IGNORED

2-up.... 2 down... no damage

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

So it happens to the best...... *cough* .... *grin*...

Nina and I, or in this case I and Nina, went down in a switchback (hairpin, U-turn, whatever) on our way down the Italian side of the Splugen Pass the other day.

My first line is meant tongue-in-cheek. I am not an experienced rider like some of you here. On the other hand, I think I can beat most when it comes to years/miles of driving Alpine roads.

No matter, it doesn't make a difference when you make an error!

Here's the tale....

I decide to do the Splugen Pass north-to-south to get us from Switzerland into Italy and see one we didn't do yet. It is the pass wth the ice picture one finds often on the Internet (see my ride tale).

It was classified as medium difficult in the book I have, and sure enough, going up was not too hard especially with low traffic. Going down the Italian side wasn't anything special either... I've done more difficult roads in my time.

But then, after a village, we got onto a very 'special' sort of road, where the switchbacks were not bends anymore but just the road going DOWN and 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

So the standard switchback technique had to be applied (go to the opposite side of the road for right-handers, then steer into the inner side of the switchback and try to stay on the right side of the road coming out. Didn't work on every turn..... they were THAT narrow!

Still no problem, not even when we met such a switchback INSIDE a dark tunnel!

But then there was this Fiat coming UP... I saw it out of the corner of my eye just when I veered left to make room for my turn.

Because of it, I didn't finish my way out, afraid of meeting the car head-on in the middle of the turn.

That made the turn shorter.... I was a tad too fast, had to brake... and the thing stalled....... BUMP !!!!

I made an elegant judo roll down the inside of the hairpin..... Nina just stepped off the bike.. and the Fiat driver almost hit the rock because he was looking at us in amazement.... :rofl:

No damage at all, not to bike, not to Nina (so glad!!!) and not to me (except, of course, for a brief moment to my ego).

The driver helped us get the bike back up, then said I should ave taken the 'other' road (that much I understood).

But... WHAT other road?????

I only found out after returning home a few days later that indeed there is another road, with less hairy hairpins..... but my Zumo didn't seem to care!

What did I do wrong ??

- I should have grabbed the clutch and do the sharp turn (at a very steep angle downwards) unpowered ! Instead I used the 'default technique' of 1st gear and brake that works fine in 99% of all cases.

Other things that went wrong, but could not be helped in any way

- wrong road, but Mapsource would not have shown it anyway

- could not see the car coming sooner

- maybe should have gambled and stayed left longer, but upcoming traffic DOES have priority

- should have taken a lighter bike without pillion..... FORGET IT ! :grin:

Alright, so now I have dropped the ruddy thing twice in 6 weeks, on both sides ... lets see what happens in England next week, eh?

First off, soooooo glad everything worked out well.

To jump in, in situations of slow speed, and tight quarters requiring maneuvering I would utilize the back brake much more than the front.

The front brake will tend to be abrupt and unsettling to the bike whereas the rear will tend to be effective and actually stabilizing to the bike.

Only other thing is to practice counter-balancing. Shift slightly to the outside of the turn with your weight and allow the bike to lean more. Nina would remain with the bike's lean and also remain as a "sack of potatoes" so she doesn't induce any input to the bike.

Jamie and I really need to get out there to see you guys so you can show us around!!!!

Francois_Dumas
First off, soooooo glad everything worked out well.

To jump in, in situations of slow speed, and tight quarters requiring maneuvering I would utilize the back brake much more than the front.

The front brake will tend to be abrupt and unsettling to the bike whereas the rear will tend to be effective and actually stabilizing to the bike.

Only other thing is to practice counter-balancing. Shift slightly to the outside of the turn with your weight and allow the bike to lean more. Nina would remain with the bike's lean and also remain as a "sack of potatoes" so she doesn't induce any input to the bike.

I know, I do, and usually works.... except for this one time :grin:

Jamie and I really need to get out there to see you guys so you can show us around!!!!

