IGNORED

1200 RT question???

firefighter217

You made me check my RT and RTP. Both do the same thing, sure it is a computer function check. Goes out then yellow, that goes out then the brake failure light will flash. Once you ride off that too will go out once all systems are a go. Normal stuff.

firefighter217

Thanks for the extra effort motorman, zee Germans sure do know how to confuse a guy! I guess I never really paid attention! Going from a bare bones R 1150 to a 1200RT superkomputerbike can be a bit intimidating !

It is the normal check of the systems and warning lights. What freaks others out is the BRAKE FAILURE light that doesn't go out until you ride a few feet. That's normal too.

:thumbsup:

The "CHECK" means it is doing the diagnostic check before you start it. It will do it everytime you start the bike. Once it goes out, you are safe to start the bike and ride off. The brake failure light (as said) will go out after you start out. If it doesn't, your brake fluid resevoir may be low. That can happen when the pads start to wear and it takes more fluid to fill the lines.

The Germans have an interesting philosophy. Seems like they like to make it seem as if it is a problem until it isn't.

Also, be advised, you may see a at some point pointing to oil. This simply means that the computer thinks that the oil level in the sight glass is low. Just verify it. Chances are, if it is a little lower then full, it will go away when you stop at a light. At least that is what my '05 does.

firefighter217

Thanks for the advise,... I was concerned more about the initial Red ( ! ) ... Than anything: I guess it starting out as Red then after a second or two the orange ! And "set" on the display... I guess I just didn't realize it before... Like I mentioned, I've only owned it a couple of weeks.

To complete filling in detail: The reason the lights do not go out until you have gone a short distance is that the system is waiting to see pulses from both ABS sensors at the wheels. Once the pulse trains are found/verified to be in spec, the system knows it has the signals it needs to operate the ABS system, and the self-check routine completes.

Yes there's initial diagnostics the computer goes through. I don't have my manual in front of me but as I recall the proper starting procedure was to allow the diagnostics to complete (indicated when the yellow "SET" light comes on) before starting the engine.

firefighter217
Your sales person should have covered this at time of delivery and had you sign a retail delivery form.

Yes?

No?

I bought it used Tallman, ...I guess the seller forgot to explain the start up (I always wait for a self check anyway)... he did however explain the brake failure warning.

The lights serve a purpose.

If someone asks for a ride and you don't want to take them just show them the flashing Brake Failure lights

and ask them if they really want to go.

:grin:

Archived