IGNORED

Wha't the difference between BMW riders and Harely riders?

FLrider

I was having lunch with a fishing buddy of mine. In addition to our common interests in fishing we are also motorcycle enthusiasts. Interestingly enough, we both own(ed) both BMW and Harley-Davidson's. He still owns four or five classic BMW’s, a couple of Guzzi’s and a couple of Harleys.

Anyway, he was telling me about his recent ride to the national BMW rally and drawing comparisons to the Harley Davidson rallies he's attended in various parts of the country.

Mind you, he has been attending both “brand” rallies for many years. I, on the other hand, am new to the BMW thing and have never been to a BMW rally. I have been to more Harley rallies than I care to admit.

It's not so much his lament that I was contemplating but rather why it is, what it is. Essentially his conclusion was that BMW rallies are staid and boring in comparison. That attendees of BMW rallies seem to be more withdrawn and quiet. There are no parties that would rival those at the Iron Horse for example. The BMW women are generally older and much more inhibited. (If you’ve ever been to an HD rally is Sturgis or Daytona Beach, you know what I mean).

Now I can tell you that Harley rallies are on the wild side. Can’t speak to the BMW rallies.

So, at first I thought well; maybe it’s a socio economic thing? Maybe BMW riders are better educated or financially more successful. Maybe BMW owners generally are a little older and as a result have outgrown the heavy partying. Maybe Harley types are just trailer trash.

The more I thought about it however, the more I concluded that those premises were not necessarily true. While many Harley owners are not particularly affluent or well educated, many more are. I am not talking about the typical 1%’ er here. I’m talking about the guy who plops down 25K + for a customized cruiser. The Dr.’s and other professionals who ride Harelys and get wild in Panama City. Girls, good looking girls, truly gone wild.

So what is it? What is it about the makeup of the “BMW” person that differentiates them from the Harley person?

I have noticed a difference just in the short time I’ve been “communicating” with BMW guys and observing BMW site posts and chatter. No offense but I don’t think I’ve ever encountered people who, as a group, seem to share common characteristics as to “details” and “technicalities” or said less politely, so anal.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining! I find that, the older I get, the more rigid I become in my beliefs and opinions. And, I certainly don’t want to bring the wrath of the BMW worshipers down on me but I just found his statements observations to be very interesting and maybe even a little accurate. Since I no longer own any Harleys and now riding a Beemer, I guess he thinks I’m boring and reserved.

Just wondering? Be interested in hearing your take. Why the differences? Is it a faulty premise? Are there really no differences?

Maybe I shouldn’t have had that last drink….

Don't lynch me. This may be the last time I get philosophical about any subject ever again.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

If I had the answer to that age old question, I'd be a rich man. I've heard stories about those Harley rallies, though. Someday maybe I'll have to go to one to see what they're all about.

The party for the BMW rider at a rally is getting up at 6 a.m., heading out on the bike by 8 a.m., riding great roads at a spirited pace, stopping for lunch, returning to great roads until dinner. Then a brew or two after the bike is put away for the evening, some story swapping, then early to bed so the next day can be a repeat.

The party for the Harley rider at a Harley rally happens with the kickstand down for most of the day.

Which one of these is "boring" depends on ones perspective.

My midnight is about 9:00 pm these days. About the time the Harley folks are kicking up their heels, I'm taking off my shoes for bed. But, since I hang around on occasion with Harley people (you might notice I didn't say riders), looks to me this demographic group is getting a bit long in the tooth as well. Eventually, we'll all be too tired. The only difference I see is that we'll be too tired from riding and the Harley owners will be too tired from carousing.

Bruce

No offense but I don’t think I’ve ever encountered people who, as a group, seem to share common characteristics as to “details” and “technicalities” or said less politely, so anal.

you forgot suspenders & pocket protectors

There's truth in what Rich said for sure.

I guess the big difference for me as a cruiser guy who "grew up" as a rider by discovering the sport touring "lifestyle" I would have to say if you go to a rally to get your kicks looking for boobs and beers and being somebody you wouldn't dare be at home, you're not going to enjoy a BMW get together by and large.

