IGNORED

Anyone using a Power Commander on a 12RT

Paul Szilard - Australia

Paul Szilard - Australia

I would like to hear from anyone that has actual experience of fitting and using a Power Commander on a 12RT (or any R1200).

I've had Power Commander on my Japanese bike and the biggest benefit had been low rev flexibility.

My questions are;

1) Is the R1200 CANBUS motor suitable for Power Commander?

2) Is the result noticeable?

3) Is fitting a PC a big job? (I've been told it takes 6 hrs!)

Thnx

Sorry, no personal experience with a 1200 here (although I do have a Power Commander installed on my 1100), but I will offer the following comment... installing a Power Commander on a hexhead would involved disabling the O2 sensors and going open-loop only. I'm not really sure that there would be any benefit to this (absent significant engine modifications) as the hexheads are set up pretty well in stock condition. While the oilheads (1100/1150) can show slight improvements by fattening up the fueling I doubt you'd see any significant increase in ether power or driveability on a stock hexhead.

Is there a specific problem you're trying to address?

A wide band Power Commander does preserve the closed 02 sensor feedback loop, using a replacement oxygen sensor that has a greater resolution than most stock sensors. And with either PC, it's still possible to map for an economy cruise. I don't know if the wide band PC is available for BMW's though.

I don't know if the wide band PC is available for BMW's though.

The wideband model (with O2 sensor and full closed-loop fueling control) is available for the 1100/1150 but not the 1200.

Paul Szilard - Australia
Sorry, no personal experience with a 1200 here (although I do have a Power Commander installed on my 1100), but I will offer the following comment... installing a Power Commander on a hexhead would involved disabling the O2 sensors and going open-loop only. I'm not really sure that there would be any benefit to this (absent significant engine modifications) as the hexheads are set up pretty well in stock condition. While the oilheads (1100/1150) can show slight improvements by fattening up the fueling I doubt you'd see any significant increase in ether power or driveability on a stock hexhead.

I would like a bit more pull at low revs. I don't like revving the stuffing out of my bikes, but I love tracktability. e.g what the K1300GT delivers, or the Hyabusa/B-King, or GSX1400. But no, I am NOT going back to Japanese bikes :). This is my 4th BMwobbleU and I love it to bits. Just would like a bit more low end grunt.

But, I am getting used to adjusting my expectations...

I would like a bit more pull at low revs. I don't like revving the stuffing out of my bikes, but I love tracktability. e.g what the K1300GT delivers, or the Hyabusa/B-King, or GSX1400. But no, I am NOT going back to Japanese bikes :). This is my 4th BMwobbleU and I love it to bits. Just would like a bit more low end grunt.

But, I am getting used to adjusting my expectations...

Most aftermarket exhaust won't give you much imrpovement in the bottom end. In most cases, they create flat spots or reduce pwoer off the bottom. It may feel faster because it's a little louder, but a dymno will often say otherwise. To improve the bottom end, you're best bet to to use shorter final drive gearing.

Archived