IGNORED

Centech AR-130 Relay Location?

Blackrag

04 R1150RT

Those of you who have installed Centech's fuse panels including the harness/relay... I have located the fuse panel in the tail section like some members have indicated here but don't see a clean place to mount the relay? Where have some of you attached the relay on your RT?

I would have mounted it back in the tail with the rest but the accompanying instructions don't want the "relay to the + battery connection" longer than 12" without a "fusible link".

Thanks. Chad

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

i have been planning some wiring myself, i was thinking i would go from the battery to a fuse then on the relay...

i would not count on the relay as a 'fusible link' ... rather than failing in an open state it could just as likely fail with a short to ground and burn your bike down.....

I found a pre-existing bolt in the left-rear corner of the tail cone compartment that connected the lower 1/2 of the underseat pan to the subframe and used it.

The head was easily accessed with the tail light removed and it put the Centech relay in a nice, horizontal position with all of the wires facing forward such that I could route the Red, Black and Orange wires through the body work parallel to the subframe with the Orange / Relay making a detour into the fuse box via a grommeted hole where it ties in to the fuse for the horn. As for the wiring, it's pretty hard to see in photo below but it's there. You can see part of the run where both the Batt/Ground wires are sealed up in some light blue shrink wrap that sneaks in to the mid-frame area next to a gap in the fuse box before going under the seat height adjuster in this LARGE IMAGE of my install. If you look really close at the large image you can see some black plastic spiral wrap running along the subframe just under the helmet holder where there's a spec of orange wire showing through and then see where it exits towards the rear cowl opening: the wires switched over from being protected by the plastic spiral wrap to the blue shrink wrap once it got too narrow for the sprial wrap. In a perfect world, I would have used a 3' section of black shrink wrap; alas, I couldn't find any hence the hybrid approach.

As per the Centech instructions, I opted to install a fuseable link between the red batt. cable and the battery terminal.

Annotated illustration over microfiche & photo of installed system below:

centech.jpg

Centech2l.jpg

I found a pre-existing bolt in the left-rear corner of the tail cone compartment that connected the lower 1/2 of the underseat pan to the subframe and used it.

The head was easily accessed with the tail light removed and it put the Centech relay in a nice, horizontal position with all of the wires facing forward such that I could route the Red, Black and Orange wires (along with my Gerbings wiring) through the body work parallel to the subframe with the Orange / Relay making a detour into the fuse box via a grommeted hole where it ties in to the fuse for the horn. There are two other "conduit" runs under the seat for my Passport SP1 & Garmin wiring + the wires for my Motolights which are hidden under the Passport SP1 conduit.

As for the wiring, it's pretty hard to see in photo below but it's there. You can see part of the run where both the Batt/Ground wires are sealed up in some light blue shrink wrap that sneaks in to the mid-frame area next to a gap in the fuse box before going under the seat height adjuster in this LARGE IMAGE of my install. If you look really close at the large image you can see some black plastic spiral wrap running along the subframe just under the helmet holder where there's a spec of orange wire showing through and then see where it exits towards the rear cowl opening: the wires switched over from being protected by the plastic spiral wrap to the blue shrink wrap once it got too narrow for the sprial wrap with both the Centech & Gerbings wiring. In a perfect world, I would have used a 3' section of black shrink wrap; alas, I couldn't find any hence the hybrid approach.

As per the Centech instructions, I opted to install a fuseable link between the red batt. cable and the battery terminal.

Annotated illustration over microfiche & photo of installed system below:

centech.jpg

Centech2l.jpg

Cameron & Mark, Thanks.

Mark - I like it and I am going to copy it. I originally came across your picture in another post which got me started. Thanks again. It's the answer I was looking for.

Chad

Sorry about the somewhat double posting. I'm not sure how I ended up quoting myself instead of simply editing the text... and then not realizing it until the ability to re-edit had expired.... Probably part of the same malady that made me realize I'd need to do some additional 'splaining about all of the other wiring that was tucked in under the saddle.

Anyway, I grabbed a few more photos to show how the shelf tucks back in the cowl, some additional details regarding the shelf such as the rounded back corners and 6 grommeted holes that the wiring passes through so that the shelf can be pulled out of the tail cone with nearly all of the wiring still connected. And, finally, I stuck the camera into the tail cone so you could see exactly where the Centech's relay is attached.

shelf.jpg

shelf_1.jpg

shelf_2.jpg

Archived