IGNORED

Best Repair Manual

theotherpink

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and new to BMW but not new to riding. I just bought a K1200RT and though I'm sure it has been asked a hundred times here ... What is the best repair manual for this bike and where can I find it most reasonably priced?

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and new to BMW but not new to riding. I just bought a K1200 RT and though I'm sure it has been asked a hundred times here ... What is the best repair manual for this bike and where can I find it most reasonably priced?

No you didn't.

Try again.

Welcome.

Man, you folks are tough ... Like I said I'm new to BMW but not new to riding and no one gave me any crap on my cruiser when I rode with a bunch of ya on several occasions. In fact some of ya took pictures of me 'cause I was such an oddity amongst you folks I suppose and now your stuck with me so the jokes on you.

It's a 2008 K1200GT Silver with 1592 miles, ABS, ESA, GPS, etc, etc, etc. You BMW folks have a lot more accessaries than chrome but it didn't scare me away. Nope! This bike replaces my 03 Honda Sabre that had 118,890 miles on it when I crashed into a jeep on June 21st of this year. I'm still too injured from that crash to ride but when I do this is the one I'll be riding.

Now I've ridden the cruisers all my life so this is a pretty big change for me and I'll most likely need to learn to ride all over again but that's half the fun.

Now do you folks think you can be a bit kinder and let out a small piece of information on where I can find a good repair manual?

We were being kind.

:grin:

BMW makes a disk, but it is geared towards a BMW tech background and is expensive.

Other than that I don't know of one out there.

Clymer doesn't cover the transverse 4's.

You can check w/your local dealer or search on-line for the BMW version.

If someone knows of another source of info in manual form I'm sure they'll chime in now that you've specified your need.

With the earlier K's there are several choices and websites and that is why I wanted to know what year.

Best wishes.

There is some good info over on K-Bikes.com. It can get a bit confusing, the original (and better looking :) ) K1200GT was a completely different animal than the bike you have. Enjoy the new bike, hope you're back on the road soon.

Thanks,

I did a search and it seems to give me garble. Nothinhg easy.

I'm surprised there isn't something out there geared toward someone that takes care of their own. I have a full warranty plus the extended but it's good to know when your by yourself on a back road 50 miles from nowhere without cell reception and its 105 in the shade. I'll keep looking and if it's expensive then expensive is better than stuck. Hmmmm .... thinkin' about it isn't everything on a BMW expensive? Thanks Again

Thanks ... That's a good piece of information for a newby to BMW. I had no idea the older K1200GT's would have huge differences. I'll check K-bikes.com out.

For anyone else that is interested ... at this point I have found a Clymer Repair Manual for up to 2005. It seems 2006 to 2008 K1200GT ... the transverse mounted four-cylinder engine ... does not have a manual. A cd is available for $120 but it comes lowly recommended as it seems it may be somewhat incomplete. Some even go so far as to say "it stinks" but I couldn't say absolutely as I have not looked at it.

I got the BMW cd, it is similar in content and construction and format as the boxer was.

It walked me easily thru removing the plastic, and dropping the rear drive and rear fluid change.

Also walks thru the oil change.

Important note there is a specific 1300 CD (currently on back order) so make sure you get the right one if you plan to get it.

By the way the rear drive service for the 1300 is different than for the 1200 DAMHIK !! :rofl:

Even though I inadvertently got the wrong year it is still useful - to me

Semper fi,

Those procedures have been documented here, w/pics.

A search should lead to them.

I don't recommend the BMW disk right now as I implied earlier.

If someone wants to get the disk, no problems and it can be helpful, but it isn't like having a paper manual geared towards the average mechanic.

Best wishes to all.

Archived