IGNORED

276C Question

MattS

Was playing around with one in a driveway yesterday, under the pretense of maybe getting one or a 376C.

Way more settings than the 2610 is a Good Thing ... one really nice one is the ability within Map Setup to turn on or off different classes of roads -- interstate highways, divided highways, local roads, railroads and so forth.

The question: if these roads are turned off in Map Setup, and do not display ... will the autorouter use or avoid these roads? My assumption is that they would be used and routed, just not displayed. It would be better if it were the other way.

The question: if these roads are turned off in Map Setup, and do not display ... will the autorouter use or avoid these roads? My assumption is that they would be used and routed, just not displayed. It would be better if it were the other way.

I know that the autorouter will use roads that are not displayed.

Is it an issue?. One set of settings for what you see, another for what you use for routing. Works for me.

One thing I *do* wish was that the marine and road modes were a bit more flexible. It would be nice to be able to switch between two different sets of settings. Back-roads and interstate, for example, using this feature.

Is it an issue?

No. Just couldn't test it (or didn't think to) when I first saw that ... the 2610 has no such option: to turn on and off individual classes of roads.

So it's a plus, just wanted to know the specifics.

will the autorouter use or avoid these roads?

It uses them. There are other controls to limit what the autorouter uses.

To be very picky, you aren't turning the roads off, just controlling at what display levels they appear on the map.

It looks funny to turn off the interstates. The on/off ramps still show!!!

Way more settings than the 2610 is a Good Thing

Usually. The marine side is even more involved what with all the sonar / fishfinder stuff. Makes me want to buy a boat just to play with it! smile.gif

More useful to me is the ability to totally configure the various pages. I really like having the full screen size available for the map page with just the 4 corners used for information (overlay text mode). This makes the best use of the display. Of course all four information fields can be individually selected. I display elevation, speed, distance next, and distance destination.

Distance next is the really important one. It's really the distance to the next turn the GPS thinks I need to make. Knowing this value allows me to run without having to hook up the sound. I know I can ignore the GPS until about 1 minute before the turn when the 276C pops up the turn directions complete with a picture.

I also like the highly configurable trip computer page. My favorite setup has 14 display fields of which 10 are selectable. The four fixed fields are compass, current location, time/date, and nearest item (type of item is selectable). The 10 configurable fields I currently have selected are ETA Next, ETA Destination, Odometer, Max Speed, Moving Average Speed, Total Average Speed, Moving Timer, Trip Timer, Time of Sunset, Voltage.

Can you tell I like my 276C? smile.gif

Stan

The marine side is even more involved what with all the sonar / fishfinder stuff. Makes me want to buy a boat just to play with it!

Hey, new bathtub toys to play with! smile.gif

Hey, new bathtub toys to play with!

What a need idea! Toy boat, throw some tropical fish into the bathtub, just need to find a 1 watt sonar....... smile.gif

Stan

Archived