If you're going to meet some people, ride someplace different and enjoy the company AND the surroundings then one of our get togethers may be just your speed. YMMV

Introverts and extroverts. Most folks I know on Beemers ride them because they work well for what the want to do, and could not care less what anyone else thinks of their bike.

The Harley folks I know tend to be concerned with how the bike looks, and what some attention from others, for their appearance and their bike's good looks.

These are very general statements, with many exceptions. A few Beemer riders I have come across have a "Look at me" streak, and I occasionally have met HD guys and gals that seem to really roll up the miles.

Thankfully, we all have choice, and can have both, if we see the need.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The party for the Harley rider at a Harley rally happens with the kickstand down for most of the day.

Which one of these is "boring" depends on ones perspective.

At the Gunnison Unrally in '02, the Hell's Angels advance group arrived while we were in town, with some of them staying in the same hotel(s) as some of the BMWRT.com riders. Naturally there was some conversation between the two groups, and I recall hearing that one of the HA guys stated the difference thusly:

"We [HA's] ride thousands of miles to spend a few days hanging around with old friends. You [bMWRT'ers] ride thousands of miles to spend a few days riding."

That defines two archetypes from which exceptions can always be found, but on the whole it seems to be fairly accurate.

Some folks are born to be "BMW riders" and it has nothing to do with age, or even the brand of bike you ride. Ditto the party-hardy crowd.

For as long as I can recall, I've always preferred to be doing something active, and despised the herd-mentality crowd scene. (ie - spring break, big weekends at the river, etc.)

That is - I despise the (perceived lack of) activity, not the participants.

I'm sure that some on the other side of the equation can't imagine how I could possibly be having a good time off riding (jet-ski, quad, bicycle, motorbike, etc) instead of consuming fermented fluids and 'hanging with the peeps.'

Heck - back when I was still able to get to Torrey, my best friend would tell me he couldn't grasp why I would ride 700 miles each way, "just to go RIDE all weekend."

OTOH - he's a Yama-Harley "biker" and WOULD drive for days to go do the Sturgis "drink and watch the freak show" thing. He thinks hanging out all weekend with a beer in hand, eyeballing the chrome (and overstuffed tanktops) is just great. I'd go insane.

I seem to find that more "riders" share my preferences than do the "bikers." And it seems too, that there are more riders than bikers who happen to own BMWs, and the converse tends to describe Harley owners. The asian brands display the same range of (rider to biker) mentality, but don't define the spectrum quite as clearly along brand lines.

Some folks are born to be "BMW riders" and it has nothing to do with age, or even the brand of bike you ride. Ditto the party-hardy crowd.

For as long as I can recall, I've always preferred to be doing something active, and despised the herd-mentality crowd scene. (ie - spring break, big weekends at the river, etc.)

That is - I despise the (perceived lack of) activity, not the participants.

I'm sure that some on the other side of the equation can't imagine how I could possibly be having a good time off riding (jet-ski, quad, bicycle, motorbike, etc) instead of consuming fermented fluids and 'hanging with the peeps.'

Heck - back when I was still able to get to Torrey, my best friend would tell me he couldn't grasp why I would ride 700 miles each way, "just to go RIDE all weekend."

OTOH - he's a Yama-Harley "biker" and WOULD drive for days to go do the Sturgis "drink and watch the freak show" thing. He thinks hanging out all weekend with a beer in hand, eyeballing the chrome (and overstuffed tanktops) is just great. I'd go insane.

I seem to find that more "riders" share my preferences than do the "bikers." And it seems too, that there are more riders than bikers who happen to own BMWs, and the converse tends to describe Harley owners. The asian brands display the same range of (rider to biker) mentality, but don't define the spectrum quite as clearly along brand lines.

I can relate to this.

With no offense to the OP, there's a thread here with the following subject line:

34 years of marriage coming to an end

The hard core HD riders who I've come to know over the years would likely post a subject line something more like this given a similar circumstance and I doubt there'd be much else in the body of the posting:

Anyone know where I can get laid?

