IGNORED

Heated Stock Seat.........Is It Worth Ordering???

Motors

Ok, thinking of ordering the heated stock seat. That might be a distinct disadvantage if I ever wanted to go to a custom saddle.

Any thoughts either way???

Thanks,

Motors

Very nice to have in the winter. If you are ordering a new bike, I'd recommend getting the heated seat and it will have the controls integrated on the bars. If you ever have a custom seat made, they can use the same heating pad and put it on/in the custom seat.

I bought my 09 RT with the heated seat and grips. It was included in the third option package that was available here in Canada.

I never had a heated seat on a bike before. After riding this May in some cold temperatures, the heated seat felt nice. You add a heated vest and heated grips with the heated seat, it keeps you nice and warm.

Of all the three that I listed above, the vest and grips would be my top two choices, with the seat as the third choice.

I had heated grips and heated seats on my RT. I doubt I would get them again. Heated grips are great, they make your palms warm, the part of your hand that is most protected. The tops of your fingers are freezing, but the bottoms and your palms are toasty.

Same deal for the heated seats. Nothing like freezing to death with the comfort of a warm butt. I think it's a total gimmick.

Spend the money on a heated liner for your jacket, pants, and heated gloves. You'll be uniformly comfortable, and you can use it on bike you own or buy in the future.

I'm glad I have heated seats and grips. Compared to the overall price of a new bike the cost is peanuts. How useful the heated seat is depends on where you live and where you plan to ride. I have rarely used it around home, but at higher elevations in the mountains early in the morning it's been a great addition. As we used to say in the army, any fool can be uncomfortable.

I used to think a heated seat was just a farkle, but no more. Several extended rides in very cold weather have shown me that your body temperature starts dropping, to the point where we are not talking comfort but whether the lower half of your body operates correctly and at full speed. The heated seat seems to help this, or at least delay it.

Trying to judge this against a custom seat seems to mix issues...my stock seat is not especially comfortable for long rides, but at least the buzz for some custom seats says they eliminate that issue.

Maybe there is a custom seat which will accept a heater. Someone can comment if they know.

Heated seats are great, even in Southern California. I had Corbin put heaters in the new seats I had them make for me.

Have the stock ones with heaters that I would sell. Send me a direct message if you are interested.

Blake

I've got heated seats on my '08 and as others have said, they're OK, but they're not the "bang for the buck" that say heated grips are... IMHO, your overall comfort level would be WAY higher if you spent the money on getting a Gerbings jacket/gloves and dual controller.

Ok, thinking of ordering the heated stock seat. That might be a distinct disadvantage if I ever wanted to go to a custom saddle.

Not really a disadvantage if you go to a heated custom saddle as you'll have the nice stock integrated handlebar controls to use. Not sure if that alone is worth the cost of the factory system though.

When I bought my R1200rt the saleman said ......... do you want the heated seat? I said, "jeeze you must be kidding," and my wife just nodded yes. I have a heated seat.

And.......... I have used it. (she uses it all the time.)

The heated stock seat on my '09 RT gives me a nice warm, toasty buttache, yet the GF finds it quite comfortable.

I'd say that if you like the stock seat, you'll love the heated version.

Archived