IGNORED

Quiet exhaust alternatives for 12RT?

Paul Szilard - Australia

Paul Szilard - Australia

I was just wondering if it is possible to improve on the stock R1200RT exhaust, without increasing the noise much?

I've had noisy exhausts before and know both the thrill and the extra power, but now I am suffering from ringing in my ear, and I welcome the RT's quiet behaviour. I am still missing however a bit more power, so I was wondering if there were any recommendations that allow better breathing for the engine but without much additional noise? Or are these mutually exclusive?

Thnx...

Paul, seeing as even the best of free flowing exhaust systems don’t do much for additional power in the 1200RT until very high RPMs I doubt you will find much exhaust wise that makes more power & retains low noise output..

Unless you regularly ride & operate at 6500 RPM’s up I doubt any exhaust system will give you more noticeable power..

If you want a more peppier acceleration & better mid range acceleration maybe just look into a GS 3.0:1 final drive or the R bike 2.82:1 final drive gearing..

Twisty

+1

I´ve read so many tests. Not a single aftermarket exhaust (not to mention silent) will give noticeable power addition.

You can throw away original headers and catalysator with the muffler and install LARGE OPEN PIPING but there goes silence and street legality.

Even cam changing wont give you proper power increase on lower rpm-range - and I believe that is what you´re after?

Supercharger! Thats the key word for You...

Paul In Australia

Paul

Why would anyone want more power than the 1200RT ? Mine is a rocket ship and so smooth. Sure it is no 998 or FJR, but if that is what you want, go buy one.

The r1200 rt is a very well balanced tourer with Extremely good twisty performance. Take the bags and all the crap off it and give it some. It flys.

And old saying

"If you want to travel like a Posche, buy a Porsche, don't try and get a MGB to make believe.

If your not sure of the performance, try out running a cop on a !200Rt when you want to. Won't get far.

It is a street bike not a track racer.

Love it for what it is a fast comfortable long distance joy.

best regards

Look at the huge volume in the stock exhaust. That allows it to store the exhaust pulses and feed them out continuously, with very low back pressure. It is very difficult for an aftermarket exhaust with less volume to be quiet and not restrictive. When you put the Db Killer type inserts in you add restriction, most horsepower gains go away.

If you want a bit more sound, or loose a bit of weight, a good TIG welder can open the stock can, and remove the catalyst or if you care about the environment they can remove a bit of the baffles. That will increase the tone a small bit, which in my opinion is all it needs.

Rod

Have you thought that maybe the ringing in your ears isn't being caused by the exhaust. It could be a combination of wind noise, other vehicles engines, etc. Have you tried to use ear plugs to assist with that problem? You wouldn't hear the noise as much. I use earplugs quite frequently and it helps alot.

If your motivation is to get more power, as it has been pointed out, a new exhaust probably isn't going to help much but the ear plugs will sure help with the noise and tinitis.

Paul Szilard - Australia

If you want a more peppier acceleration & better mid range acceleration maybe just look into a GS 3.0:1 final drive or the R bike 2.82:1 final drive gearing..

Twisty

Thanks for that idea. What is the stock FD ratio? I did think that 1st gear is a bit long and needs careful clutch management.

Is an FD change expensive?

Paul Szilard - Australia
Paul

Why would anyone want more power than the 1200RT ? Mine is a rocket ship and so smooth. Sure it is no 998 or FJR, but if that is what you want, go buy one.

LOL! No I think I'll stick with the Beemers, now. But a K1300GT in a year or two isn not out of the question. :)

However the lower FD ratio (or higher - depends which way you look at it :)) is an optin. Do the cop bikes have a non std FD gearing? They would need low speed flexibility and acceloration in preference to top speed - my guess.

Paul, the standard BMW 1200RT comes with a 2.62:1 final drive gearing.. Go ride a BMW 1200 GS with a 3.00:1 final drive.. The GS has slightly less total horsepower but feels stronger..

I’m sure (a new) final drive is expensive but I (think) San José BMW is/was offering just a ring & pinion install in your housing.. E-Bay or a bike breaker might be the best bet.. A person might find a failed final drive then buy the ring & pinion (crown gear set) & build their own up..

I’m shopping for 2.82:1 or 3.0:1 for my current 1200 RT.. That should give me a little better 1st gear launch with a load on the bike & better mid range acceleration without down shifting so far,, I have a feeling it will even give me a little better top speed also as I can’t get to peak RPM in 6th gear now..

Twisty

Archived