Of course, I'd expect no less from most of the folks who post up to the ADVrider.net forum... but I think you get my gist. While there are a lot of bike owners who clearly subscribe to the stereotpes, there are as many different types of folks who ride HDs as there are BMWs where it's anyone's guess why those who don't truly fit the core stereotypes ride what they ride and what they're looking for.

One has an image to live up to.

The other has a legend to live up to.

Which is which is up to you, but neither is better than the other.

"We [HA's] ride thousands of miles to spend a few days hanging around with old friends. You [bMWRT'ers] ride thousands of miles to spend a few days riding."

That's a very astute observation. Buy that man a beer.

One has an image to live up to.

The other has a legend to live up to.

I think this just about covers it.

My observation of this discussion is a 'Harley' rider's best times are off the bike with friends. A 'BMW' rider's best times are on the bike with friends. I'm very fond of my BMW because I can cruise when I want to, not because I have too! :grin:

Wha't the difference between BMW riders and Harely riders?

Oh, let me guess. One group can spell? Well, you did say detail oriented. :grin:

Disappointing to see the stereotype being fed. ;)

Actual story: In my first stint of working for Rockville Harley Davidson/Battley Cycles, a HD and BMW dealer, we had a young technician called YT for Young Tom. His dad was OT - that was for Officer Tom, a active Harley riding police officer who also had a HD for his private use. We had a Christmas party at OT's home. There OT's dad/YT's grandfather comes to me and with a smile asks me so everybody can hear it: Paul, you know both, what is a better bike, Harley Davidson or BMW? I: Well, one is better to look at and one is better to ride. Some smiles, some laughs. A little later OT comes to me and quietly says: Paul, I ride my Harley! I: OT, I didn't say which one is which...

I find this sort of question kind of interesting. I'm a Cordura and gadget-loving sort of guy, and I've always been drawn to BMWs, for reasons I can't fully articulate. I appreciate Harleys and I think some of them are stunning, but I just don't "get" it. I know a lot of H-D riders seem the same way about us (and, yes, I know a lot of folks cross brands . . . this is all a gross oversimplification).

I've come to the conclusion that it's a combination of two factors--first, becoming a member of either "club" is a self-selecting thing. When you make that initial choice, there is something about it that appeals to you for whatever reason--maybe it's becaue you saw something that impressed you when you were two years old, maybe you admired someone who rode the brand you select, or maybe you've just been wired that way from the day you were conceived.

Once you've selected your club, you begin to assimilate the appearance, attitudes and values of the crowd you selected. Hence, a large part of the reason that acronyms like "ATGATT" become significant to BMW riders, but are generally meaningless to the H-D crowd. Why we get our panties all in a wad over loud pipes, but Harley guys say "That kicks ass, man."

Ultimately, we're all lemmings, though highly independent-thinking lemmings. There's enough room on the Earth for all of us, and I think the contrast is kind of fun. It's cool to be able to sit down and have a beer with one of "them" and laugh about it: "Waiter, I'll have a Castelain St. Amand . . . and a Bud Lite for my pal."

I bought my used '04 RT without knowing that I was joining a cult. My logical requirements was a neutral sitting position like my old '73 Yamamha 650, big enough to enjoy on trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway, small enough to handle in parking lots and local errands. I also felt that motorcycle technology shoud have improved since the sixties. Having a gas gauge and gear indicater were frosting on the cake.

I knew that I was older, more brittle, and hopefully more rational so when I saw that everyone at the dealer was coming in with textile outfits and full face helments, it just seemed the way to go. Didn't really think that I was flashing my cult colors, but I was. I'd bought into the whole package without being aware of my lemming status. Oh well, it's a good image to have and quit practical.

I think you'd be more accepted by peers if you were wearing hi-vis textile at a Harley rally than if you were wearing a dew rag, leather vest and chaps at a BMW rally. Harley riders seem to have a wider range of acceptence.

Very interesting question....

Looking around the net I noticed something a little different I have not paid any attention to until this question the OP popped up with....

