IGNORED

Dual Low Beam Failure - Vector?

bayoubengal

Searched for archives for 30 minutes and could not find specific info I need. Both of my low beams (L and R) failed on my 2006 R1200RT over the weekend. Seems like a long shot event to me. Not sure if simultaneous or not. Is this a trend item? Or is it more likely I have a switch problem? My high beam is operable.

If I end up changing bulbs:

1) Do I have options? Brighter type bulbs? What kind and where to buy? Change high beam also?

2) Any tricks to physically changing them? I saw enough on a couple of htreads to lead me to believe it is not a simple job.

Quick answer Hutch. It's common for both bulbs to go out at nearly the same time so I wouldn't read anything sinister into that. Second, the consensus seems to be (at least it's my experience) is you can replace with higher output bulbs at the cost of a greatly reduced bulb life. For me, given my reduced night riding, it wasn't worth it (18k miles on original bulbs, around 1500 miles on the high output). YMMV.

As far as changing them, I have huge hands, so I clear a path. Instead of spending 30 minutes trying to get it done the 'right' way, I pull the side covers, instrument covers, and the front end. That takes 10 minutes or so. Then I spend 30 seconds changing the bulb. Then I spend 10 more minutes putting it back together. It's overkill, but I don't bleed this way, and its less frustrating.

Quick answer Hutch. It's common for both bulbs to go out at nearly the same time so I wouldn't read anything sinister into that. Second, the consensus seems to be (at least it's my experience) is you can replace with higher output bulbs at the cost of a greatly reduced bulb life. For me, given my reduced night riding, it wasn't worth it (18k miles on original bulbs, around 1500 miles on the high output). YMMV.

What he said, except that we got 8k miles on the high output bulbs, and they are noticeably better at lighting things up. Never the less, we are back to standard bulbs.

I am lucky to have a wife with small hands. Remove right side upper panel for better access. Clips are a PITA. Get someone with very small hands to do it.

Both of mine blew out within a week.

I replaced mine with some Phillips x-tream power bulbs but you that I bought from here not a very good option if both bulbs are burned out.

They are a PITA to change, but you have already figured that out! I used a piece of fuel hose over the one of the bulb terminals to assist in positioning the new bulb and holding it in place while I secured the clips in the head light assembly. This acted like an extension and kept one of my hands out of the way creating enough room for the other hand to secure the clips. Took all of 30 seconds once I created the extension with the fuel hose.

Last summer I replaced both low beams with "fancy" bulbs I had bought from the UK. Both blew simultaneously on start-up only six weeks later. Despite having a second set of the "fancy" bulbs, I replaced them with standard GE brand H-7s available at auto supply sores and the like. The left side is easier than the right. I just get in there with my hands as described in the owners' manual. I would not bother changing the high beam. I have 53,000 miles on my '06 and still have the original high beam bulb. I carry two spares on the bike.

Easy to change, remove tuperware and dash plate. Done.

I blew both low beams on the way over to Lancaster NH. I had PIAA bulbs. 7000km and $250.00 CND. As mentioned here, I now buy my bulbs at WALMart. I keep extras under the seat with a 1/4 drive torque to remove fasteners.

07 R1200RT, my first bulb blew 5000km. As RT owners it seems to be something we must live with.

Stick with the cheap bulbs.

Doesn't sound common to me. They have similar life, so it is possible, but not common. Replace them and if it happens again, I would strongly suspect another cause.

My two bulbs blew this summer at maybe 4Kmi between. I replace them as they blew with hopes to stagger the life a bit and avoid a dual blow. I too bought the cheapies from the autoparts store, which happen to match the OEM Osram part number exactly.

I hate to store a spare, since they take a beating in their own packaging due to vibrations. I did this and the paint around the bulb wore off onto the plastic package. Sure, I could package them better, but why bother. The bulb is very common and I have high beams and motolights if both just happen to fail together.

Well after all your inputs I'm leaning to go with the standards. Before I jump in, what is the trick with the clips? What type of clip is it? Sending my seat off to RDL Monday so I have a couple of weeks to play...

To replace remove the dashboard surround. Which means all the tupperware including the mirrors to gain access to the screws needed to remove the surround. That is the fastest least PIA method. I have H7 bulbs in both my cars too. In the RT, and cars all bulbs have been replaced. I now think H7 bulbs are not up to the duty that previous bulbs(H4 I think) have been in all my bikes and cars. H7 suck.

malcolmblalock

Common or not, I lost both low bulbs on startup last summer. Since then, I've replaced low bulbs on both sides 3 times, and have one burned out as I write this.

Wish I knew how to stop the bulbs from blowing; it's getting expensive and a major pita. The little plastic things at the end of the wires that plugs into the lights are both long gone, so I work with bare terminals to connect the wires to the bulbs.

For a "quality" bike, this is one significant shortcoming.

I get 18-20K miles on high output bulbs (philps vision plus) - about the same as I got with the original bulbs.

I don't understand why BMW doesn't put a better light system on 1200RT's. My 90's jeep has had the same bulbs in for the last 130K km. My 2005RT has had 3 left and 4 right low beam bulbs in 54K km. Two of the bulbs were $45 ea PIAA Extreme White bulbs which lasted the shortest amount of time. I think it may be time for HID. Think of the money I would have saved if I had installed HID's from day one.

Jeff

If it helps, I find it much easier to install the low beam bulbs from below, front between the forks. No plastic removed. High beam still has to be from above but some long nosed pliers help with the clips.

hth

\v/

UK

Archived