IGNORED

New Tire Thread

Vicious_Cycler

Vicious_Cycler

Hopefully this is something other than an, "I like brand X" question. I replaced a pair of Z6's after about 3000 miles with a pair of Dunlop RoadSmart II's. These now need to be replaced at 4500 miles. This seems pretty inconsistent with the mileage most people report on the board.

What is the differential diagnosis of short tire life? Shot suspension? Too aggressive riding style ( :rofl:)? Incorrect tire pressures? Too much load ( I normally ride 1-up w/o luggage, so be easy)?

In the past I posted some pics of the Z6's w/ most wear showing down the center. Most people commented that it appeared I mostly rode straight-line upright, as on the interstate (not true, I try to never ride the interstate). Given that, some suggested I may be running too high tire pressures (42/44 at the time) so I dropped the pressures to 38/40.

The wear pattern on the RS II's are the same, wear bars showing on the center strip. The center compound is clearly delineated from the laterals, though the lateral edges are scrubbed in well, i.e. no chicken strips.

I'm at a loss as to why I am getting such low mileage out of tires others ride so much longer. I would really like to hear some of that good ol' BMWST wisdom before replacing this set. Thanks all.

Lots of factors. I think weight/load on the bikes is the smallest one. If you really have no chicken strips, it means you are a sporting rider. That means not only lean angles but also hand on the throttle. Road surfaces where you ride can be much more abrasive than on other people's rides, so don't compare. Some things can make a difference that usually you don't think of. Like a extra large windshield would affect tire mileage. I know that a XL shield compared to a stock shield can make a 5mpg (yes) difference. That means you are applying that much more throttle and transmit that much more power through the tires to maintain the same speed.

If you are looking for tire mileage IMHO there is nothing to beat the Metzeler ME880. As I use 4 to 5 rear tires a year I accumulated some experience :) Even in a sporting riding style they hold up well, in spite of some voices to the contrary. I had them on a track flaking to the edges and they were OK.

Vicious_Cycler

Hey Paul, thanks a lot. I have long considered the 880's but for my fear of them in the rain. I invariably get rained on during any motorcycle trip. Not a shower mind you but Biblical deluge. This has happened almost w/o fail for years, some kind of Charlie Brown thing I guess. Anyway, that's my concern w/ the 880's.

After reading youyr reply, I guess I am a little lead-footed (wristed?). I have never thought of myself as sporty though, just wishful thinkng.

Even in a sporting riding style they hold up well, in spite of some voices to the contrary. I had them on a track flaking to the edges and they were OK.

And how long ago was this track day? You are truly amazing!

Hey Paul, thanks a lot. I have long considered the 880's but for my fear of them in the rain.

Hey Glen, what is the problem with the ME880's in the rain? I run them, and have lots of confidence in them in the rain. They are great.

I just put a new set on, after getting 12,000 miles(18000 km) on the last set. There were no chicken strips on them either. And they are quite a bit less expensive than the RP2's.

YMMV

Vicious_Cycler
Hey Paul, thanks a lot. I have long considered the 880's but for my fear of them in the rain.

Hey Glen, what is the problem with the ME880's in the rain? I run them, and have lots of confidence in them in the rain. They are great.

Steve, I have been under the impression that the harder compound of the 880's is more likely to slip in the rain. This is what "they" have said. I have no experience w/ them and if you say they stick well in the rain that is very encouraging to hear.

It would be interesting to read from people who used the ME880 and went away from it because of consistent slipperiness in the wet, or consistent insufficient traction in agressive riding. One sliding out and getting scared is not good enough. It could be anything on the road or rider error. Report from K1200LT riders does not count. They use the bias version, and a much heavier bike on the same size tire will slide earlier than a lighter bike. To accelerate at the same rate or stop in the same distance a heavy bike loads the tires much more than a lighter one. The very first ME880 tires were specially designed for the K1200LT. I think their "bad reputation" is from that usage.

Paul! I went away from the ME880's, but not because of slipperiness in the rain. I thought the tires were just fine for the riding I do (and I have done lots in the rain). I switched brands because they were getting just too darned expensive up here in Canada. I think I paid about $575.00 Cdn. for my last set in 2006...not installed.

