues in all day rides.

If I were to ask Triumph to change anything on the bike, I would ask for a bit more fuel capacity and better front suspension. The front forks are a bit soft and lack good damping. Nothing that can't be fixed with some new springs and fork oil. I went a bit further and put an Ohlins rear shock and had Lindemann Engineering rework the front fork internals. Mucho improvement.

Triumph? Who would ever think such a thought? Well, ShovelStrokeEd and I both did...

Glamor shot... yes that's the RT in her spot too. She's a 2000 955i RS. RS's have the half fairing.

3931763540_1277f7a9fc.jpg

and here she is dressed for a trip... it IS a trip!

3931763764_12069793ba.jpg

i hAD an new '06 with 20,000. miles on her when I sold it May '09. One of the top bikes I've owned. Flat out one of the best mills, snicky tranny, power delivery. If it would of hauled a little more baggage/stuff...I'd still own her.

Triple mo is to die for...loads of torque and 123 hp gets it right...fast.!

0 problems in 20,000 miles also.

Lube chain, fresh oil.....R I D E.!

ShovelStrokeEd wrote: "The bike offers the very significant benefit of lightness. Dry weight is around 462 lbs. Lightness does a number of good things like letting me get >14K miles out of a set of tires and 22K miles on the factory chain. It also helps with fuel economy although that is probably more a function of the aerodynamics than anything."

I couldn't let this go - the weight figures, I'm talking about. I know Triumph claims 462 lbs dry weight for the Sprint ST. But, a check of the Motorcycle Consumer News annual "performance index" shows the 2005 Sprint ST without ABS as weighing at 548 lbs wet. By comparison, they show the R12ooR at 511 and the R1200ST at 523 lbs. There just ain't 76 lbs of oil, gas and air in that bike. Triumph lies.

I owned an '02 Sprint ST and really enjoyed it. I now have an R1200ST which I don't believe is more than a tick slower than my old Sprint and which I can ride faster through the twisties than I could my old Sprint. I'm pretty convinced that there are many riders who could ride the Triumph more quickly than they could the BMW, but for me, the fit of the Bimmer is just spot on. I feel more comfortable from a control standpoint than I have ever felt on any motorcycle.

When I was shopping for a bike this loast time I took an '07 Sprint ST/ABS home for an overnight test ride (Thanks Deena from Florida Motorsports in Tallahassee) and , while I did enjoy it, I just couldn't see enough difference between the 1050 and my old 955i to justify the expenditure. I LOVED the sound and feel of the Triumph Triple, though and once owned a new 1973 Trident which I ported and polished with a Dremel tool and it still ran! Better, I thought, but my running mates on their Z1s seem to have foggy memories when tell those old stories.

The Sprint is a very fine motorcycle. It ain't a lightweight.

ShovelStrokeEd

Triumph lies?

Let's see.

210 kg base weight according to their lying figure.

21 liters of gas gets us to 230 kg

4 liters of oil 234 kg

3 liters of coolant 237 kg

Battery 241 kg

panniers and mounts 251 kg

Those add up to 553 lbs. So, I guess Triumph isn't lying.

If you are gonna compare an R1200R, compare it to a speed triple as neither bike has a fairing. 188 kg, dry and 132 HP to boot.

If you want a Triumph with a more upright riding position, the Tiger is worth considering. Same engine as the Sprint set up differently (the way the Hexhead is set up for the GS instead of the RT). The Triumph triple engines are some of the best powerplants available in motorcyces today. My dealer, who handles both BMW and Triumph (and Ducati) says they are bulletproof. He sees many more problems and warranty issues with BMW's; nearly none with Triumph. The triple on my Triumph Street Triple is just as smooth as the four cylinder on my GT.

Love'n mine!New 08,done a couple of 500+ days and just had the seat done by Kontour with his new "Polar" material and I'm shocked how much difference this has made....REALLY has cooled down the behind!Like everyone else has said, this motor ROCKS! Bike IS and feels light! Very easy to service(Don't need to remove anything except the drain plug and filter for oil change)Chain adjust is very simple also.

I'm approaching 32K on my 06' Sprint ST w/ ABS after 15 years of riding K100/1200RS's. It is an excellent bike. I don't care what the manufacturers say, the Sprint feels MUCH lighter than any K bike I ever had.

Only issues were warped front rotor and a horrible service section at a local dealer.

I too changed my front fork springs, Penske rear shock and Corbin seat. The bike is set up perfectly for me and 500 mile days are no problem. I am one very happy owner. Definitely take a test ride.

Archived