IGNORED

Tulsa to Torrey Route Question

tcshooter

You are going right past the best stuff. Your route from the springs to Torrey appears to be about 13+ hours saddle time. Not sure what you are used to, and how that will work with the length of day we have now. Frankly, I-70 to UT-72 (sweeper Madness) might be a good choice for a much shorter ride. I-70 is not a bad ride through there.

However, here are some options off of your proposed route. I'm only really familiar from Gunnison west, so just assumed your route up to that point.

This route goes over Grand Mesa. A real winner, and coming in at 11 hours and 36 minutes is probably your best non-I-70 choice!

Try this, or

Go over the Million Dollar Highway and UT-95. This would be your best route if you added an overnight stop, but I wouldn't try it one day.

this, or

Up through Gateway. Again too long for one day IMHO, but that road through Gateway is a winner. I'd put this a distant 3rd.

this.

Should be pretty scenic once you head West out of the Springs,but I haven't been in that area for years. How long do you plan to take to get from the Springs to Torrey?

Edit: Uh-oh, another "team post." blush.gif

191 from La Sal to I-70 is OK, but not really remarkable. Mostly like a 4-lane slab, IIRC. If you think you could afford the time, I suggest going south to Blanding instead (that stretch isn't remarkable either), and then getting on 95 to come up thru Fry Valley to Hanksville. 95 is remarkable, starting just west of Blanding.

Just checked my route, we are going through blanding also and will pickup 95, but we will be in a truck pulling a trailer. Maybe I can talk Jean into driving the rest of the way while I scout ahead on the Tiger. :grin:

191 from La Sal to I-70 is OK, but not really remarkable. Mostly like a 4-lane slab, IIRC. If you think you could afford the time, I suggest going south to Blanding instead (that stretch isn't remarkable either), and then getting on 95 to come up thru Fry Valley to Hanksville. 95 is remarkable, starting just west of Blanding.

Ditto that. That stretch of 191 wouldn't be missed. If you're shooting for a day, I'd do the "Try this, or" route.

Archived