IGNORED

Loud noise on cold start

BDS

Bike - 2004 1150RT with 29,000 miles. This morning when I started the bike it made some very unusual noises that lasted for about 20 seconds. Once warmed up it seemed to mostly disappear, but as I rode I could still hear somewhat of a ticking sound. The noise at start-up sounded to me what others have described as the rattling/pinging noise from the LH camshaft chain tensioner, but the sound seems to be coming from the right side of the engine. Also, I've already replaced the LH tensioner with the new style, so I doubt that's the cause of the noise. As a note, last fall I pulled the heads and decarboned the combustion chamber. The bike has been running perfect all summer (about 5k miles) until today. Could this be the RH camshaft chain tensioner going bad? Last valve adjustment was about 3,500 miles ago. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Thanks, BDS

BDS, I have the same bike so have a little experience. I too have the LH chain tensioner update and that previous startup rattle is gone. And there's no need to update the RH tensioner since it's positioned to not drain the oil like the left side. Chances are your cam chains ain't the problem, especially with that low of mileage. Mine has 39k and the motor is almost as quiet as my Chevy V8.

However, the clutch throwout bearing makes some noise when the engine is cold, clutch engaged (lever out) at idle.

Tell us if the noise disappears as soon as you pull the clutch lever in? If so, it's normal. Even old Airheads do it.

RPG

Tell us if the noise disappears as soon as you pull the clutch lever in? If so, it's normal. Even old Airheads do it.

RPG

Not so with my '04 GS. Started making an intermittent screeching noise when clutch lever was out (no pressure on push rod and throw out bearing); immediately ceased when clutch lever pulled in (pressure on push rod and throw out bearing). Throw out bearing in slave was shot. Check the color of clutch fluid in reservoir, if dark often indicative of bad slave cylinder.

This link will tell and show you more about the slave cylinder than you ever wanted to know. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491635&highlight=changing+clutch+fluid

BDS, your noise could be a lot of things including the clutch release system..

While the L/H cam chain tensioner is usually the noisy side as it sits upside down & can allow overnight oil bleed off.. The R/H side can also make noise under just the right conditions.. While the R/H side sits right side up so oil remains in the tensioner cylinder,, (IF) the engine stops turning with a valve spring compressed & a lifter on the side of a cam lobe near the toe of the cam lobe it can place that spring load on the chain & tenioner.. Given enough time with that spring load it can push the oil out of chain tensioner..

I guess the place to start is to see if your noise comes back.. If it’s there every cold start then suspect something like a clutch cylinder bearing or an alternator belt.. If it only appears once in a great while it could be the R/H chain tensioner..

Twisty

Archived