IGNORED

GPS mount

Rich06FJR1300

Hi All,

I have a "gadget guy" mount for my GPS 2610...that coupled with the garmin "motorcycle mount". Now this mount isn't al that great (the one supplied by garmin) as the GPS had some freeplay and when i hit a bump the other day it popped out of the mount (and yes, it was fully secured) and fell on the road and broke into a few pieces. Is there any other mounts that can hook up with the gadget guy mount? Trying to find something a little more secure.

thanks,

Rich

yeah i saw that...was hoping to find something less expensive. That darn one supplied by garmin..the unit just pops right out when i hit a large bump...suppose for peace of mind i should just bite the bullet...but 370 bucks!!

What about the touratech one(s) (for 26XX)?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/index.lasso

Then follow the "GPS and Navigation" link at the top...

They have a non-locking ($95/$145) and locking ($115/$165) versions. The second price in the ()s is for the "super-isolated" version of the mount.

I have the same setup (gadget guy + garmin mount). never really trusted it either, but read many things (here) saying basically not to worry... Now I'm worrying again...

never really liked the touratech as it looked like it might mar/scratch the gps with those front tabs...

I did buy the touratech adapter (040-0650) for my R1150RT because I found a good deal, but for now my GPS is still mounted high.

What kind of riding where you doing when it popped out/off? Was it totaled? This is my biggest GPS nightmare. I toyed with the idea of making a leash, but never came up with a good design.

That darn one supplied by garmin..the unit just pops right out when i hit a large bump...

Just checking, since I'm using a Garmin mount and I'm now worried... Did you have the security screw tightened down?

it shouldn't come out with that security screw tightened.... unless it is malfunctioning.

withOUT that screw in place.... the cradle is a piece of crap

it is certainly a step DOWN from the Nav i/spiii mount of old i have on my LT

greg

I think Garmin could have beefed things up quite a bit on that mount... The little tiny sliver of a tab that locks the gps to the mount really does not seem like much...

Bill,

I was riding on the slab/didn't hit anything and the garmin mount popped the back of the gps off. To garmin's credit, they gave me a new one and refunded the $ for the mount. I've used the tt locking for the past 20k with no probs.

I think Garmin could have beefed things up quite a bit on that mount... The little tiny sliver of a tab that locks the gps to the mount really does not seem like much...

Yeah, well - if the mount fails, you have to buy a new GPS. Those folks at Garmin DO know what they're doing...

I've decided to just use the RAM mount for now. Maybe someday I'll pony up for the fancy GadgetGuy or Touratech mount. Maybe not.

G.

yes, had the screw tightened down all the way and it still popped out...i was riding on the twisties...nothing special. This is the second time it happend too so I'm losing confidence in this thing. I like the gadget guy mount (the location) but is there anything else that can mount up to his base plate? I know i could also use that standard mount that garmin supplies with the unit (for the beanbag weight) and that has a lockable tab but still, that one doesn't look great either. I really don't want to shell out 370 bucks for that other one, but that would be the way to go other than changing the location of it (closer to the handlebars).

wait a minute....i'm not sure of this but does the base plate on the gadget mount...that bar..is it 1/2"? Could possibly mount the touratech mount right on the cross bar and remove gadgetguy's base plate and use this instead. If that works its a cheaper alternative than using his aluminum "box" (that 370 dollar overkill)

i have to check on the diameter of that bar.

That's what I was thinking of doing...

I have the GG "Bracket Kit IV" & GG "Base Plate II". The base plate uses 1/2" diameter crossbar, which is what the Touratech 040-0650 mount adapter provides...

So I plan to move my base plate from the GG bracket down to the Touratech adapter (already installed).

This still uses the Garmin mount, but a $95 Touratech mount for the 2610 may also be in my future... More secure...

I still needed the power cables, which came with the Garmin mount (and at the time the price for Garmin mount kit from Amazon was less than just the power cbale alone, so nothing really lost there).

Links:

http://www.gadgetguy.net/Catalog/Page04/Page4_KitIV.html

http://www.gadgetguy.net/Catalog/Page10/Page10_BasePlateII.html

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/search...72787F726F2BA1A

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/naviga...72787F726F2BA1A

If you are talking about the friction wheel on the bottom of the GPS itself, you don't. That stays in place and all of the mounts I have seen accomodate it. There are several other cradles out there that offer better mounting solutions, but you lose the extra buttons. I have yet to have a real need for the extra buttons, but I have thought about cutting that portion of the cradle off cleanly and expoxying it to another mount.

Archived