IGNORED

difference in GSA engine vs RT engine?

eng943

Can anyone tell me why the boxer makes 110 in the RT and only 105 in the GS?
I don't know exactly why on the R12s, but on the R11's it was because the GS engine was tuned for slightly better low range torque. A popular mod in the '99-'00 time frame was to swap out the tubes from the airbox to the throttle bodies (they were longer on the GS) into the RT to obtain the GS's increased bottom end torque. Interesting theory, but not much difference noted by the seat-o-pants meter. I'm guessing that the same approach to tuning was applied to the R12s.
Can anyone tell me why the boxer makes 110 in the RT and only 105 in the GS?

Last I checked, they were tuned differently. The RT has higher compression, and possibly a little different cam profile and timing. HTe GS is optimized for bettter low RPM and midrange performance. The RT sacrifices bottom end for higher RPM performance. Lower compression genrally enhances low RPM torque at the expense of theretical efficincy and top end.

Lower comrpession...depending on timing and piston and combuston chamber design, will allow the GS to run on lower octane fuel than the RT... if needed, while circling the globe.

Cams, fuel maps, and timing to get more torque at the low end where you need it offroad. Other than that I think they are the same motor, like eng943 said compression is the same and I believe the PN for the pistons is also..

Archived