IGNORED

Tires - Pirelli anyone?

Caseyd

Yes another Tire question. I read the last couple and it appears everyone here likes the Avon Azero AV45ST and AV46ST. Has anyone tried the Pirelli Diablo Strada's yet?

I read something about them in Cycle World last year that was positive. Just looking for any real world experince.

I have also heard good things about the Metz ME 880 - anyone tried them?

I have a 2004 K1200GT, just rolled over 6,000 miles and my rear is gone. The front tire seems to have some cupping, when I let go of the bars at 40-50 mph, the bars shake terribly. They feel uneven, so I was going to replace it also.

I ride mostly straight and flat, here in BFE Indiana. I love to corner when I get the chance, but there just is not that much of it here. When I get in the turns I hit them hard, but it ijust is not that often I can hit very many. My but puckers up pretty good in the wet weather, as the power of the GT likes to spin the rear, so wet weather traction is important to me. I have siginificant wear on the sides of my tires, but I now have a very pronounced flat spot in the middle, I think the stock is a Bridgestone Battelax 54 or something like that.

Thanks for the input, I was hoping someone would have some experience on the two new tires that are out.

I haven't tried them, but over on the K12 site there was one post (could've been more, I don't go there much) about the Diablo Stradas, and the poster loved them. He thought they'd go at least 6K before they needed to be replaced.

I still like the Avons. smile.gif

I've tried Bridgestones (came with the bike), Pilot Roads (my favorite on my RT), and then came the Avons. I've never looked back and am working on set number 3.

I really should try something else out, so if you decide to go for the Pirelli's, please post back about your experience.

No experience yet but ordered Sport Demons for my K75RT today after e-mail reply from Southwest Moto Tires said that he has friends that like thest tires on the K 75's.......We'll see.......

I'm interested too in replys to your post.....How do folks like Pirelli's?......

Phil.........Redbrick

I was not happy with the feedback I recieved with the Pirelli's. Not that I found anything bad, but limited people have bought them. I don't want to be a tester, so I went ahead and ordered the Avon's, thinking their winter tracking might be better than the Pirelli, I may try them next time in the spring.

Should be installed next week.

Feeling like the Lone Ranger here.....Any Pirelli riders out there? confused.gif.........Input appreciated, good or not so good.......

Thanks.

Phil........Redbrick

Kimo Sabe, I don't think most folks wouul look upon Siver, you RT version of the K75, as a candidate for Sport Pirellis.

Most of the K posters here are likely to be looking for high mileage tires, which the Strada series might be. However, there have been overwhelminly positive experiences with other brands. Looking it over, in Sport Touring, nobody makes gready, slippery, evil corning tires (evcen ME880s on a K1200RS do well in ST cornering), so where a tire returns outstanding mileage as Avons and Michelins do, don't wiggle around on uneven pavement, and have sound wet weather performance (and opinions have varied about specific tires there), those are going to be given the greatest attention.

For me, the outstaning wear of Azaros and Pilot Roads meets the need of my greater than six thousand mile trips. I'm not interested in learning if Pirellis might last the 8,000 miles I need. And, I don't even glance a super sticky Dunlops or Bridgestones - they aren't going to help my kind of riding at all.

Perhaps some K75-specific group, or IBMWR would know more about the Pirellis performance in your particular kind of use.

Best wishes.

Weigh-in time... 270# (yes Dr. trying to slim down!!)

Seriously, I am on my 2nd set of Pirelli's on the RS. I had my trusty steed shod in Mexico City with Dragons (all they had, they were fine) and now sport a pair of the Diablos (I like). Along the way, Michelins (great), Brigstones (OK) and the original Metzlers (I think, on the bike and worn).

No matter how I slice it "ALL" the tires I have used get about the same mileage (5 - 6K). I went again with the P's because I got 2 for 1 last year on some promo...

What Dick said... But also, I think it has everything to do with where you ride, how you ride, your bikes condition (suspension) and if you stay on the air pressure. We don't have much rain in So Cal (sans last winter!) so I can't say about that aspect. Or your road condition(s). And the turning in, turning out, stopees, wheelies, tar snakes, warp speed - impulse power... And so on, the factors that also contribute to the results.

From what I can see, especially for the RS there is no clear looser (crap) out there.

Sooo.... Use the old "KISS" it/(them) strategym.

My $25 (I take PayPal)

Get baby some new shoes and get out there...

ljv

Thanks guys for the general input on Pirelli's and tires in general..I'm trusting advice from Brian at So'west Moto Tires and my Sport Demon's will be mounted on the K75 next Tuesday so I'll find out about them soon...My main issue is a loss of confidence in the Dunlop's that are on it...Hard as a rock and have given me a few twitches that I didn't think were appropriate..Back tire particularly..Last one in Dick Franz's country on Bouquet Canyon Road with a little water on the road last weekend....Nothing serious, but others have happened in which I felt the tires could have done a better job...Feel comfortable on wife's 1150RT with 020 Bridgestone's and trust them, and yes, I know the big differences in technology between the bikes...Just want a little more sticky and maybe a little bigger contact patch..These Dunlop's look like they'd go 15,000 miles or more...They sure are built for mileage but I have to feel comfortable so they're gone...

Thanks again thumbsup.gif......

Phil...........Redbrick

The only Pirelli's I've ever had were on my car and I wasn't real impressed with them, so put Michelins on next time.

I've got a K75 that had Michelin Macadams on it, they were good tires but pretty "hard", wore well, but were not confidence-inspiring at speed. They did well in rain but had a tendancy to "wander" on rough or roto-milled pavement. I put a set of the new Metzler LazerTec's on the K75 this year and have about 4000 miles on them now (trip to the Canadian Rockies with my son), and have been very very pleased with them. I have MEZ6's on the RT and love them. The K75 typically gets almost twice the mileage out of tires as the RT does.

Pirelli Sport Demons installed on K75RT today..I'll reserve full comment until they have some miles on them but "feel real good", night and day compared to the Dunlops...Found the following comment on another site...Had heard that Pirelli owned Metzler........

"You know your Pirellis are Metzelers in disguise. Pirelli owns Metzler. Metzler's claims their tires are hand finished, but for a big price difference, you can get the same carcass and tread compound for a lot cheaper with the Pirelli. I had a Pirelli MT08 on the rear. Same as the stock MEZ2 that came with my ST. They got the same amount of mileage and had the same traction, just a different tread pattern and a whole lot cheaper. (Johnathan #145)"

Phil..........Redbrick

Archived