IGNORED

Odyssey Battery for R1200GS?

CMWingfield

I haven't noticed any traffic on the site that references the use of the Odyssey battery on the R1200GS or R1200RT. I was wondering if anyone is using the Odyssey on their 1200's and if so, what is the number for the one that fits a GS? I got great service from the Odyssey I had on my RT and I had alot of confidence in it. It seemed bulletproof.

Thanks,

Mike

I did some digging and there is no drop-in replacement for the GS as there is for the RT. The RT and GS use different batteries from what I can tell as well.

On the other hand I've had good luck with Yuasa MF batteries, such as the one used in the GS.

Mike,

I don't know what problems or how old your GS battery has/is but, my GS battery was bad as new from day one.

I did alot of searching myself when I grew tired of battery troubles with my GS. I also noticed there wasn't alot of information or availabilty for 05' models of either model. I choose to search for an AGM battery and the best I could do was to try and match up the physical dimensions and CCA to meet the demand.

I then decided to try my luck at the dealer so I discribed to the service manager what was going on with my battery. It would take a charge but not hold it. As little as two days of non use and it wouldn't have enough umph to get it started.

Bottom line is they replaced it with an AGM battery at no charge. clap.gif

This doesn't actually answer your question but I did find it odd they had an AGM battery that had very similar physical dimensions, where as I couldn't find one on line.

Toolman,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not having any problems with my battery. I've had my bike for a little over a month, but I was curious about an Odyssey replacement once a new battery is required, and since I hadn't heard anything on the site, I found that to be a curiousity. I liked my Odyssey on the RT and I know others on the site have appreciated their Odysseys as well. Was the AGM the one from BMW?

Mike

it's a yuasa "MF" type battery which they claim is AGM.

So then the "AGM" label on the side of my battery is not what it indicates to be eek.gif

How's that work dopeslap.gif

Mike...I think I recall reading on the Wunderlich Germany website about a fellow who was doing a major sponsored trip and part of his preparations included fitting an Odyssey battery in his 12GS. It was in one of their featured stories as I recall. So apparently there is one that fits and ups the amp-hours somewhat. Sorry, don't have the link or the Model number. If you are a fan of Odyssey batteries (me too) might be worth a bit more digging. Cheers!

First you say:

I choose to search for an AGM battery and the best I could do was to try and match up the physical dimensions and CCA to meet the demand

Then:

So then the "AGM" label on the side of my battery is not what it indicates to be

How's that work

And I'm confused.

It reads like you went out of your way to replace the stock Yuasa MF-type battery with an AGM battery.

My point simply is that the stock Yuasa battery *IS* AGM.

So if you replaced the stock battery with the same, you got an AGM. And if you replaced it with another AGM battery, you got an AGM.

Archived