Paul! I went away from the ME880's, but not because of slipperiness in the rain. I thought the tires were just fine for the riding I do (and I have done lots in the rain). I switched brands because they were getting just too darned expensive up here in Canada. I think I paid about $575.00 Cdn. for my last set in 2006...not installed.

OUCH!

It would be interesting to read from people who used the ME880 and went away from it because of consistent slipperiness in the wet, or consistent insufficient traction in agressive riding. One sliding out and getting scared is not good enough. It could be anything on the road or rider error. Report from K1200LT riders does not count. They use the bias version, and a much heavier bike on the same size tire will slide earlier than a lighter bike. To accelerate at the same rate or stop in the same distance a heavy bike loads the tires much more than a lighter one. The very first ME880 tires were specially designed for the K1200LT. I think their "bad reputation" is from that usage.

Paul,

I went away from the 880 for one reason. The darn thing lasted even less mileage than my previous Z6's. Z6's lasted 5500 miles and the 880 was shot at 5000 miles. This is running @38F & 40R psi. When 2up I run 40 &42psi. I don't ride aggressively (well not on this bike). I think it is due to the road surfaces everyone rides on. Out here the darn "Chip Seal" is very rough and seems to eat tires. The 880's weren't an issue in the rain for me, but then again they weren't "pushed" hard in the rain either.

I have over 8500 miles on my rear Roadsmart. Front did not do too well. What I like about the Roadsmart is that it has given me the second highest mileage of any tire I have used. ME 880 gave me over 9K. The Roadsmart is still not nearly as "squared off" as any other tire I have used and is just as quiet as it was the day I installed it. The ME 800 was very noisy when in even a slight turn after about 6K miles. I run 40-42 lbs in the rear and 38-40 in the front.

I have a friend that rides an R1150RS in a "spirited" manner and consistently gets 10-12,000 miles out of a set of Pilot Roads. Not the new dual compound tire, but the original Pilot Road tires.

If you haven't at least tried a set, you'll never know.

Big Gray, I just, last week, bought another set of ME880's for my RT, in Saint John, NB Canada, for 330.00 plus tax. He charged 25.00 per tire to install and balance. Great local shop.

Go East young man!

Another factor that may come into play in tire longevity could be whether the rider is trail braking during cornering. I used to wear out front tires at about 60% the rate of rears. Since I started trail braking, I tend to wear them out at the same rate. YMMV

Vicious_Cycler

Thus far, it seems as though the brand/model of tire, riding style, and road composition are the important factors involved in tire life. I asked about suspension b/c my bike has 20k miles, often a benchmark in needing new shocks. I'm not sure I'm really aware as to what to look for in worn shocks so thats why I asked.

I really don't think of myself as a spirited rider. Having recently rented a 2009 HD Road Glide, however, I do find the RT much more difficult to "sightsee" ride than maybe I thought ;);) . It's hard to restrain a thoroughbred that wants to run! Maybe that's the price of admission or maybe I haven't found my tire. PR2's next I suppose.

I must be doing something terribly wrong.

My Triumph still had visually good rubber (sufficient tread) but understeered badly on Pilot Roads on the last three mountain runs I did and the front felt loose. I replaced it with a PR2 at 10,000Km and now it runs on rails.

The ME880 I have on my R1150RT has done around the same, 9,500Kms, looks good but the tread is feathered on the edges and it oversteers at low speed. It wants to fall into low speed bends and is dreadful to ride. That's just over 5,600 miles. It seems OK at higher speeds but not great.

Really, it's time to replace it but the rear has ages to go yet. The Bridegstones I had on previously rode well until they just plain wore down.

I was seeking longer mileage but have not found it with the ME 880 (the front at least). I ride at 36+42.

Linz :)

Vicious_Cycler

So it appears that tire tread life is highly individualized. These RoadSmarts are to the wear-bars, would most riders change them immediately or squeeze another few hundred miles out of them? When are you really on borrowed time?

So it appears that tire tread life is highly individualized. These RoadSmarts are to the wear-bars, would most riders change them immediately or squeeze another few hundred miles out of them? When are you really on borrowed time?

Well -- does it ever rain in Nashville? Personally, I would be replacing my tires just for the added traction reserve in rain storms.

So it appears that tire tread life is highly individualized.

Give that man a prize!

