IGNORED

Throttle Body Sync Manometer

Eric S

I scoured every thread I could that contained information about building a manometer. I think I got lucky, because what I ended up with worked great. I used ATF fluid and picked up some nylon tubing from Menards. It was spec'd at 1/4" OD and 0.17" ID. The tubing fit perfectly on the nubbin thing on my 98 R1100RT with no adapter needed. This is not the clear vinyl tubing, but the white translucent stuff. You'd probably find this exact tubing at any home improvement store.

Hope this info helps someone trying to do the same.

Built one last night. I bought extra long hose. It was a mistake, one layed on the exhaust and melted. I cut em shorter. It does work well. I too used ATF.

David :)

I drilled 2 holes through the board top and bottom. I laced the hosed through the holes. 2 in the bottom like a shoe lace and two in the top for an exit.

Be sure to hook the right hose to the right intake......

Mine looks like the one above except not as neat. ATF doesn't bounce around as much and water and is much easier to see.

David :)

Sorry If I appear dim but...

The size of the clear tubing required to fit my Aussie model of my R1150RT presents two problems.

1. I can't find tubing that small.

2. How would you get the liquid into such tiny tubing?

I'd have built a manometer *long* before now if I could figure that out.

And, before I lose my mind completely, what's ATF fluid? At the moment (here) it's WTF fluid...

Linz :)

To get the trans fluid into the tubing, stick one end of the tube in the bottle of transmission fluid, then SUCK (on the other end of course). I was hoping someone didn't come into the garage while I was doing that.

My tubing is about 1/4" outside diameter, and about 1/8" (probably a bit smaller) inside diameter. It stretches over the nipple (insert your joke here). You can find such tubing at an aquarium supply/fish/pet shop. It's used as air tubing on aquariums.

I used a tiny funnel to get the oil in, that came with a model steam engine that I've had since I was about 10 years old. Any small funnel and some duct tape will probably do. In my case, because I used 2-stroke oil, I had to hang the hose and let it drain overnight to get it all down where it should be.

Sorry If I appear dim but...

The size of the clear tubing required to fit my Aussie model of my R1150RT presents two problems.

1. I can't find tubing that small.

2. How would you get the liquid into such tiny tubing?

I'd have built a manometer *long* before now if I could figure that out.

And, before I lose my mind completely, what's ATF fluid? At the moment (here) it's WTF fluid...

What size is the vac port on you throttle body? Maybe one of us can find some for you.

When I built mine I used the small tubing to go from the TB to the board and on the board I used tubing with an inside diameter the same as the outside diameter of the small tube. This makes it easier to put ATF in it it also adds volume to dampen the oscillations. You just need to make sure you keep the tubing lengths the same.

In my TwinMax kit, I was supplied with two 1" long pieces of clear tubing. I have to fit that over the vac ports and then slip the black TwinMax tubing over those for a snug fit. I guess the internal measurement of the clear tubing would be around an 1/8th. I'd need to measure it.

The fish-tank tubing here in common use would be too large.

The Australian model doesn't have the charcoal canister so I'm thinking that we have very tiny vacumn ports.

Thanks for the responses.

Canadian models don't have the canister either, so my ports are probably the same as yours. Hardware stores up here stock clear tubing in a variety of sizes. It's usually in the plumbing section. It's sometimes used for water supply line for ice makers in refrigerators.

Put some photos on photobucket and here they are.

Hope they help. Fluid is ATF. Tubing could be a bit small however as very slow movement was detected.

BTW, the length of tubing on each side is about 5 metres.The lines are 1" apart.

Manometer003.jpg

Manometer004.jpg

Manometer005.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Forgot to mention that i filled the tubing using a syringe. Pumped in at one end and then used the syringe to push air and ATF to the final destination.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, the OD looks to be about 4mm. So, after you'd made it and done a TB balance, was it much better this way?

You mention that the fluid was slow moving. I imagine that's when you were adjusting the BBS? So there's a lag?

Do you have a brand and exact size for the tubing please? I'll order some tomorrow if I know exactly what the right stuff is.

Thanks for the pix.

I will have a look later today or if i am passing Purple Pig i will get details.

BTW, i had to heat the end of the tubing to soften it so it would fit on the nipples.

There was a slight lag when adjusting but the fluid moved nicely, not jumping all over the place.

It has been suggested(on another thread) that the tubing should be slightly larger so it would show more movement and and less dampening effect. I will find and post back.

Edit - Found it

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=465786&page=1

Cheers

Steve

Linz

I also used 3/16 clear tubing from my local hardware shop (both bunnings and clark rubber stock it - pick the cheapest stuff cos it doesnt matter) need at least 5 metres. I found that the internal diameter was to big but that the black rubber irrigation drip line ~4mm (from any garden place) fits inside the clear tube nice and snug (went in about 5cm) and fits over the nipple nice and tight - so I cut off about two lengths of 10cm from the garden and used it in the end of the clear tube. Works a treat. Actually acts as a sort of resistor and makes the balancing easier - not as big/quick variations. I used some left over red oil/additive - it doesnt seem to matter what you use as long as its a bit heavier than water - nice colour so you can see it easy - and is not toxic to humans or bike.

Linz

You mention you have a TwinMax....are you wanting to double up or cross check ?

I also have a twinMax but I am rather fascinated by the tube/ATF method, it's affordable to have a go. The pic's are fantastic.

Yes, I have a TwinMax but I feel that the manometer would be a good cross check, and possibly more accurate.

I enjoy working on my bikes when required but hate the tupperware removal and installation. I want to get it perfect when I make the effort to service the bike as I don't enjoy doing stuff twice.

An incorrectly installed spark plug donut which hurled oil everywhere on a test ride made me wary of not getting it right the first time.

This weekend is manometer weekend as the forecast is for wet weather.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Archived