The BMWMOA Rally is a brand specific Rally by title...BMW

The Honda Hoot is a brand specific Rally by title....Honda

and there are others also by title...

I could not locate a Harley Davidson brand specific national motorcyle Rally by title....on the net...

Harley Davidson.. on the company web site only lists...Daytona Bike Week....Sturgis and Laconia....non of which say Harley Davidson Motorcycle Rally....

Even though these are "accepted" Harley type rallys they do not say Harley in the rally title as others do.

So in my mind it boils down to this....It's not the brand of motorcycle....It's the TYPE of rally you wish to attend.

You choose....

Your question is about the difference in "riders" yet your post is basically asking about what happens when you're not riding.

Now if you had asked about "owners", maybe that would fit your post better.

You don't mention alcohol, but you do mentions "inhibitions" or the lack of them.

Personal behavior, on the bike and off of it, may be an indication of the marque you own, or it might not.

If your interest is in uninhibited consumption of alcohol, the riding and partying, you may have come to the wrong place.

If your interest is in riding, and hanging out w/intelligent, and beautiful women, you may have come to the right place.

I find some rider's try to live up to a perception of behavior and irresponsibility. They demonstrate it in many ways.

I find others who accept personal responsibility in their approach to the sport of motorcycling.

There are owners of both marques in both camps.

Think of cars when comparing HD with BMW owners.

HD is loud, chrome, leather, in your face machismo..like a Corvette

BMW is quiet, efficient, practical, with owners comfortable with their sexuality..like a sports sedan...BMW M series perhaps?

"HD is loud, chrome, leather, in your face machismo..like a Corvette"

A Corvette has performance, a HD doesn't. In my mind I think of HDs mor like a fancy pickup truck, but without the practicality. Don't take it as HD bashing, it's just how I feel - and I'm surraounded by them. :grin:

Very interesting question....

Looking around the net I noticed something a little different I have not paid any attention to until this question the OP popped up with....

The BMWMOA Rally is a brand specific Rally by title...BMW

The Honda Hoot is a brand specific Rally by title....Honda

and there are others also by title...

I could not locate a Harley Davidson brand specific national motorcyle Rally by title....on the net...

Harley Davidson.. on the company web site only lists...Daytona Bike Week....Sturgis and Laconia....non of which say Harley Davidson Motorcycle Rally....

Even though these are "accepted" Harley type rallys they do not say Harley in the rally title as others do.

So in my mind it boils down to this....It's not the brand of motorcycle....It's the TYPE of rally you wish to attend.

You choose....

I'm surrounded by HD guys, so it's easy to know when they have their events.

The Harley Owners Group (H.O.G.) announced it has selected Oklahoma City as the host of the 2009 CLUB H.O.G. OKC, an annual gathering for H.O.G. members worldwide. The event will be held June 26-27, 2009, at the Oklahoma State Fair Park in Oklahoma City.

Like most of us here, I am quite comfortable in either crowd. I love to ride my BMW to New Hampshire Bike Week and hang out on Weirs Beach on a Friday or Saturday night. That's basically ground zero for all kinds of wild behavior!

But I also enjoy it when, in the middle of New Hampshire Bike Week, someone expresses thankful sentiments when they say to me, "Wow, your motorcycle is so quiet!" I always reply, "even some motorcyclists hate loud bikes as much as you do" :thumbsup: And I always wear my gear when I ride, I don't care how I look with respect to the other motorcyclists.

At the end of the day, however, I love all bikes, all makes, all models -- just some more than others. And when I ride in the rain or in the freezing cold, I typically see only 2 makes of motorcycles in my travels -- Harley Davidsons and BMW's. So I think we share more in common than we might initially realize.

T shirt seen in Johnson City:

"Harley Riders know that they show,

BMW Riders show that they know."

I think the respective companies set the tone for their target audience. Just look at the accessory catalogs for each.

BMW sells mainly creature comfort, functional stuff, no chrome.

Harley is all about chrome, custom paint, etc.

