IGNORED

Arrrrrrr!

Bill_Walker

As Arrrr1200Arrrrrr!

I've been thinking about replacing my V-Strom for a while now, but wasn't really sure what I was looking for (as some of you who've been questioned about other bikes are well aware. I think I've asked about F800STs, Tuonos, FZ1s, K1200Rs, and have also considered a Bonneville or Street Triple). Mostly I was thinking something a bit smaller, and maybe lighter, that I'd be happier riding around town and in local twisties.

A few weeks ago, San Diego BMW MC had an "open house" and while there I test rode a K1200R. Lots of fun, big power, but I found that the more forward riding position didn't allow me to adequately turn my head to check for traffic when changing lanes. This wasn't helped by the demo bike having a loose left mirror! I got to take it on a twisty road (Highland Valley Rd., for those from SD), and there were also a fair number of "OMG here's the corner already" moments! :)

Last week, I took my RT in for service because there was some play in the rear wheel, and I figured I'd get new tires while there (I know, coulda done it lots cheaper. I was in the mood to pay for convenience). The rear wheel turned out to only be paralever bearings that needed adjusting. Phew!

Anyway, while there, San Diego BMW Motorcycles gave me an R1200R as a loaner. I decided I had nothing more important on my agenda, and took it for a nice long ride, out to Borrego Springs via Banner Grade and back via the "Glass Elevator", and down said Highland Valley Rd. (only 105 in BS!).

I found that I really, really liked the R1200R. It had a ZTechnik screen on it that was very good up to about 75 and then got pretty buffet-y, but there are plenty of other options. The power was plenty good for me, and the losing the 160 lbs. of heft compared to my RT was really nice. The riding position was darn near perfect, maybe a little tight in the knees. I'm nearly always too hot on the RT (well, OK, not in Death Valley in January), so a semi-naked bike holds a lot of appeal for me. That extra airflow finally made my mesh suit WORK! I was starting to think that I'd found a bike that could replace BOTH my Strom (which I've never taken off-road) and my RT.

About the only downside that I can think of to the R1200R for touring is the limited range, compared to an RT. Only 4.6 gallons in the tank compared to what, 6.6? Probably 180 miles to empty, vs. 260. Since a fair amount of my touring is with RT riders (and you know who you are), I'd be the guy calling for gas stops (or tows!).

Thoughts? Paul, I know you've toured a lot on an RT-lite.

Only 4.6 gallons in the tank compared to what, 6.6?

R 1200 RT: 7.1 g usable, quoted. I think I put 7.3 g in one time. Range varies from 225 miles worst case to over 400 miles, best case, and is typically at a very comfortable 300 miles between fills.

I'll lower the price on the Tuono, just for you.

;)

R12R is a nice bike.

:thumbsup:

Well, I still haven't ridden a Tuono, but I suspect if I'd did I'd find that same "OMG here's the corner already" surprise/thrill that I enjoyed/feared on the K1200R. By "feared", I mean it made me fear for my license. And I don't think I'd care to tour on the Tuono. Then again, life is short, and why would I want to go down to just one bike?

Do you think maybe I analyze things too much? :)

Bill,

Our customers who have added the Scout fairing (several) report @52mpg, 2 up, loaded w/gear, highway speeds.

I think the R and ST versions of the Boxer get better mileage by far than the RT.

Take a look at the parabellum site for the Scout fairing.

Multiple windscreen heights and can be painted to match the bike.

I'll lower the price on the Tuono, just for you.

;)

R12R is a nice bike.

:thumbsup:

Well, I still haven't ridden a Tuono, but I suspect if I'd did I'd find that same "OMG here's the corner already" surprise/thrill that I enjoyed/feared on the K1200R. By "feared", I mean it made me fear for my license. And I don't think I'd care to tour on the Tuono. Then again, life is short, and why would I want to go down to just one bike?

Do you think maybe I analyze things too much? :)

Ya know I've owned both bikes, they have nothing in common. The K12R feels like a lead fill tank compared to the T. I have never done more than 400 miles on the T in one day. It would have to be a second bike. But it sure is purty.

;)

FYI...the riding position of the T is more upright than the K12R is without risers, more cause of the reach than the height of the bars.

Bill,

Our customers who have added the Scout fairing (several) report @52mpg, 2 up, loaded w/gear, highway speeds.

