IGNORED

Holy %^&@! Now what?

DaBeef

Sooo... I am on the way home from school today (I'm a HS teacher) and as traffic in front of me comes to a stop, I grab the front brake and.....nothing, at least not much, I squeezed harder and slowed down in time, but in need of new underwear. Then the brakes were working again, but the brake failure light was blinking. And even though they were working just as before, I didn't really trust 'em and used engine braking mostly. The bike is and 02 R1150RT with around 56,000 miles. How much trouble am I in? I really love the bike, but I don't know how much I can sink into her now. Ideas?

From your description it sounds like you experienced some kind of intermittent failure of the servo brake system. If everything seems to be working fine now (except for the light) the thing to do would be to pull the fault code and see where that points you. A dealer can do this or maybe you can find someone near you with a GS911 (a consumer fault code reader device.) You could also try a brake fluid flush and fill (to make sure levels are correct in the secondary system) but that would kind of be working in the blind.

From your description it sounds like you experienced some kind of intermittent failure of the servo brake system. If everything seems to be working fine now (except for the light) the thing to do would be to pull the fault code and see where that points you. A dealer can do this or maybe you can find someone near you with a GS911 (a consumer fault code reader device.) You could also try a brake fluid flush and fill (to make sure levels are correct in the secondary system) but that would kind of be working in the blind.

Seth

I'm not sure his bike is safe to drive till he has the fault codes checked???

What do you think?

L

Yes, good point. By 'working fine now' I only meant that fact might make diagnosing the problem more difficult, not that it's OK to ride the bike... I wouldn't advise riding it until it is checked out. Or maybe only to a close-by dealer while being very careful (you do have braking with the servo malfunctioning, although the lever effort is high.) If it happened once it is fairly likely it will happen again... maybe in 5 miles, maybe in 500 miles, but sometime.

found this list these codes flash if you have a fault hope it helps

iABS fault codes

Gen OFF, ABS ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.

Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.

Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 4Hz = Only residual braking function available in both circuits.

Gen ON, ABS off = rear light/brake light defective.

Gen ON, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = At least one brake circuit without ABS.

Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4Hz =At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode.

Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Intergral ABS too low.Low-voltage

No, flash codes on the 1150 I-ABS system.. You need a dealer or a GS-(911) to get the ABS brake codes on that system..

Sounds like a (possible) brake switch problem (check BOTH switches for sticking & proper operation (sometimes a rock will get caught in the rear brake lever area).. Also make sure both ft lever & foot lever are stroking smoothly & fully/easily return to their stops..

If nothing found in the switches or a sticking lever you will need to do as Seth said & have the controller codes read..

Twisty

It happened to my 02 RT with less than 10,000 miles. It was fixed under warranty and I can't remember what it was . Sorry but at least you got over 50, 000 before it happened.

I'm assuming he would still have residual braking..correct???

I'm under the impression that one can still fully operate the brakes when under residual braking up to and including locking them except that it just requires much more effort...right or wrong????

I'm assuming he would still have residual braking..correct???

I'm under the impression that one can still fully operate the brakes when under residual braking up to and including locking them except that it just requires much more effort...right or wrong????

You're right. It's just that it can be kind of dicey if the failure is intermittent and the rider can never be sure what to expect. I'd ride the bike if absolutely necessary, such as to get to a destination if underway, but it would make me a little nervous to deal with the very high lever effort required (when the system fails) in day-to-day use. I really like front brakes on a motorcycle. :grin:

There was some residual braking, so it sounds like a servo. I will definitely check fluid levels and lever travel when i get home, and then it looks like a nervous trip to the dealer. If it is the servo mechanism, any ideas on repair costs? Thanks again for the responses, that was a freaky afternoon. :eek:

What happens if ABS control fails?

A fault in BMW Motorrad Integral ABS is indicated by a corresponding warning display in the instrument cluster.

If only ABS control fails, the integral system and the brake servo action remain operational.

If these systems also fail, the residual brake function is applied.

In the residual braking function, the forces to be applied to the brake levers increase significantly and the lever travel will be longer.

The residual brake function is a mechanical/hydraulic function and is always available in the event of a failure of the BMW Motorrad Integral ABS, regardless of the battery condition. The residual brake function meets all requirements of legislation around the world on the design of brakes for motorcycles and allows the rider to safely brake the motorcycle. The following notes must be observed for riding with the residual brake function:

- Set the brake lever to maximum travel.

- Always brake with both front and rear brakes.

- Be aware of the prevailing road conditions and adapt your braking force accordingly.

Since the residual brake function is for emergencies only, you should visit an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer as quickly as possible to bring the motorcycle back to full BMW Motorrad Integral ABS capabilities.

Archived