IGNORED

Fall Torrey Libations

azkaisr

Since we are sort of going back to basics this year with Fall Torrey, I am thinking we should go back to Scotch as the official drink to be tasted this trip. So if you are thinking of bringing something, that is the drink of choice this trip. Wurty thanks you in advance :)

I just bought a bottle of the Jim Beam, Terry Farrell Fund Special Edition Bourbon. I'll bring it with me to share and raise a toast to the fallen Firefighters, but I'm not much of a Whisk(e)y fan. Are we limiting this tasting to just Scotch Whisky or does any Whiskey or Bourbon count? :grin:

Coincidentally, ShoveStrokeEd was just in town and we went to the Firehouse American Eatery + Lounge in Pacific Beach (right next to Station 21 practically right on the boardwalk) for brunch (AWESOME food, BTW). We had just missed the release party for the Terry Farrell Fund Firehouse Cookbook. Two of my fellow Firefighters from Coronado have a few recipes in the book. Leslie and I have been making Pappy's famous "Geezer Salad" for years and it's always a favorite--though we put a bit more garlic in it than he usually does! :grin:

I'll have to pick up a copy to bring and maybe we can try out some recipes at Bob's on Saturday night. I'd be happy to throw together a Geezer Salad for everyone to go with any main dish anyone else wants to try out. Who's in? :clap:

(Hey, Bob: can you get enough good Romaine lettuce in Torrey or should I bring my own? Leslie and I will be on one bike again, so it probably wouldn't pack too well. Is there a place to pick some up on the way in from SD? If not, can you pick up enough and I'll gladly reimburse you! We'll need some fresh eggs, too, but I can pack the rest of the ingredients. :wave: )

@Jamie; Bourbon is fine amigo

@Nando: Your team spirit has me almost tears

As for a potluck, with us being out and about, I am not sure how much we are going to want to cook. I am game to help for sure but logistics all make it a bit iffy.

Since we are sort of going back to basics this year with Fall Torrey, I am thinking we should go back to Scotch as the official drink to be tasted this trip. So if you are thinking of bringing something, that is the drink of choice this trip. Wurty thanks you in advance :)

Funny....I already packed a nice Scotch for Torrey. Compliments of Jan.

:thumbsup:

(Hey, Bob: can you get enough good Romaine lettuce in Torrey or should I bring my own?
We'll find some, probably have it in Loa but the Torrey greenhouse has been growing stuff this year too.
When did Torrey become an event that had "official libations"?

How 'bout just bring what you like and have fun sharing it?

I have been doing this for 3 years now. Learn to read better will ya!

Well, I will be bringing some type of wine, prolly Red. I've resolved to not bring my "same old reliable" Columbia Crest Merlot.

However, I will not be carrying a bottle all around the Chuckwagon this year trying to give away a drink.

Behave yourselves accordingly. ;):grin:

[waves hand subtly] You don't need to see our libations . . . .

These are not the drinks you're looking for . . . .

You can go about your business . . . .

Move along . . . .

:grin:

I know, you were expecting Monty Python or Star TREK weren't you?!?!? Hah!! Gotta keep you guessing . . . after all, some of us try not to be that predictable. I know, you're probably still pining for the fjords! :rofl:

[waves hand subtly] You don't need to see our libations . . . .

These are not the drinks you're looking for . . . .

You can go about your business . . . .

Move along . . . .

I know, you were expecting Monty Python or Star TREK weren't you?!?!? Hah!! Gotta keep you guessing . . . after all, some of us try not to be that predictable. I know, you're probably still pining for the fjords! :rofl:

Nice. Unleash the inner Obi Wan.

Just tryin to keep it simple. The fewer "Official" things we have in this world, the better.

Torrey started as a small group of folks who heard about some good roads in Utah and decided to go check them out. Over the years it has morphed and evolved into being more/less organized. Sometimes out of necessity, sometimes because people like to feel like they're helping and making things "better". IMO, what makes these things really great is the lack of structure. Folks make their own good time rather than having someone serve it to them piece by piece. That's what makes it special.

Nando: Your team spirit has me almost tears

A few Torreys ago, I brought a pre-release bottle of Cuervo Blue given to me by a customer who works for Cuervo in Mexico, in appreciation for some favors I'd done for him in securing some hard-to-get parts rather rapidly. We shared it with anyone who wanted some and it was absolutely the finest tequilla I've ever had. Beyond smooth. No burn. No need for either lime or salt.

Yeah, I know what they say that bottle was worth. To me, it was worth it to share with my friends. I had a shot or two more than usual, so I don't recall everyone who partook. But I hope you were one of them.

As for this year's Scotch, I'll chip in whatever Wurty chips in. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since no one really LIKED the Laphroaig last time, I didn't push to get more this time (and frankly ran out of time today). However, my "source" is sending a bottle of (ri)1 and a bottle of Talisker 10 year...

I'm sure you guys will leave SOME left over for Friday night. :)

(What did ever happen to that Booker's a few Torrey's ago?)

Archived