IGNORED

routes to cross the great plains to Torrey

Paul Mihalka

On my way to Torrey obviously I have to cross most of the country. I know I70 well (grrr) and the east/west two-lanes south of I70, which are OK. This time I want to go farther north to hit Estes Park in CO. My second night will be in Chillicothe MO on rt. 36 (it is at the right distance) but from there my choice is I80/I76 through Nebraska or continue on rt. 36 through Kansas. I try to avoid Interstates but some times you need them. Questions: How is traffic load on I80 (I know it's boring)? How slow is rt. 36? Any comments are appreciated.

Paul, I-80 has less traffic than I-70 and is a bit easier on the eyes. I haven't found a real great way thru the middle. You suffer and then in the distance you see the mountains. See you at the CW!

Between Macon & St Joseph Mo, Hwy 36 is really good, we have traveled it many times. My wife has been on 36 to Belleville KS. She says it isn't bad, but there are quite a few towns. It is pretty straight and for the most part flat (there are rolling hills). Depending on the harvest, the road can have tractors and such on it, but you can get around them pretty easy.

Paul, if you find yourself needing to do some slab, I-80 is much nicer than I-70 and, as Marty said, it is much prettier. In fact, I think much of it through Iowa and Nebraska is quite pretty with rolling hills and a few curves for good measure. If given the chance, I will always jump up to 80 instead of the hell that is 70.

See you at BRR!

I've ridden all three and I'd take Rt 36, over either interstate, anytime. Interstates put me to sleep, which leads to treating the roadway like a checkerboard and then the V1 goes off :dopeslap:

Never been on 36 that far east. My in-laws lived in KC for years and I-80 was preferred over I-70, and actually a bit quicker. Less traffic overall, but more trucks than I-70. And, the speed limit on I-80 is 75 mph, but for some reason it is (or was) only 70 mph through most of Kansas on I-70. Go figure.

If you end up coming in on I-80 and would like an alternate route into Estes Park on some local tasty twisties, PM me.

My idea to get into Estes Park fast, and then continue south. That's when the fun starts. I've never done the Peak to Peak highway. I would have liked to ride again up on Mt. Evans, but the top part is already closed. Then some passes, through Leadville and back up Independence Pass to Glenwood Springs. From there south to Durango. Next day Torrey!

Possible change of route based on recomendation of Rich/MrZoom. Instead of starting in Colorado from Estes Park and take the Peak to Peak highway south, start from Fort Collins, take rt. 14 west to rt. 40 east (it really goes south there) continue on rt. 8 to I70 and than go on toward Leadville. Any comments?

US 40 is OK, but I think taking CO 125 south from Walden to Granby, and then 40 West to Kremmling would be more interesting riding. Even better if you can spare the time would be to take CO 14 to US 40 West to CO 131, which is an EXCELLENT M/C road from Oak Creek to Wolcott.

If you hit Fort Collins during business hours and can stop for a meal or a cup of coffee, call me and I'll buy. I'll PM you my cell #.

Paul, if you've never ridden Trail Ridge Rd.(US 34)from Estes Park to Granby, it is quite an experience. We rode it last week, and also rode the Ft. Collins to Walden to Granby route too. If you HAVE ridden US34, then the Ft Collins route is nice--the part before Walden thru high desert (8700 ft.) ringed by mountains--very scenic. But the US34 is the most dramatic scenery if scenery is what you're after.

BTW, your suggestions on crossing Kansas on 50 worked out great for us! Much better than I-70.

Edit: jeez, I shudda just stayed out there another week or so and headed on to Torrey...... :dopeslap:

I have done rt. 34 through the National Park a couple of times, so I'm looking for some different routes, may be less "prepared" for tourists - but there are no bad roads in that part of Colorado.

Archived