Having owned and ridden Harleys for a third of my 30 yrs of riding life, I loved em, still do. During that time I always percieved BMW owners as Riders. Rarely saw a used low mileage Beemer, on the flip side, low mileage Harleys are everywhere. The bigest problem with an answer is trying to nail down an accurate cross section of each. Harley nation is HUGE and Beemer nation, not so much. For me, I'm a rider more than an owner and I ride the bike that puts a smile on MY face, whatever the brand. Currently an 1200RT, next year, who knows.

Think of cars when comparing HD with BMW owners.

HD is loud, chrome, leather, in your face machismo..like a Corvette

BMW is quiet, efficient, practical, with owners comfortable with their sexuality..like a sports sedan...BMW M series perhaps?

So, how would you compare a Caddy CTS-V to an M5?

Just askin'.

Nice n Easy Rider
"HD is loud, chrome, leather, in your face machismo..like a Corvette"

A Corvette has performance, a HD doesn't. In my mind I think of HDs mor like a fancy pickup truck, but without the practicality. Don't take it as HD bashing, it's just how I feel - and I'm surraounded by them. :grin:

+1. Say what you will about Corvettes. They still put up great numbers on the skid pads. If I had the money I'd love to have a Callaway Corvette in my garage.

I wasn't equating the performance of a Corvette with that of a Harley Davidson. I meant the image conveyed by both vehicles is similar. Corvette owner's represent a certain kind of stereotype. The thought of an older male, divorced, midlife crisis, poor self-image, libido problems comes to mind. Persons who are attracted to leather, tattoos, facial hair, chrome, loud, beanie helmets and erotic glamor are also frustrated older males with one last thing to do on the "Bucket List". They have both a HD and a Corvette in their garage. I know it is a stretch on the stereotyping so don't jump all over me.

I wasn't equating the performance of a Corvette with that of a Harley Davidson.

I knew that, I was just being a little sarcastic.

The thought of an older male, divorced, midlife crisis, poor self-image, libido problems comes to mind.

Then again, I had a CTS-V blow by me on the gas last week. WOW! I had no idea a Caddy could sound, or GO, like that. Maybe it was that guy.

Keeping with the automobile analogy, one can look at Land Rovers as a parallel with beemers. Similarities include: designed with function over fashion (most of the time), styling a bit out of the ordinary, capable of covering long distances over many types of roads, more than adequate power, designed for durability (with a few design foibles all but denied in extremis by the manufacturer), boutique branding, boutique pricing, maybe a few more that I can't think of. Of course the Munchens likely think the best auto comparison is their own lne of cars/trucks - you may have seen a few on the road :)

Bikes vs. cars: Working at Bob's BMW, time point about fifteen years ago (it would not hold today), we made a informal check of what cars our customers are driving. What came out on top was SAAB! Same things, utility with a bit of luxury, perceived quality, good but not extreme performance, out of the main stream. Note: Both Bob and I had one! :)

Well, the only two Harley riders I've know have been coworkers, and they both refused to ride their motorcycles to work on cold days. Keep in mind I live and work in the LA basin. Me? Temperature didn't matter, and neither did rain, unless it was coming down in buckets when it was time to go to work (a very rare event). Both these guys talked the talk but wouldn't walk the walk.

It's been said a hundred times before, but yesterday I had had personal confirmation of the difference between BMW and Harley riders. I partcipated in my first benefit ride yesterday. I shy away from such events because I'm not too keen on being in the middle of a group of riders that I don't know. I can't even explain to myself why I agreed to do yesterday's ride... probably just curiosity/novelty.

There were about 400 bikes in attendance. Three were BMWs. There were about 20 sportbikes. The rest were Harleys. It was striking being surrounded by so much leather, chrome, bandanas, and patches. It makes no sense to me. It doesn't appeal to me, but clearly the majority of those who buy Harleys are buying into a lifestyle. They value the group identity, and the bike is their admission ticket. People who buy BMWs are buying the bike because they want to ride.