Please DO ! Have bike, will travel...... :)

As I thought about it, I was struck by one comment in your ride tale... It was cold enough that you didn't stop up on the pass. Cold tends to make the rider tight, the suspension tight and the brakes a bit grabby. Especially if you had several layers of clothes on. It may have caused you to hurry to lower altitudes. Do you think it was one more factor?

Francois_Dumas

Good thought Jan. I wasn't cold myself, but Nina was and so I maybe was a bit more rushed to get down..... although I am usually not one to let myself be pushed. Subconscious often is more dangerous than conscious, though, indeed.

I've only ridden Alpine switchbacks the one time this summer - maybe 2000 miles over 8 days. So, I'm no expert on switchbacks, but the technique I used on downhills was a combination of throttle input & varying clutch friction zone (to increase speed) and dragging rear brake to decrease speed. This is the same technique I use in the MSF slow speed turns.

If it's any consolation, one of our Edelweiss group dropped his F800GS (solo) in a similar unlit tunnel switchback -- if I recall it was also in Italy.

Francois,

Very glad this was a learning experience and not worse.

Around here when dealing with Alpine elevationd, cold weather, switchbacks, and oncoming traffic

I change the channel on the TV.

:/

:wave:

Happy you folks are just fine! Let's face it, you chose to mitigate the risks you discussed by going as slowly as you were. That's why no one was hurt. So, good job on that account!

Paul In Australia

Hi Francois

I presume that stopping completely, when you first saw the car coming before the turn commenced, was not an option.

I got caught the same way on my 1100rt a few years ago, and I should have taken the option of stopping and allowing the car to pass on the straight before the turn. But that wasn't in as steep an incline as you had.

By the way great photos

best regards

PCH

No damage to you, Nina or the bike... no pictures... hmmm...

pay off the driver of the fiat and it never happened... ie... no witnesses what-so-ever...

Great ride, story and pictures... glad you folks are ok... and if you are expecting any advice about that fall, I can guarantee you I have none... I suspect I would have either been a hood ornament or used the fiat as a spring board for an Evel Knievel impersonation... )))

Regards -

-Bob

The 04RT has linked brakes so I don't believe utilizing the back brake is an option on Francois's RT. At least on my 04 RT it isn't an option. Or were you riding a different bike?

Francois_Dumas

Linked brakes indeed...... but I think I might have saved it if I had squeezed just a tad less energetic.

As for stopping and let the Fiat come up first, yes, I would have. But I couldn't see him when I was descending on the right side of the road...... the height difference is so big that he was pretty deep down below us at that time.

Once I veered to the left side of the road, I couldn't look down anymore..... then when I looked into the direction I wanted to go, he was suddenly there.

He was ging pretty quick, too, I might add ;-)

Hello Francois.....delighted to hear you are ok. I rode this road back in May after I asked for advice on this forum on where to visit in this area. I really appreciated your advice. I travelled from the Italian side to the Swiss side. I'll never forget the ascent up the Pass. It's very difficult to describe just how sharp, narrow and steep the turns are......and then inside the dark, wet tunnels. Certainly wouldn't have liked to have pillion. Hairy stuff.......but well worth it to see the scenery towards the top.

Again, great to hear you survived without any damage. I turned on my video up at the lake which was frozen in may. You may be interested in looking at it on my youtube channel...rtrider1200.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rtrider1200

Regards,

Nice road, but those are some switchbacks allright. I think I've been on a few goat trails that were wider. Good thing you guys are OK Francois, and you are right it does happen to the best of us, I've dropped mine getting out of my own driveway.

Francois_Dumas

I think THIS THIS is the link to the video ?

I am surprised the pass was open already...... it was cold in September, certainly looked cold then ! :)

I think next time I too want to do it on a GS and without a pillion ;)

LOL, not really, Nina wouldn't let me..... she wants to come !

Thanks for the nice video !

Sorry about that.....sent u link to my youtube channel, rather than the specific video.

Road shown in video is like motorway in comparison to down lower. I really was totally gobsmacked as to how narrow and sharp they were. Without doubt best day's riding I've ever had....540km passing through 5 countries. Brilliant.

And yes.....the rented GS was very suited to the roads....even better than my RT1200 at home.

Archived