Hmm, so that makes more like 240 miles range, which makes it pretty doable. Of course, I've seen people report mileages in the 50s on an R1150RT, too. I get 40. Maybe I've got a wrist problem. So, how many customers are reporting 52?

Ya know I've owned both bikes, they have nothing in common. The K12R feels like a lead fill tank compared to the T. I have never done more than 400 miles on the T in one day. It would have to be a second bike. But it sure is purty.

;)

FYI...the riding position of the T is more upright than the K12R is without risers, more cause of the reach than the height of the bars.

Guess I'd better plan a trip to SA to ride your Tuono, then. :)

;)

Guess I'd better plan a trip to SA to ride your Tuono, then. :)

You don't need a reason to come visit.

BTW.....The T is all shined up with new tires and service.

:grin:

Bill I have a 2005 R1150R and I have traveled all over with it. The only time the gas tank has even come into question is traveling with other RTs with larger tanks, short of that NO PROBLEMS. (truth be known...they (RT RIDERS) don't mind the stops) I have enough HEAVY bikes that the R1150R/R1200R is an absolute pleasure to ride. I have put on over 800 miles a day with the stock touring screen with no problems.

There are peg lowers available and I do have them on my bike.

In the Florida heat I ride alot cooler than the RT riders and with ALL the options they have...

Bill,

Several.

But, I get 34-40 w/my GT and many indicate higher averages than that so it is an individual thing.

I think perhaps the Scout helps too.

Most riders of the non RT R's (R, S, ST, RS, RSL) seem to get better mileage overall than the RT's but I do hear people talk high mpg's w/the RT also.

Depends on roads and wrist I guess.

Any way you can take one out w/a full tank and ride enough to refill and kalkalate?

"About the only downside that I can think of to the R1200R for touring is the limited range, compared to an RT. Only 4.6 gallons in the tank compared to what, 6.6? Probably 180 miles to empty, vs. 260. Since a fair amount of my touring is with RT riders (and you know who you are), I'd be the guy calling for gas stops (or tows!)."

Bill,

I have a R1200R with Ohlins and a Bill Mayer seat. Your question about fuel range has never been an issue for me. However, my riding is almost exclusively in the twisties and I need a break long before I am in need of fuel. If you are slabbing all day you could probably expect between 200-220 miles before being out of fuel.

Also, the R1150R is not the same bike as the R1200R. Geometry, suspension, engine, brakes, etc. are totally different.

I cannot say enough good things about this motorcycle. The only negative I can think of is; it sure ain't pretty.

Get one....you will not regret it.

Gil Horsley

Atlanta, GA

Arrr, Me matey, this be pleasin' to my eye.

Switch your Facebook Accts to "English (Pirate) beta". At the bottom left of your home page, click where it says "English (US)" to see and change your language choices.

Then you can blabber to yer' mates, weigh in, see friends scrawlins',

ShovelStrokeEd

Bill,

I happen to be in Sandy Eggo at the moment and for the remainder of the week.

Send me a PM and I'll offer you a test ride on the answer to your prayers. 95% of the performance of a Tuano, about the same in weight but with 3 cylinders of the most under rated engine on the planet. It's got a full fairing but doesn't keep air off your body like an RT. Just enough to make bad weather better.

Best thing is they are cheap.

BTW.....The T is all shined up with new tires and service.

Well then, since I'm the expert on new tire break in... I'll be right out!

Bill, the range may be an issue for us out on the left coast... think about all that desert on the way to Torrey or DVD.

I'd also make sure the bags are sufficient for your kind of trips...

And they are some sweet rides!

Bill, the range may be an issue for us out on the left coast... think about all that desert on the way to Torrey or DVD.

I'd also make sure the bags are sufficient for your kind of trips...

And they are some sweet rides!

On the bags, the R1200R uses the same bags as the R1200RT. Dunno about the Triumph bags, we'll see. But I do tend to be a pack rat. Don't think I'd try to tour on the Tuono.

As for the range, there are some tight spots, e.g.,

Ely, NV to Tonopah, NV 172 miles, no services. That's about the longest stretch I can think of (though I'm thinking there's a long one on I-70 in UT, too). As long as you don't have a headwind, no problem.

