IGNORED

Chicago BMW Motorcycles parts department: An update to their policy...

Tasker

This isn't a thread to offer the virtues or non-virtues of the parts department of Chicago BMW Motorcycles. It is only an FYI about how their process on special orders has changed, per their parts manager. Personally, I've always been pleased with their service, but...

Their old policy was that they would not charge your credit card until the part had been received from their warehouse and shipped to you. This was a good indicator that your part was on the way but now, due to the owner's change in procedure due to "tough economic conditions," they charge your credit card as soon as the part has been ordered, regardless of delivery time.

I ordered BMW parts on September 9th and my credit card was charged on the 11th. As of today (the 17th) I still have not received my parts so I called them. I was told that they had not received my parts and thought they "might" get them tomorrow (the 18th). This is when I asked why my credit card had been charged.

I ordered the parts on the 9th, thinking that I would have them in plenty of time for a trip departure on/around the 28th. It's not looking good and they already have my money.

As I said, just an FYI. If you check your account and see that you have been charged for your order, that no longer means that your order is on the way. Or, it could be... :P

I had this happen to me with Chicago BMW, and I was a little bit peeved. I think they could have advised me of this policy and the stock status when I ordered, via email. In any case, my goods arrived in about 3 weeks.

I will remember to ask them myself if the item is in stock next time, and there will probably be a next time. Overall, I think they try to do a good job. And they do have excellent prices.

FWIW Hammersley also charges at time of order, but not so much of a problem with them because they usually ship very fast (never had to wait much more than a week.) OTOH I'd have a big concern with Chicago BMW doing this if they don't improve their lackadaisical attitude. I've also received the 'try to get it out' line, not a good thing to say to a customer who already waited a month (and they already had the parts on hand for over a week per their own admission.) A week later the parts still weren't shipped! At that point I got fed up and told them they could keep the order. I guess it's irresponsible customers like me that forced them to change their policy.

BTW, on my last two orders with Hammersley I paid for ground shipping but my order was received via FedEx next day air, not quite a week later. Hammersley provides a 15% discount and Chicago 20%. Best 5% I ever spent.

Ken, that is pretty well how Chicago BMW operates.. They have good prices but their shipping is slow & they won’t contact you to tell you if your order is delayed..

They don’t stock much & what they do stock doesn’t seem to go out as internet sales..

You order from them,, they order from BMW,, when the ENTIRE order is in their possession they set it on the floor & usually forget about it until you call & remind them you ordered something.. After the call it mysteriously appears at your door a few days later..

Always follow up with a reminder call after a reasonable time for them to receive your parts in..

Chicago BMW isn’t easy to work with but they are cheap & seldom ship the incorrect stuff.. You just have to work for your discount..

Twisty

Hammersley provides a 15% discount

Good to know!

As I stated, I didn't create this thread to begin a bitch-session about Chicago BMW but their service is very slow unless you get lucky and they have what you need in stock. But the next time I need something in front of an upcoming trip, I'll think twice before calling them.

I won't dump on Chicago BMW, but I will note that my first order from MAX BMW arrived promptly with a complimentary bag of M&Ms inside. Dunno how they knew about my chocoholism, but ... ;)

I must have gotten lucky and ordered items on hand but my two orders from Chicago BMW were shipped and received in a timely manner.

YMMV

Ewell

As were my last 40 orders. :thumbsup:

I must have gotten lucky and ordered items on hand but my two orders from Chicago BMW were shipped and received in a timely manner.

YMMV

Ewell

Bullshit. You only order new bikes and everyone knows that. ;)

YMMV

Ewell

Bullshit. You only order new bikes and everyone knows that. ;)

:rofl:

Seriously.... You know they have to be giving him the super duper discount based on all the business he has sent them, my R1200RT included. :)

Shawn

I'll take the fifth on what Shawn said...but honest, I have never had a delay on shipping and I get lots of stuff from them for me and friends in atlanta. Hard to believe that they receive and ship my stuff faster because I buy my bikes up there. :grin:

I'll take the fifth on what Shawn said...but honest, I have never had a delay on shipping and I get lots of stuff from them for me and friends in atlanta. Hard to believe that they receive and ship my stuff faster because I buy my bikes up there. :grin:

Nope, I guess the problem is with the rest of us. They've got their act together.

I could have told you guys this months ago. I placed my pretty substantial parts order for my Airhead cafe project in January, and had the card charged straight away. Parts didn't get in for 5 months! I'm in no rush, but would be pretty well pissed if I was.

-MKL

Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. Guess I'll stay away from the pile on next time.

No feelings hurt here. It's just a fact: If they have your needed parts in stock, you will get them pretty quick, as I've experienced in the past. If they have to order them then it's anybody's guess as to when you will get them.

Another simple fact: I ordered one single part on the 9th of this month and it is the 20th and I still don't have it.

Trust me, Marty, there isn't anything you can do or say that will ever hurt my feelings. This is just a motorcycle discussion board where people exchange ideas and opinions and if anyone gets their feelings hurt here then they are too thin-skinned for this world.

If its the same BMW Motorcycles of Chicago that I visited a few months ago, its owned now by the Harley dealer nextdoor. Depending on the day, if you call in to the BMW dealer, its answered at the HD shop (at least the day I was in both).

FWIW

If its the same BMW Motorcycles of Chicago that I visited a few months ago, its owned now by the Harley dealer nextdoor. Depending on the day, if you call in to the BMW dealer, its answered at the HD shop (at least the day I was in both).

FWIW

That's where the switchboard is. Do you find that to be a real problem? The BMW store has been owned by the guy who owns the HD store for quite a few years. Somehow they still manage to sell BMW's tho.

It's just a fact: If they have your needed parts in stock, you will get them pretty quick, as I've experienced in the past. If they have to order them then it's anybody's guess as to when you will get them.

Sounds pretty much like my local dealer. A 20% discount and short walk to the mailbox tilts the scales for me.

Archived