IGNORED

XM MyFi -- How's It Work?

ScottFla

Anyone out there tried the MyFi personal unit? Seems like a great answer for the lone biker. Interested in hearing about experiences and such. Thanks, Scott

I have been using one on my R12RT for a few weeks now. My wife uses it when she is riding her bike. Ordered a second car cradle to put in my car, but have not gotten around to it yet.

It works great. You will find significant price variances for these things. Try Pricegrabber.com or one of the other services

Scott,

I got the MyFi as an X-mas gift from the wife. I bought a RAM mount from Cycle Gadgets. I used the cradle that came with the MyFi and mounted that to the RAM. I have the antenna bundled up with zip ties and tucked into the side pocket of my Big Mak tank bag. I then use the EAR, Inc. ear plugs that I ordered through Arizona Al to listen to the music.

Changing the station on the MyFi is tricky, particularly with heavier gloves on. The programmable buttons and the dial on the right side of the unit are difficult to manipulate with gloves, especially while at speed on the road.

I've only used the MyFi a couple of times in the car and it was a PITA. The "internal" antenna on the unit doesn't work..period. So, in order to use the unit I had to get a cheap FM transmitter and run the external antenna in the car and hang it off the visor...not a clean look.

The other drawback is battery life, which is only a couple of hours. I think the cradle can be hardwired from the RAM mount to alleviate that problem.

Good luck.

I have used the MyFi in my car with great success. I just put the external antenna on the dash, close to the window.

I have not tried it on the R1200RT yet. Is there a way it can be plugged into the accessory socket below the radio controls for power?

I usually don't change channels much. I keep it on the 50's station.

I don't have the BMW radio on this RT. Didn't really see the need. My ham radio 2-way has the weather channels, so I can get a quick local forecast there, and the XM has all the music, talk, news, etc. you would want.

Didn't notice where you are from, but we live in the Bonita Springs area for the winter months. Getting ready to head down there next week, but will take a couple weeks getting there with some riding in Virginia and the Carolinas if the hurricanes will allow. If not, we will head down to Arkansas for a while before getting back to Florida.

Good luck with the XM

So this is a self contained unit that does not require an FM stereo? So you could plug it into Autocom or other similar devices and both people could listen.

Archived