IGNORED

Reflections off rider display

KevinRT

I notice it is often difficult to read the display area on my new 1200RT, especially when the sun is ahead of me. When the sun is in that position, I see a great reflection of myself which obscures the display area. I can see the speedo and tach fine. I was thinking of placing some sort of self-adhesive film to cut the reflections down, but don't know where to start to look. I don't want to wear polarized sunglasses as that causes a weird rainbow like effect on my visor. Anyone done anything in this regard that can make a recommendation?

Kevin, I think all of us 1200RT owners have that same problem.. I know I can’t see much on my 1200RT unless at night.. Can’t ever read the clock with sunglasses on & can’t usually see the computer screen..

This is about my biggest bitch on the 1200RT.. That is the poorest dash contrast I have ever seen on any vehicle.. Not only is the contrast bad but the mounted angle is such that it reflects everything..

Some have fitted the K1200GT gauge surround on the RT.. It will fit with some work but not exactly a bolt on (more like a glue on).. I would do that but personally I don’t like the looks of the KGT gauge surround on the RT..

Twisty

Can’t ever read the clock with sunglasses on & can’t usually see the computer screen..

Twisty

Is that with polariod lenses? I can see the comp screen fine with non-polarised glasses, but the contrast fades quite a lot with polarised.

I had the same issue. Probably everyone with an RT has it. I put on the K1200GT bezel.

There's no gluing. The RT dash frame is the same as the GT. The external plastic dash is a little different. You have to drill a couple holes in the dash tupperware to mount it. The bezel screws to existing holes in the dash frame (same ones used by an BMR Shelf).

Having the bezel has made the glare tolerable, but it doesn't get rid of it. The glare is caused by reflection off your clothes and the handle bars. Darkening that stuff up helps reduce glare.

470784181_vKaeN-XL.jpg

A lot of bikes have the same problem. My 07 Moto Guzzi Norge was terrible and I have a friend with a Kawasaki C14 and after an hour of so in the sun his display is not readable. Nothing is perfect and coming from my Norge I think the RT display is great.

• 2 months later...

I took some clear self-adhesive vinyl film and cut a piece to fit over the computer display. I roughed it up just a little bit to make it anti-glare and it works fairly well. The first piece, I roughed it up too much and I could not read the display at all in daylight! I used the film because I had it on hand. If I were buying, I would get anti-glare to start with as Wade mentioned.

BMR shelf. The best sunshade money can buy, and you have places to put a bunch of farkles you did not know you needed until you had a place to put them.

I think this is pretty much a problem on most motorcycles. I could not read the display on my 07 Norge and I rode my friends 09 Kawasaki C14 and it was the same. The new 2010 RT is supposed to have a new dash layout.

Havent had a problem with glare up to now on the instuments and found all the comments usefull.The new dash layout seems to be taken directly from the K1300GT

I have reflections from the convex glass on the speedo and tach.

On my old bikes it was just a little annoynig every now and then but it had flat glass. The R1200GS is almost blinding if the sun is behind me.

I thought a shelf may help but the ones I see online don't look that big.

I looked online and found film at the Apple store.

"anti-glare film set for iphone. 3G/3GS." $14.956

I looked at 2 computer screens at the store, one with the film and one without and it looks like it will work for reducing the reflective glare.

It maybe hard to cut for the convex glass.

I will test it soon.

Archived