Bill, If you can live with the range, the R1200R can be made into a great RT-lite. I am not for extra gas tanks or a gallon in the saddlebag. Tallman's suggestion of the Parabellum Scout is spot on. I loved mine on the R1150R. I still miss that bike.

200 miles fits right in with Jean and I. The Tiger holds 5.2 and I can squeeze 230 but usually stop much sooner. The stock bags are small, but I modded the right side to standard after lowering the stock exhaust. Stock screen must be fixed with madstad rotomounts, too much turbulence otherwise.

Perfect for better air on the mesh, and light sharp handling. 545 lbs full tank, and side panniers with tankbag.

Ah! ARRRR! Bill Lad, I Love the ARRRRRRRRRR, so I do, me hearty :grin:!

I'd go for an R1200R in a heartbeat....love little LeRoy, my R1100R. Its my commute and hoon bike and more fun that a box of frogs :clap:

Tried on an R1200R for size at Alamo and both Deb and I liked it a LOT. Kitted out, it would make a real nice touring bike...so you got to get off an ease your butt a little more but, at your age, that wouldn't be a bad thing mate :rofl:

Ely, NV to Tonopah, NV 172 miles, no services. That's about the longest stretch I can think of (though I'm thinking there's a long one on I-70 in UT, too). As long as you don't have a headwind, no problem.

I can think of a stretch coming/coasting/being towed into Baker that might give you a problem, too . . . IIRC. :wave:

I can think of a stretch coming/coasting/being towed into Baker that might give you a problem, too . . . IIRC. :wave:

Yeah, yeah. But only because we decided to skip the usual stop in Twentynine Palms!

Bill,

I bought an 06 1200 RT in Utah and really enjoyed it but when I moved to Western North Carolina, with all the twisty roads out here I found the RT to be top heavy and I dropped it twice at startup speeds because of all the hills. Very embarrassing. I went looking for a lighter bike and a better center of gravity and I discovered the R1200 R. Unbelieveable! This is by far the best bike I've every ridden. Lighter as you know, lower center of gravity, intuitive in the corners and the naked part of it is just plain fun. I have the Ztechnic and frankly I don't mind the little bit of buffeting I get over 70 since most of my rides are on the curves here. I can tell you the tank will go 250 miles. I know because I ran out of gas because the guage stopped working. That should be plenty of distance for you. I usually fill up at 220 which is about the time my ass starts to ache.

I don't like the hard bags. They just don't look right on a naked bike like this so I purchased the Cortech Tourmaster Tri-Bag system and it holds as much as I'll ever need for a trip.

I've had subsequent conversations with the technicians at our local BMW shop and it's their favorite bike. The first gear is better than the RT; fewer stalls and not so tall. The gears are like butter, but that balance, wow. Once you put a few weeks into it and let that boxer loosen up and you start building your confidence on the bike, it's better than my Kawi 650 Versys by a long shot and I bought the Versys to do the twisties here. I can't speak highly enough about this bike. In my opinion, it's the best kept secret in the BMW line.

Bruce

I may have a new favorite. Ed very generously let me ride his Sprint ST today. Now, normally when I ride other bikes, it takes me a little while to get used to the bike, figure out how to corner it, brake it, shift it. Not so with the Sprint. We were in full mind-meld by the time I got out of the parking lot! I never had a problem with a shift, never put a wheel where I didn't want it, nuthin.

The motor! Awesome acceleration (low weight helps here), and the song it sings is intoxicating. I could listen to it all day. Very wide power band, very flexible. You can accelerate in any gear at any RPM, pretty much.

The handling, with Ed's suspension set-up, was pretty much telepathic.

The only thing I didn't absolutely love about the bike was the riding position. Ed has bar risers/backs on his '07, but it's still a pretty aggressive position, at least for my spine. Ed says the '08 has higher bars. The position was great in the twisties, but I'm not sure crossing Nevada would be so good. Further investigation is required.

Oh, the other bad thing might be the effect it might have on the status of my license.

Seriously, my RT felt like a tractor afterward. The Sprint reminded me of a K1200S, only lighter and smaller.

:grin:

Triumph is making some very nice rides these days.

:wave:

Lemme guess, Tim. Do you sell Triumphs, too? Or are you waving "bye-bye" from the BMW side?

Archived