IGNORED

Re: ABS II on the new 1200R

MadDuck

I was looking at the pricing on the new 1200R on the BMW web site, it lists as an option the ABSII as being $1100 dollars and a note that it is disconnectiable??? I've never heard of a BMW street model with such a feature but would be interested as I spend a half hour every now and then driving gravel roads. Coincidentally enough my dealer has a white 1200R sitting on his showroom floor right now.

Earl Moon the BMW mechanic assures me that the ABS on that motorcycle is not disconnectable. ANy one have any ideas what the web site is talking about??

The second generation Integral ABS unit is the same part number on all the hexheads. The GS connects a pin from the electrical connector on the unit to the ABS switch on the left handlebar so the ABS can be disabled. That pin is not connected on other models, but there is no reason why the same switch couldn't be installed on other R1200s.

I was looking at the pricing on the new 1200R on the BMW web site, it lists as an option the ABSII as being $1100 dollars and a note that it is disconnectiable??? I've never heard of a BMW street model with such a feature but would be interested as I spend a half hour every now and then driving gravel roads. Coincidentally enough my dealer has a white 1200R sitting on his showroom floor right now.

Earl Moon the BMW mechanic assures me that the ABS on that motorcycle is not disconnectable. ANy one have any ideas what the web site is talking about??

MadDuck, something doesn’t seem right with that web listing.. BMW hasn’t used the ABSll (ABS2) system since about 2001.. The early R bikes of that era did have as dash switch to temporarily disable the ABS..

You sure the advertisement was for the R1200R & not the R1100R? Or that what you read wasn’t referring to the IABSll (IABS2) system.. The IABSll system can be disabled on the 1200GS & (I think) the 1200S..

While the IABSll controllers are about the same the internal programming is specific per vehicle & new units must be programmed to each bike..

Twisty

The spec sheet for the R1200R on the BMW Motorcycle web site says Integral ABS II (Disconnectable). The same wording is used on the R1200GS spec sheet.

Karl, that is the I-ABS II (Integral-ABS II) not the ABS II system of old..

As far a being able to turn it off? I guess there is no reason they couldn’t use the GS system.. Maybe something new,, or maybe a mis-print..

Twisty

Is it possible that they deliver two abs systems. The one with the "standard option" set and a stand alone system that can be ordered "disconnectable". We all know that BMW would never let an error propagate thru their website.

I guess after three years without a BMW I am starting to get the itch for a 1200 again. Another question, have their been many difficulties with the newest ABS, post power assist???

The GS connects a pin from the electrical connector on the unit to the ABS switch on the left handlebar so the ABS can be disabled. That pin is not connected on other models, but there is no reason why the same switch couldn't be installed on other R1200s.

It's not that easy, the software is different.

MadDuck, I looked it up on their (BMW’s) web site last night & sure enough it says “disconenctable”.. No other info.. I’m not sure if that means there is a “defeat” switch like the GS or you can just have the dealer disconnect it & not have it set a failure code after being disconnected.. I guess time will tell when someone gets one & fills us in on the operation..

As to your ABS question; I presume by newest ABS system you are referring to the (late 2008 up) I-ABS gen 2 system? Most don’t know it but that is still power assisted to the rear brake when the front brake lever is used.. That is how the linking is accomplished.. There is a direct rear brake pedal link to the rear brake that doesn’t go through the rear servo assist though..

So far very few failure reports but it hasn’t been out all that long yet (late 2008).. I have it on my 09 RT & it seems to work pretty good.. A little more rear brake apply off the front lever than I would normally like but it does work good & does allow independent rear brake usage as a stand alone..

With no power servo assist to the front & the rear pedal manual apply it is a much better system when in failure mode than the older dual servo I-ABS system..

Twisty

Twisty,

Thanks for the info, I am just starting my decision process as to what to do. Am looking for longer range for riding out west again in a couple of years, so no real hurry. My Buell ULY has been great but that 4 gallon tank is a problem. Even the 5 gallon tank on the Street Glide can be an issue in Utah.

The 05 RT had two issues the ABS sensors actied up for me and that first gear made riding in stop and go traffic an issue.

I am currently thinking of an RT with a low suspension and normal seat. That K1300GT call is pretty strong too. This spring I sell two harleys and start the hunt in earnest.

Thanks again for all your help.

Archived