IGNORED

Forgetting to down shift............

motorman587

I have noticed that in a day, two three times, I find myself forgetting to downshift, ie red light, traffic enforcement. Then when it is time to go, I am in 4th or 3rd. :S

I know, I know better and have to make a mental effort to downshift.

I want to be lam blasted by you guys/gals for making this mental mistake, so I will quit doing this.

Thank you for your support......... :thumbsup:

Sheesh, rookie!!!!

Basting over with.

We've all done it!! Just a thought, if you're forgetting to downshift, you are also possibly forgetting to check your 6 which can be much more injurious than this board giving you grief.

Doesn't happen much to me as I use (right or wrong) a lot of engine braking, so I end up in the low gear. May be old habits when engine braking from a big thumper was better than braking with shoe polish can brake drums.

The condition is called MTBF. (Multi-Task Brain Fart).

Motors have so much going on when they ride, listing to communications, transmitting, operating radar/lidar, watching for violations, LBWR (Look Bitchin' While Riding), road surface appraisal, watching everyone around you, watching for the lieutenant, expecting the unexpected etc. An occasional forgetfulness to downshift is to be expected.

It happens to me too but my HD wet clutch takes the slipping abuse and makes me look like a pro even as I pull off in second or third.

Doesn't happen much to me as I use (right or wrong) a lot of engine braking, so I end up in the low gear. May be old habits when engine braking from a big thumper was better than braking with shoe polish can brake drums.

I tend to engine brake as well, but never down to 1st gear... only to 2nd...

Regards -

-Bob

I have noticed that in a day, two three times, I find myself forgetting to downshift, ie red light, traffic enforcement. Then when it is time to go, I am in 4th or 3rd. :S

I know, I know better and have to make a mental effort to downshift.

I want to be lam blasted by you guys/gals for making this mental mistake, so I will quit doing this.

Thank you for your support......... :thumbsup:

If that is all you are forgetting, not a problem.

My problem is I'm always reaching for the cruise control and then remember I'm not in the car.

I can help you break that habit..I live on a gravel road that takes me to a paved road. Coming from my residence the gravel road intersects the paved road immediately after the paved road goes over a steep hill to the left. The gravel road intersects the paved road at the foot of that hill and where they meet creates about a 50 degree angle to make the left hand turn coming off of my gravel road..While stopped at that intersection one can see a vehicle cresting that hill for about two seconds depending on how badly the vehicle is speeding. Stalling out on that lefthand turn just one time will absolutely break you of that habit..Let me know if you need directions.. :thumbsup:

Remind me NEVER to come visit you!!! I will meet you in town! I have the sweetist gravel driveway it is flat and gently winds back and forth and is so packed down it is like concrete! :Cool:

I haven't been riding long but I have not been in the correct gear a couple of times when I have come to a stop. It scares me so bad I don't do it again for a long while! :thumbsup:

I learned on a sportbike and did a lot of track days my first couple years of riding, so it became habit to downshift as I slow down. Plus with a 600cc sportbike, it was part of the fun of having a high reving machine. I gently blip the throttle to match the revs while I brake (if needed).

I think we all do this once in a while I do engine brake most of the time so for the most part I'm good but If someone jumps out in front of me and I have to come to a fast stop the next pull away I'm invariably in the wrong gear. Or when there is a crowd of people watching as I'm stopped at a light on a 90 degree hill and the guy in a cement truck stopped behind me an 1/8 of inch off my back brake light and the person in front of me has their backup lights on because they thought they went too far into the intersection so they backed up and now have forgotten to put their car back in drive and no amount of horn blowing or hand waving is getting their attention because they have the radio so loud that my teeth are vibrating more than an unbalanced boxer twin. You know times like that. :)

Motorman

I have had that trouble too and it was all law enforcements fault. I got pulled over, only for an inoperative light, endorsement, insurance check. No ticket, no complaints, actually glad to know my rear turn was inoperative. Anyway, seeing the red lights when I was behaving did make me anxious. Strangely enough, I would have been calmer if I had known why I was pulled over. As I came to a stop I forgot to down shift. Left it in 5th. Of course, I KILLED IT. I had to look pretty silly, restarting, down shifting, and you know what it takes to shift from 5th to first when not rolling. Lucky they did not pull me over again and give a ticket for too stupid to ride a motorcycle.

Highly embarrassing. On the good side I did not drop it.

Rod

Start checking your gear indicator....I have had one so long now (on my last 3 bikes) that I find it very hard to remember what gear I am in when I ride one without one.....

You guys call that lam basting??

Hah, I'll tell ya the way it is. You lazy no good incompetent poser of a motorcycle operator.

Did ya forget to check your weapon?

Did ya forget your badge?

Did ya forget your citation book?

No?

Forget to have coffee?

See what I'm getting at? You forget what you think isn't important, so do you want to look like a dork at every stop light? I guess so.

Either shape up or go on foot patrol!

Gee that felt good. Anybody else need some?

Sweeet, Just read the post from the eagle. Eagle staring at me, I had to give him 20 push ups. I repeated after each push up, I will down shift before I stop.

Happy to say that I have not do it after posting this post.

Start checking your gear indicator....I have had one so long now (on my last 3 bikes) that I find it very hard to remember what gear I am in when I ride one without one.....

I agree. I swapped bike with a budddy a few months ago, and I kept losing track of what gear I was in. On my 2 bieks before them I added a "Digi" gear indicator. O na 600cc bike, the gears are so closely spaced, you easily lost track of what gear you were in. Not a big deal, unilt you accidentally you went for 1st gear entering a corner and got a TON more engine braking that you were expecting as you let the clutch out.

John, get your shift together!! :grin: (obligatory lambasting). Don't worry, once you're on the HD it won't matter what gear you start in. They'll chug away in any of them. :thumbsup:

Archived