I think you have it in a nutshell. There is no ryme or reason from one rider to the next. I get pretty much 5,500 to 6,000 from my rear tires, some show the cords, some just lose grip. I get about 9,000 from the front, usually the left side goes down to no-thread, while there's a little on the center, but the time is due.

I prefer to rate tires in terms of enjoyment instead of longevity. I enjoyed the Z4's more than the Z6's, and that' swhy I went to Dunlops, but then I enjoyed the BT020's a lot more than the D-205, I have enjoyed the Conti-RA's more than any of the above. They all lasted about the same, Dunlop's being the least, Bridgestones the most, and now Contis seem to be lasting even better at 5,500 with plenty of thread left and most joy factor yet.

There's a reason why these tire threads are almost always signed; "YMMV".

Best,

Another factor that may come into play in tire longevity could be whether the rider is trail braking during cornering. I used to wear out front tires at about 60% the rate of rears. Since I started trail braking, I tend to wear them out at the same rate. YMMV

What is trail braking?

I usually used 2 rears to each front on my /6.

I have only had the R1100RT for 1,000 miles. The front is getting down to 5/64 that = .083Inches. The book says don't run em below .08". It has Z6 front ad rear. I think I am going to stick with them, The bike handles awesome. They seem to stick to the pavement weather cornering or braking. Never drove it in the rain.....Yet.

I like reading this stuff. Radials are a whole new world compared to the tubed bias ply tires on my /6.

David

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I too have a lot of wear on my Roadsmart front 3k miles. Rear was fine, slightly square, 'till an f'in nail found it this week.

Polo,

I took your word and bought the Conti Road Attacks. Just finished mounting them, and planning some riding Fri to test them out. I pulled a set of Met Z6s off that had around 12000 miles on them. Nice tire, but not thrilled on how they slip sideways on tar-snakes while cornering.

Trail braking is the application of your brakes well into a corner where you gradually trail off braking force and usually not fully releasing brake effort until near the apex point. So, you are simultaneously applying partial throttle and brakes. It can be handy to use in the more technical corners such as decreasing radii, mountain switchbacks, etc. However, its use on the street is controversial as MSF and others consider it to be a racing technique. In any event, it should be used with caution and practiced in parking lots, etc before trying it on the street.

PS - I am a big fan of Conti Road Attacks.

My 2000 RT has worn a lot of tires. It came with MEZ 2's that were pure junk. I started using Dunlop 205's and was moderately happy until they discontinued the 18" rears. After voicing a complaint at the Dealer Convention in Indianapolis Metzeler sent me a set of MEZ 4's gratis. They were OK but the Z6's that followed never measured up. Pilot Roads wore and handled fine but myself and a buddy had road debris flats. I'm not sure if it is fair to say the tires are prone but they do have a very thin carcass. 221's were supposed to be the long mileage version of the 220's but I found that the dual compound worked well on super slab but wears quickly with aggressive cornering.

The only tires I REALLY HATED was a set of Avons. I don't remember the model but I took them off with lots of remaining tread because IF IT CLOUDED up they got slippery.

After all these years I have settled on Perelli Diablo Statas. I am getting 9500 out of the rears and 11000 fronts. They are a fair rain tire. They thing I like is that the handling is consistent clear to the end. Some tires handle poorly during the last 25% of their life.

SCOTTIE

I have Dunlop Road Smarts as well. I like them at first, but after a couple thousand miles, they had a noticeable "ring" around the center of the tire as the sides wore away much more quickly.

At 4K miles, the dealer said I should replace them, but they didn't look all that worn to me. I now have 6 K miles on them and the front tire is really shot. The back tire doesn't look terrible, but I usually change both at the same time. I think I'm going back to Michelin Pilot Roads. Have not had them on this bike but on my R1150R, got 11K miles out of them.

Dan

Now I'm really confused. I have about 8K on my ME880's and the front is down to 2mm so due replacement soon (rear still has over 4mm tread). I "was" thinking of change to Roadsmarts, but perhaps I'll stay with the ME880's. Last set were Avon's and they didn't last 7K. (Old guy and I use the RT mostly as a commuter on I-15).

Metzler has a new front tire. Its still a Z6, but they went from dual compound to single and changed the steel belt design. Ordering one today.

I am not a good tester of tires, I wear out the center....

David :)

Archived