BTW... riding in a massive procession was interesting. The police shut down all the intersections along the route, and I really enjoyed for once being the one holding up traffic for everyone else! OTOH, it was miserable from a riding experience. The GT absolutely hates riding at a steady 30 mph. The Harley seems built for it.

Basically, it boils down to- they suck, and we're cool. I'm always perplexed that they don't get it, and always reassured that we do. Really, if they were more like us, wouldn't the world be a better place? The really frustrating thing is- why can't they see it for what it is?

And, on the other hand, can an inanimate object absolutely hate?

I know there is a big segment of HD riders who like the show more than the go, but don't you notice on long rides that there are a ton of Harley riders who appear to be putting on plenty of miles in all kinds of weather?

We were recently out west and, by far, the largest % of riders (many with out of state plates) were riding Harleys. Most were in real small groups or riding single or two-up, so these wren't HD group tours. Yes, Harley sells more bikes, but I think the % riding good distances would rival most other brands overall. It's the same pretty much anywhere you go.

I believe the "HD riders don't ride" isn't true. Overall there are more similarities than differences between them and us.

Maybe it's leathers vs. textiles, but it's still a uniform.

I'm with Vinny on this one; I see and have personally met many long distance Harley Davidson riders -- many of whom put us to shame in fact. They don't have Gerbings or heated grips, yet they're out there in the rain and cold just like many of us.

One obvious example are the law enforcment officers in the northern parts of our country. I engaged in a discussion with some Boston Motorcycle Officers a few years back. It was very cold day, yet they were still out there on the Harley's. I asked them why they don't wear heated gear, or at least heated gloves, so that if need be, their hands are pliable enough to enable them to shoot straight!

The myth that they consist only of posers is just that, a myth.

Like others have noted, every brand has folks who fall into different camps (aka, stereotypes) and as a ratio I'm sure there as many hard-core HD riders as BMW riders. We have friends in their 60's who live for a reason to take a long road trip, i.e., no trailering to Sturgis for them. I think they rode up to D.C. this past weekend to take place in a political rally regarding the health care debate.

Conversely, I've seen some really nice BMWs with every conceivable option up for sale with very low mileage and I'd bet that the owners had some nice riding gear that had hardly been used as well.

So, I'm guessing that based on sheer numbers of units sold per year, there are probably more hard core HD riders than those who ride BMWs... but that's just a WAG.

It doesn't appeal to me, but clearly the majority of those who buy Harleys are buying into a lifestyle. They value the group identity, and the bike is their admission ticket.

That reminds me of the famous Hollister incident in 1947. I long assumed and myth tends to support it that the Harley Davidson lifestyle began there.

Outlaw motorcycle clubs like the HA also formed here. For many HD riders, reliving the past by emulating it today is the only thing that matters. Buying, riding, owning and supporting anything made in America is a big part of that lifestyle.

http://www.bikernet.com/news/PageViewer.asp?PageID=1603

Straight pipers, where have we heard that before?

http://www.salinasramblersmc.org/History/Classic_Bike_Article.htm

Dave McReynolds

It's always seemed enigmatic to me. If I really wanted to be an outlaw, the last thing I'd want to do is to look like one. If I wanted to be an outlaw and stay out of jail as long as possible, I'd probably try to look like a CPA. On the other hand, if I really didn't want to be an outlaw, but wanted to dress up like one is supposed to look because it's more fun than dressing up like a CPA, then I guess it all makes sense.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between an HD and an metric look-a-like so I may be wrong. However whenever I'm out riding the backroads or interstates by far the majority of riders I see, in groups or solo, are on HDs. So they are riding them I assure you. The next brand I see most often is BMW. What I find odd is that several years back the bike I most often saw was a Goldwing touring. Ain't that way anymore. BMW is a lifestyle too as I see it. What you aren't likely to see is a large group of BMWs parked outside a bar. Cafe's okay. I'm surprised that we haven't blamed hippies for these uninhibited HDers. I think the real difference between us is they prefer their two pistons to go up and down and we prefer ours to go in and out. I still like the words said before that HD riders ride to party with other riders and BMW riders like to ride to do some more riding. Ride on!

Archived